Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 6'8" and have the CrewMax limited with sun/moonroof. I want more headroom as I have to lean a bit toward the opening of the sunroof if I don't want to touch the roof. Anyone have any suggestions on how to do this (and yes, the power adjusted seat is all the way down)? I am willing to pay for whatever it takes to get it done. There appears to be plenty of space to lower the seat, I just don't know where to go or who to talk to. Where do I start?
Thanks

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'm 6'8" and have the CrewMax limited with sun/moonroof. I want more headroom as I have to lean a bit toward the opening of the sunroof if I don't want to touch the roof. Anyone have any suggestions on how to do this (and yes, the power adjusted seat is all the way down)? I am willing to pay for whatever it takes to get it done. There appears to be plenty of space to lower the seat, I just don't know where to go or who to talk to. Where do I start?
Thanks
The really tall owners of the '07 Tundra have been having this problem. I'm 5'7" and have no problem at all. I wish I was able to help you, but I'm not sure where to start or how to go about getting this done. Have you talked to your dealer? they may have a suggestion.

Good luck and let us know how you make out:tu:

·
Banned
223 Posts
Thanks
Might try a upholstery shop. A lot of upholsterers have been around the block a time or two and could come up with a way to do it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm looking for an answer not another question.
That's a messed up reply. His question was legit. I've got a question for you being as tall as you are and knowing that you didn't fit comfortably in the truck before you bought it (I'm assuming you at least in it before buying it). Why would you go ahead and buy the truck, why wouldn't you just chalk it up to the fact that maybe it's just not the truck for you and look else where?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Thanks
You might want to try a good body shop that specialies in rebuilding smashed vehicles as oppossed to painting them, these guys are always tearig them apart and then putting them back together and should have good ideas.

You need someone who can improvise and I don't think the dealers can help you there.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's a messed up reply. His question was legit. I've got a question for you being as tall as you are and knowing that you didn't fit comfortably in the truck before you bought it (I'm assuming you at least in it before buying it). Why would you go ahead and buy the truck, why wouldn't you just chalk it up to the fact that maybe it's just not the truck for you and look else where?
Well, with all due respect, I'm looking for a solution to my problem and not a dialogue about why I bought the truck if I didn't fit. I bought the truck, I have the truck, I'm looking for a solution to a problem that I have with the truck.
I did test drive the truck a few times. When I originally did this testing I did notice the minimum amount of head room but since I could only test drive for short periods I didn't think it was going to be an issue given that I naturally lean to the right with my left on the steering wheel (which made headroom clearance O.K.). Yes, I can actually sit straight and balanced (or normal) relative to the steering wheel without touching my head. It was only until I actually had the truck that I noticed on longer rides I couldn't "stretch out", so to speak, to become more comfortable.
Sorry if you felt it was a "messed up" reply but I was trying not to have this thread go in to a direction other than producing a solution for my problem and not a dialogue about why I would have bought the truck if I didn't fit. Again, I'm just looking for a solution.
I've seen to many threads that go off topic with regard to the actual question asked. I was trying to sorta "nip it in the bud". Maybe It sounded a little harsh. Sorry.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The really tall owners of the '07 Tundra have been having this problem. I'm 5'7" and have no problem at all. I wish I was able to help you, but I'm not sure where to start or how to go about getting this done. Have you talked to your dealer? they may have a suggestion.

Good luck and let us know how you make out:tu:
Yes, I talked to 2 different dealers. They, of course, only know stock answers to stock questions. Modifying isn't in their vocabulary. Though I did get some leads to some custom bodyshop/fabricators/machine shop type people. I haven't spoken to any of them yet as its Sunday today.
Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You might want to try a good body shop that specialies in rebuilding smashed vehicles as oppossed to painting them, these guys are always tearig them apart and then putting them back together and should have good ideas.

You need someone who can improvise and I don't think the dealers can help you there.

Gary

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wow! I just posted the same type of issue in my forum intro as a noob! I'm only 6'1" and have the same issue. However, I have not yet bought a Crewmax. When I inspected the vehicle, it appeared to me that there was only one bolt holding the riser onto the powertrack under the seat.

(Having done a lot of work in the past for Johnson Controls and Magna plants that make seats for Ford and Chevy trucks, I'm pretty familiar with how these go together.)

It shouldn't be too big a deal to unbolt the seats from the floor and take off the risers. The risers themselves seem to be straight stamped steel. I did not get to measure, but it looks like there's clearly two inches of rise in the risers. I thought I'd build a jig to bolt the riser to, then cut. overlap, and box weld the risers back together to get as much drop as possible while maximizing the weld area. I don't think a butt weld will be strong enough. You will have to specify 10way power driver side LH riser and RH riser, to get the correct Toyota part numbers and subsequent parts, then find a good fabricator who can make the jig and do the work. Good luck, obviously I'd be very interested to hear what your solution turns out to be.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Try a shop that specializes in re-engineering vehicles for disabled people (present company excepted, of course). They will have experience in modifying car seats. At a minimum, they could probably shift the seat mounting tracks rearward, thus providing you with more legroom, and perhaps more headroom as well depending on the overhead profile.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Gary,
We might be talking apples to oranges here since I have the SR5 DC with power seats and leather and you have the CM limited however they might be the same.
My driver seat rail sits on some brackets that are 2-3" tall. ( I guess for the rear air ducts.etc.). It does not look that it would be that big of a deal for a machine shop to fab some shorter brackets. Also, you may be able to mount the rails to the floor without the brackets. The bracket on the right front looks to be the one that you will get the least amount of drop from.
Too bad that you got the sunroof... as I am sure it took away the extra height inches that you need.

edit:Slmhusker posted the same information while I was typing my post...only he did a much better job of describing the work.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Shrdlu and Slmhusker,

Now that is what I'm looking for. Thanks so much.
Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Gary

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hey Gary, I feel your pain in some ways. I ordered a CrewMax with a moon roof and to defend you from all your nay sayers. I don't know about other regions, but in the DC metro area there weren't many Tundra's sitting arounf in all configurations. I was lucky to test drive one with a 5.7L, let alone a moonroof and that shortens the cab height. On a different note, I am 6'6". Do you think I will have the same problem you do with the moonroof. I was looking at the specs and it is bigger than the 4Runner. I have a 06 4Runner with a moonroof, and my hair brushes the edge of the headliner. No big deal. I expect the Tundra to be better, because it says it is a inch or two higher.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Yes' dumb decision to buy sun roof, when you have marginal head room

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Gary, I feel your pain in some ways. I ordered a CrewMax with a moon roof and to defend you from all your nay sayers. I don't know about other regions, but in the DC metro area there weren't many Tundra's sitting arounf in all configurations. I was lucky to test drive one with a 5.7L, let alone a moonroof and that shortens the cab height. On a different note, I am 6'6". Do you think I will have the same problem you do with the moonroof. I was looking at the specs and it is bigger than the 4Runner. I have a 06 4Runner with a moonroof, and my hair brushes the edge of the headliner. No big deal. I expect the Tundra to be better, because it says it is a inch or two higher.
You will have problems with headroom (because of the sun/moon roof). So I would test drive a few times if you can and see if you can find a seat adjustment to your liking. I don't think you will be able to. The seat just won't go down far enough. Like I said in earlier post, when I test drove it I thought it would be O.K. because it didn't seem to bother me. I thought I would get used to it. It was only after I drove it for awhile that I found it was very uncomfortable.
You need to seriously consider this issue. Dont' take this lightly. I liked the truck so much that I wanted to overlook this problem. Well..... its a problem. But, I think its a fixable problem (it may cost a little money), but it is fixable. If it is fixable it will be worth the extra money to fix it in order to have this truck.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Gary,
We might be talking apples to oranges here since I have the SR5 DC with power seats and leather and you have the CM limited however they might be the same.
My driver seat rail sits on some brackets that are 2-3" tall. ( I guess for the rear air ducts.etc.). It does not look that it would be that big of a deal for a machine shop to fab some shorter brackets. Also, you may be able to mount the rails to the floor without the brackets. The bracket on the right front looks to be the one that you will get the least amount of drop from.

edit:Slmhusker posted the same information while I was typing my post...only he did a much better job of describing the work.
This was my observation as well. I'm sure someone can do this.
Thanks much.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes' dumb decision to buy sun roof, when you have marginal head room
I don't remember asking for members opinion of my decision to buy a Limited CrewMax with sunroof!
I was looking for intelligent responses from thoughtful members who might help me find a solution to my problem.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Gary,

If it's any consolation, I'm going to do the same thing. I love the truck and gotta have the moonroof. Since I knew this was going to be a problem, I went back to the dealer to take a closer look at what could be done about it.

I thought about just moving the seatbck in a more reclined position, but that bunches up my legs and I'd need an extender for the steering column. I figured it's a heckuva lot easier to just mod the risers. Please keep us posted on how you tackle the issue.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts