Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What to look for in a 01 Tranny pan

After reading many posts about 00-02 and tranny problems, what should I look for when I get me Tranny flushed this weekend. Metal in the pan and any thing else.
The only issue I feel is going on is a delay in shifting from 2nd-3rd first start until about 10 mins or so of driving and htis happens during normal time on the road sometimes.
It has 94,000 now and I have owned it since it had 82,000. No records came with it.

Any help would be great...

Or should I use the Search option :)

·
Registered
910 Posts
Are you going to flush the system or change the fluid? If you take it to a shop for a flush, they won't drop the pan and the old stuff goes out.

If you're doing this at home, you'll drain the fluid into a drain pain via the drain plug on the trans pan. Look at the fluid for metal particles. Some is alright. When you drop the pan, look for metal particles in the bottom. There are several magnets in the bottom of the pan that typically get coated with a fine sludge of metal. This is all typical. Now, if the fluid smells burned or you see large chunks of metal, there's a problem.

These units use a metal screen. No need to replace. You can remove and clean with brake clean spray. I have installed a Magnafine inline trans filter on my unit. They are available from IPT and a few other sources.

·
Premium Member
6,857 Posts
If you see this at the bottom of the pan, it's not good:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts