Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today on the way to work I jabbed the gas a little to get on the freeway.

The power suddenly dropped off, check engine light blinked and had a fairly nasty shimmy. The shimmy almost felt like I was driving on a washboard road.....

After turning the engine off and restarting it runs perfectly...no check engine light.

I have done a fair amount of searching but no limp mode discussion said anything about the shake.

Any thoughts??
~JH

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
you sure it was a check engine light and not the yellow traction light? the shake/shimmy sounds exactly like the traction system operating as it should, and you did jab the gas so likely the tires started to slip, when the system does engage it does cut power and apply brakes causing the truck to feel very much like a washboard road plus you'd hear some god awful marbles in a garbage disposal type pump activity going on pumping the system to control wheel spin. go find ya a wet section of road or dirt and try punching the gas and i bet you find the same exact thing going on.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
you sure it was a check engine light and not the yellow traction light? the shake/shimmy sounds exactly like the traction system operating as it should, and you did jab the gas so likely the tires started to slip, when the system does engage it does cut power and apply brakes causing the truck to feel very much like a washboard road plus you'd hear some god awful marbles in a garbage disposal type pump activity going on pumping the system to control wheel spin. go find ya a wet section of road or dirt and try punching the gas and i bet you find the same exact thing going on.
My thoughts exactly. Traction control is a PITA.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My truck did this today too, after reading all this stuff about the AIP problems I am bit concerned as well.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No BF, clearly it was the check engine light blinking. Had all nannys off.
Had to drive it about 6 miles before I could stop. Idled really rough at lights and shimmed under any acceleration (almost like it was misfiring every other cylinder).

Crazy stuff.

~JH

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
No BF, clearly it was the check engine light blinking. Had all nannys off.
Had to drive it about 6 miles before I could stop. Idled really rough oat lights and shimmed under any acceleration (almost like it was omisfiring every other cylinder).

Crazy stuff.

~JH
Limp wont cause the symptoms your describing. Limp will be smooth just with no power and max of 45mph. Sounds more like a miss fire condition.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I believe one of our other members has been fighting a lot of problems with his S/Cd Tundra.

Look up Beasttundra (I think its his.) I do recall the truck is a lifted black truck.

Hoep you get it all straightened out... and arent you glad you did this instead of a Turbo? At least this will be warranty.

-rockstate

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
I believe one of our other members has been fighting a lot of problems with his S/Cd Tundra.

Look up Beasttundra (I think its his.) I do recall the truck is a lifted black truck.

Hoep you get it all straightened out... and arent you glad you did this instead of a Turbo? At least this will be warranty.

-rockstate
ha. crap. didnt even pay attn to who posted it...of course he already knows what its like when u spin the tires hahaha.

let me post another reply:

its broke.

does sound like a misfire though...and a flashing CEL is for a major misfire that is capable of damaging the cats and emissions system...a not so major misfire will just set codes and a solid light..flashing light means stop it ASAP like you did. scan the codes and see what u get.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
ha. crap. didnt even pay attn to who posted it...of course he already knows what its like when u spin the tires hahaha.

let me post another reply:

its broke.

does sound like a misfire though...and a flashing CEL is for a major misfire that is capable of damaging the cats and emissions system...a not so major misfire will just set codes and a solid light..flashing light means stop it ASAP like you did. scan the codes and see what u get.

Why'd you quote me in your reply? We're tlaking about two different things for the most part

-rockstate

·
Registered
945 Posts
So today on the way to work I jabbed the gas a little to get on the freeway.

The power suddenly dropped off, check engine light blinked and had a fairly nasty shimmy. The shimmy almost felt like I was driving on a washboard road.....

After turning the engine off and restarting it runs perfectly...no check engine light.

I have done a fair amount of searching but no limp mode discussion said anything about the shake.

Any thoughts??
~JH
Shoot Gutz (Franky) a PM. He had this exact same issue a few times while at WOT on his supercharged Tundra and pulled the code. I forget what the code was but I believe the ECU was confused regarding the A/F ratio.

I have also had it happen to me a couple of times since the supercharger was installed. Happened from a dead stop at WOT throttle and check engine light popped on. Same issue as you. Shut the truck off and everything was fine.

There was also a discussion in a thread on this forum but I couldn't find it.

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
Even with all nannies disabled the ECM will chop power if it senses wheelhop during acceleration.

·
Preferred Dealer
117 Posts
Limp mode occurs when the computer reads a faulty signal or a signal out of logic from any number of sensors. When you pull the code it should be able to help you atleast trouble shoot which line of sensors. Because the signal may not be safe for the engine specification, the computer initiates a secondary program "limp mode" its designed to protect the rest of your car from over revving and faulting the tranny and powertrain.

My advice is just pull the code... sometimes it could be as easy as re-setting the code or maybe just cleaning the sensor... in your case because of the shakes I'm more inclined to think there was a misfire. If you pull the code and post it up, let us know your mods we can probably help more.

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
Seems like I remember reading somewhere about some failures of the ignition coils and/or coil wiring causing something similar. I don't know if that applies to the SC version also??

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Barney_Fife Re: What was this...limp mode or other?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Dealership just replaced my cat system because of failure.
Codes P0420, P0430

I am not certain if it is related to my problems, or they are just bad manufactured cats.

·
Preferred Dealer
117 Posts
The Dealership just replaced my cat system because of failure.
Codes P0420, P0430

I am not certain if it is related to my problems, or they are just bad manufactured cats.
Did they just replace the O2 sensors around the Catalytic Converter or the entire catalytic converter was changed? Those codes basically say your cats are bad which is normally a rare case. It's possible that you have an overly rich air/fuel mixture... if it happens again I'd look there or the Mass air flow sensor. But try to find out what the dealer exactly changed out in case the problem arises again. I've seen these codes spit out at people time and time again which obviously they always begin w/ the O2 sensors and work upwards toward the more expensive parts.

Anyways, glad you got that situated. Let us know if it happens again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts