Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at getting an extended warranty. Trying to figure out what is the best for us year/mileage wise.

My truck is an 07 that I purchased 12/07. It now has 34K (had 4k when purchased), so I put 30K in a little over two years. So we are thinking more milage would be better, like the 5yr/100k over the 6yr/100k.

Let me know if you think I'm on the right track of thinking.

How is the platinum extended warranty anyway, anyone use it yet? The powertrain is already 6yr/60K so is it worth spending more for an extended warranty?

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
When it says "5 year, xxxxx miles" it doesn't mean from the time you buy the warranty. It's from the time the vehicle was originally put into service. So, if your truck was put on the road in Sept 07, then a 5 year warranty would only go to Sept 2012.

I bought the Platinum warranty the day I bought my new truck. It's better than the standard warranties we get. The benefits are that it covers everything, bumper-to-bumper, which the standard warranty does not. It also includes roadside assistance, rental car coverage, towing, and even covers food/hotel expenses if you're away from home and it breaks down. It's an "unlimited" warranty, instead of the standard "limited" warranty that comes with our trucks' stock. I got mine for only $920, and it was an 8-year, 75k mile warranty (I only do around 7-10k miles per year)

If I were you, I'd look for an 8 year, 100k mile Platinum warranty.... since you put about 15k miles per year - 15k X another 5 years = 75k miles, plus the 34k you already have (which gets up to 109k miles)... I think that's your best bet.

If you get it from one of the vendors on TS, you can probably get it for around $1,000 or so, and it's also transferable, so it'll help your re-sale. Make sure to get it before the truck hits 36k miles, or 3 years in service.

Good luck!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I got the Gold Plus extended warranty on my used '04 DC LTD from the dealer since I did not know how good the previous owner kept up on service. I've had it 1.3 years and have put 6k on it so far. It was worth it to me, (a little peace of mind). If I had it do to over again, I'd still purchase the extended plan.
Good luck to you and happy truck'in.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Platinum warranty is really good, no deductable, I went 7 years 75,000 miles for my '07. Only have 16,000 miles on it. Depends on your driving habits.

·
Registered
179 Posts
i'm about to make that purchase myself 8yr 75k, mine is an 07 only 7k on the clock don't do much driving with it. i was quoted $920 as well but i had seen another member bought it for $880

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
When it says "5 year, xxxxx miles" it doesn't mean from the time you buy the warranty. It's from the time the vehicle was originally put into service. So, if your truck was put on the road in Sept 07, then a 5 year warranty would only go to Sept 2012.

I bought the Platinum warranty the day I bought my new truck. It's better than the standard warranties we get. The benefits are that it covers everything, bumper-to-bumper, which the standard warranty does not. It also includes roadside assistance, rental car coverage, towing, and even covers food/hotel expenses if you're away from home and it breaks down. It's an "unlimited" warranty, instead of the standard "limited" warranty that comes with our trucks' stock. I got mine for only $920, and it was an 8-year, 75k mile warranty (I only do around 7-10k miles per year)

If I were you, I'd look for an 8 year, 100k mile Platinum warranty.... since you put about 15k miles per year - 15k X another 5 years = 75k miles, plus the 34k you already have (which gets up to 109k miles)... I think that's your best bet.

If you get it from one of the vendors on TS, you can probably get it for around $1,000 or so, and it's also transferable, so it'll help your re-sale. Make sure to get it before the truck hits 36k miles, or 3 years in service.

Good luck!
well its "better" than the powertrain warranty but not the bumper to bumper factory warranty. that warranty covers basically everything. no extended warranty, even the platinum, covers everything. if u look at this list, tons of people have had these items replaced under the factory 3.36k mile warranty....mainly trim items. so no, a platinum warranty is not better than the factory warranty. but its about as good of an exteneded warranty as there is

"Note: Platinum protection covers virtually all component groups on new vehicles. If your new vehicle's component does not appear on our List of Excluded Components , it is covered by Platinum protection."

"List of Excluded Components
  • Accessory Drive Belts
  • Batteries
  • Body Panels
  • Brake Linings, Pads and Shoes
  • Bumpers
  • Carpet
  • Chrome
  • Clutch Friction Disk and Pressure Plate
  • Dash Cover and Pad
  • Door Trim, Handles and Fabric
  • Filters
  • Fluids
  • Glass (including Windshield)
  • Headliner
  • Heating Hoses, Lines and Tubes
  • Hinges
  • Hybrid System Main Relays
  • Hybrid Vehicle Battery
  • Hybrid Vehicle Battery Module/Pack
  • Hoses
  • Interior and Exterior Trim Moldings, including but not limited to, Cup Holders, Ashtrays, Covers, and Vents
  • Lamps
  • Light Bulbs
  • Nuts, Bolts, Clips, Retainers and Fasteners
  • Paint
  • Rotors and Drums
  • Rust and Corrosion Damage
  • Seat Covers
  • Service Plug
  • Shiny Metals
  • Spark Plugs
  • Structural Framework and Wells
  • Tires
  • Vacuum Hoses, Lines and Tubes
  • Weather Stripping
  • Wheels and Rims
  • Windshield Wiper Blades (Rubber Component)"

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
I've never wasted my money on extended warranties because they always cost a fortune and don't cover many things. Of course I work on my own vehicles, so my opinion is swayed by that fact alone. If you rely on others for your car work, it might be worth it to you, but do your homework first and ask lots of questions about the coverage (and get them in writing).

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
I've never wasted my money on extended warranties because they always cost a fortune and don't cover many things. Of course I work on my own vehicles, so my opinion is swayed by that fact alone. If you rely on others for your car work, it might be worth it to you, but do your homework first and ask lots of questions about the coverage (and get them in writing).
well considering the cost of the warranty is less than replacing one of the air injection pumps that goes out on several of these 2nd gen trucks, id say it was worth it. and 800-900 for a warranty certainly isnt a fortune especially since they cover as much as they do. sure no normal wear and tear items or trim items but electrical stuff, etc yeah. its worth it. even if u just take the parts cost alone...

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Thanks for correcting me DC.... and I agree, the $920 I paid is well worth it; the way I see it, if I use it just once, it's probably already paid for itself. $hit, just the peace of mind I have for 8yrs is almost worth it too...

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
heck yeah its worth it. now if the warranty was a few grand, then it would be up in the air. but the price of parts today is ridiculous.....

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
So Redbull...... did you decide yet? Better hurry up, cause after 3 yrs or 36k miles, you're S.O.L.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Give Jerry Johnson a call at Midwest Toyota (620)662-6631 and he can hook you up. I got my 8yr/100k $0 deductible Platinum for $1149. For a 2wd truck it is $1039. For a 8yr/75k plan it is $769 for a 4wd. Best prices I found will searching.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
...For a 8yr/75k plan it is $769 for a 4wd. Best prices I found while searching.
Dang, that's $151 cheaper than mine... wish I'd known!

·
Registered
330 Posts
The Platinum extended warranty is well worth it and I'm going to tell you guys the best place to buy it! I contacted at least 20-25 places when looking for mine. I bought the 8year/75 platinum friday 2/19/10 from Toyota Of Danville in ILLINOIS FOR $749.00 out the door . I live in TENNESSEE but I sifted through several websites and where people said to check out and called each one. The finance managers name is TERRA DAULTON and is excellent to work with she will tell you the in's and out's of buying the warranty and then you make your decision. The next best price I got was from Midwest Toyota for $769.00. Good luck!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Crap, forgot to give you guys this TOYOTA OF DANVILLE ILLINOIS phone# 1-877-442-8474

·
Registered
50 Posts
i bought a 07 this month and bought the Platinum protection. it was added on to the miles that were on it when i bought which was 38,000. it added another 60,000 miles to it. so it is cover up to 98,000 now or 5 years. also covers if i hit a pot hole and break a strut or anything else it is cover.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts