Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Just sold my Tundra and I'm in the market for a runner. I have ruled out the 2010's... too much money and dont want to buy a first year model. I am basically looking at 1997 - 2002 and 2006 - 2009 . I am looking for a daily driver that I can also do some mild offroading in. Might want to do a 2 - 3 inch lift at some point. Shouldn't have a need to tow anything other than a small utility trailer. Reliability is key as well as mileage. It has to be an automatic.

I really like the 3rd generation body styles and their simplicity. Had a 99 taco that was a dream to own and drive. Seems like these have a little better clearance than 4th gen??? Seem to have a little more aftermarket options... suspension, lift, wheels. Would you agree??

On the other hand, 4th gen definitely have much better power. Being newer, finding a low mileage one is much easier. Also have a good chance of having some remaining factory warranty.

So, knowing this, with price really not being much of a concern, what would you get and why?????? Any years in these ranges that I should definitely avoid???

I appreciate any input you can provide!!
Thanks!

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have a 2003 4Runner with a V6. Couldn't find a V8 model when I was buying. But after talking to folks who own the V8 and driving one, I'd highly recommend the V8 over my V6. Look for one where the VSC can be turned off for mudding. Also, the later model 4Runners came with thicker glass to knock down some of the road noise. The 2010's were a disappoint for me too. If buying today, I'd get a 2010 Sequoia SR5 over the 4Runner.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input Canddmeyer! While I like the looks of the sequoia, I need something with better gas mileage. I have been hesitant to look at V8's due to them being AWD all the time. Everyone I've talked to says they don't get any where near there published mpg while the V6 gets very close to its mpg. Good point on the VSC off feature though, I hated the interference from VSC and TC on my Tundra.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I had an '08 4Runner, with the V-8 and loved it. The amazing thing was that the gas mileage rating was only 1 mpg difference over the 6 cyl. The mileage wasn't bad for a V-8. It was our 3rd 4Runner and I liked it the best. The V-8 power was especially nice

·
Registered
81 Posts
We've had our '04 since, well, it was new. I wanted the V8 and I haven't been disappointed in the power or the mileage. We get between 16 and 18 consistently. My wife gets the MPG on the higher side. I drive faster and get the lower numbers. For a big, heavy, full-time-4WD suv, that's pretty good in my book. My brother has an '02 and his just feels under-powered and less stable at speed. It's all about what you prefer, after all!

·
Registered
142 Posts
I own an 04 Limited Tundra CC, and my wife has an 04 4-Runner Sport 4wd 4.0... to be honest, I was quite pleased with the power the v-6 offers (even compared to my previous 02 AC Tundra Limited), so if you don't do a lot of towing, consider the V-6.... timing chain on these as well.. which I think is a plus. My only real gripe is that you can't turn off the VSC (traction control), so it made fooling around in the snow this past winter not as much fun.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts