Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been lurking around here for a while and have read all of the post related to Transmission problem and fixes. I have a 2000 limited 4wd with 70,000 miles on it. I haven't really experienced any transmission problems and want to do what I can to keep it that way. I have decided to use the "Auto-RX' product talked about on this forum and then switch to a better quality ATF. My question is, those of you who have switched to the synthetic ATFs like AMSOIL or Mobile 1 or ?, Did you notice any improvement in the way your transmission works/shifts? and what type of fluid are you using? Doesn't the 2000-02 transmissions call for different fluid that the 03-04 models? Can I safely use the synthetics in my 2000?
Thanks for your response. John

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Use the red kind.
Just kidding, I used Toyota fluid, I think it cost me about $25 for the fluid. I did notice it shifted much smoother, like it did when I first got the truck. As far as mobil 1 or amsoil, sorry but I couldn't tell you. I do use mobil 1 in my motor and rear end, just not my trans. I'm sure either one would be fine, both are quality stuff.:tu:

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Use the red kind.
Just kidding, I used Toyota fluid, I think it cost me about $25 for the fluid. I did notice it shifted much smoother, like it did when I first got the truck. As far as mobil 1 or amsoil, sorry but I couldn't tell you. I do use mobil 1 in my motor and rear end, just not my trans. I'm sure either one would be fine, both are quality stuff.:tu:
Toyota stuff is always good to use. I know Royal Purple has synthetic ATF. The trasmission holds alot more than what comes out doing a simple drain, so it will take a few changes to get fully synthetic throughout.

Just remeber to put the right amount of ATF back in. Right tundrunk!!lol:D:tu:

·
Registered
216 Posts
You can use ANY ATF that meets the spec's you require.
Synthetics are always safe to use. No need for Autorx.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The #1 cause of 2000-2002 Tundra transmission failure is owner failure to lock out the overdrive when hauling very heavy loads or towing. Conventional transmission fluid keeps the insides of Toyota transmissions immaculately clean, hence synthetics and additives won't make the already clean transmission cleaner nor will they reduce wear. And Mobil 1 synthetic transmission fluid turns dark just as fast as conventional fluid does.

The 2000 models use Dexron type fluid. Toyota makes their own conventional Dexron II and III approved fluid, available in one quart bottles from Toyota dealers and it's specifically formulated by Toyota for use in Toyota transmissions that call for Dexron II and III fluid. Also ideal for Toyota power steering systems.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Toyota ATF's are marginal at best for our trannies. You were wise to use Auto-Rx. I personally like using Schaeffer's Alltrans #204 SAT. But I'm sure that Mobli 1 ATF or AMSOIL ATF would be a much bigger improvement over the Toyota fluids too. Make sure you do a T-Tech flush after you have finished with the ARX treatment. Enjoy your new tranny!

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Using the cheap Advance Auto Part brand ATF here with no problems whatsoever. U have changed my ATF probably 7 times in 3 years and using all different brands of fluids and no single one made the tranny shift better or smoother.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I used Toyota ATF for the first change and even the parts guy at the dealership said to use any ATF that meets the specs and not to waste my money on Toyota's. After that i went to Castrol for Imports ATF and the tranny acted exactly the same. I've also asked several mechanics and they all say as long as the ATF meets the specs, it's fine to use.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,562 Posts
Using the cheap Advance Auto Part brand ATF here with no problems whatsoever. U have changed my ATF probably 7 times in 3 years and using all different brands of fluids and no single one made the tranny shift better or smoother.
If your shift solenoids and valves are clean, then switching to a synthetic by itself won't generate any difference in operational (shifting) feedback. What synthetic ATF will do is help lower peak operating temperatures which will prolong transmission life substantially.

FWIW, I switched to Mobil-1 ATF after treating my tranny for hard shifts with Auto-Rx and it has been flawless.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Has Mobil, Amsoil, Royal Purple, etc., ever been willing to show the public photos of the degree of cleanliness and amount of wear inside an automatic transmission after 400,000 miles of using conventional ATF? Nope. Instead, to generate sales, the executives of those companies claim synthetic ATF: "provides outstanding resistance to oil breakdown and deposits even under severe duty and high temperatures." The executives know that when potential buyers read a statement like that, many will IMAGINE and FANTASIZE that synthetics will extend transmission life significantly, hence will buy synthetic.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
I just ordered v322 Valvoline 75000 miles The red jug one. Got them on Amazon for 14.7/gal Too bad they don't have it in stock. Will do complete flush on both vehicles once it comes in month or so.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Actually, I've used synthetics as bandaids for poorly engineered transmission. And, the life of those transmissions with synthetic ATF tripled compared to using a mineral ATF. Not ever vehicle is competently engineered.

For my Toyota, I use synthetic everywhere since it improves my MPG. We have short summers and my fluid take a while to get up to temperature during the rest of the year. So, I could care less about how clean the transmission is or whether the ATF will survive high temperatures. Its my most significant MPG mod. If everything lasts longer, great!

The VV322 Valvoline is great stuff. Have used it in many vehicles and never a fluid related failure.

And, I've rebuilt plenty of transmissions in my younger years. I don't need Amsoil or Mobil1 or Royalpurple to prove anything. The proof is in the number of failures every year and the number of transmission shops in your yellow pages. Very surprised at the causes and many can be prevented with quality ATF and upgrades. Synth is an easy upgrade whether needed or not.

·
Super Moderator
8,562 Posts
Transmission fluid is the fluid used in vehicles with self shifting or automatic transmissions. It is typically colored red or green to distinguish it from motor oil and other fluids in the vehicle. On most vehicles its level is checked with a dipstick while the engine is running.
Well, that was helpful. :crazya:

:focus:

·
Super Moderator
8,562 Posts
...Conventional transmission fluid keeps the insides of Toyota transmissions immaculately clean, hence synthetics and additives won't make the already clean transmission cleaner nor will they reduce wear. And Mobil 1 synthetic transmission fluid turns dark just as fast as conventional fluid does.
Care to back that up with any empirical evidence or do you just spout unsubstantiated assertions and call it a day?

Has Mobil, Amsoil, Royal Purple, etc., ever been willing to show the public photos of the degree of cleanliness and amount of wear inside an automatic transmission after 400,000 miles of using conventional ATF? Nope. Instead, to generate sales, the executives of those companies claim synthetic ATF: "provides outstanding resistance to oil breakdown and deposits even under severe duty and high temperatures." The executives know that when potential buyers read a statement like that, many will IMAGINE and FANTASIZE that synthetics will extend transmission life significantly, hence will buy synthetic.
Well, let's break this wandering slant down, shall we?

In the previous post of yours, you asserted that "...Conventional transmission fluid keeps the insides of Toyota transmissions immaculately clean..." Immaculate? Really? Based on what testing or evidence? Oh, that's right... none. Would you care to list core reasons for failed transmissions?

You are backhandedly trying to make the claim that you know more about internal transmission wear than Mobil, Amsoil, et al. Sorry friend, I don't buy it.

Then, you spout out the "big-oil boogeyman defense" of your position. Yikes. Seriously? LOL!

More tests than you will ever understand have conclusively determined that synthetic formulations are far superior to conventional petroleum-sourced bases in temperature and friction minimization, cold-point pour, viscosity breakdown and shearing reduction, etc etc.

Don't think that you can just spew unsubstantiated rumor, opinion, innuendo, and fallacious argumentation and pass it off as fact. There are some here who happen to know what you are trying to talk about.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Conventional transmission fluid keeps the insides of Toyota transmissions immaculately clean..." Immaculate? Really? Based on what testing or evidence? You are backhandedly trying to make the claim that you know more about internal transmission wear than Mobil, Amsoil, et al. Sorry friend, I don't buy it.
At wrecking yards I've looked at the insides of many 30-40 year old Toyota automatics + I own two Toyotas with automatics that are 37 years old and know their service history (never a drop of synthetic fluid yet their transmssion oil pans and internals are immaculately clean and the transmissions are still working fine, never overhauled, etc.)

I also have 17 years experience using Mobil 1 synthetic ATF in one Toyota since the vehicle was new and noted the synthetic turned dark just as fast as conventional does, generated just as much wear debris on the magnets in the tranny oil pan and didn't keep the transmission cleaner.

Mobil doesn't claim their Synthetic ATF extends transmission life compared to conventional fluid. Mobil only claims: "this fully synthetic formula provides outstanding resistance to oil breakdown and deposits, even under severe duty and high temperatures" and "helps extend transmission life."

Yes, advertizing executives claim synthetics are have superior "temperature and friction minimization, cold-point pour, viscosity breakdown and shearing reduction" because they know people will tend to IMAGINE and FANTASIZE that those characteristics will enable synthetics to extend transmission life significantly, hence will buy synthetic. These executives laugh all the way to the bank because they know the wording they used was sufficient to make countless thousands of people switch to synthetic without providing them with real world test evidence that synthetic actually extends transmission life significantly.

Mobil Synthetic ATF' has been on the market for about 25 years yet in all that time Mobil has not provided real world test evidence or even owner testimonials of significantly extended transmission life because Mobil knows the evidence would show there is no significant benefit hence sales would plunge if this evidence became common knowledge.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
I just received some Valvoline 70K high mileage. Will see what it does. No problems with tranny, just duno whats in there (bought used in december). So once i change it will post some info about the A$s Dyno results. Got 6 gallons for Tundra and Corolla.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
I just received some Valvoline 70K high mileage. Will see what it does. No problems with tranny, just duno whats in there (bought used in december). So once i change it will post some info about the A$s Dyno results. Got 6 gallons for Tundra and Corolla.
I ran the same stuff at one time in mine. No difference than others to my senses.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts