Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my truck does not have a tow package I wanted to have a transmission cooler installed. When the shop that does my work looked at the truck the mechanic said that it didn't use a conventional cooler but that the transmission was water cooled. How does that type of system work?

Thanks

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,556 Posts
Vehicles are designed so that the transmission fluid line runs through the the radiator to 1. warm the fluid when cold, and 2. take advantage of the cooling properties of the vehicle's coolant system to moderate excessive ATF heat. The addition of the external transmission cooler is beneficial for what would be considered "heavy duty", i.e. those who tow, operate in stop-and-go traffic, etc.

Do a search in the Gen-1 forum for "transmission cooler" and you'll find a wealth of info on brand, size options, etc.

When/if you get one installed, I also suggest you install a Magnefine inline ATF filter. With the cooler in, it's an easy addition and extra peace of mind for your $15 investment.

·
Registered
216 Posts
The mechanic is an idiot. AN ATF loop on the side, top, or bottom of a radiator is 'conventional' and pretty much standard across just about every automaker.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Go with a stacked plated design. Summit Racing has the ever popular B&M 70264 model fer about $60 plus S&H. :D

I have 2 of these on my T-100...gitting ready to disconnect the stock cooler and run it strictly on the auxiliary coolers only. That way if the stock cooler were to blow up...it doesn't take out the cooling system and the transmission at the same time. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts