Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, so Noob question. I am looking at a nice 2010 Tundra but want to make sure it can safely tow my travel trailer. It's the double cab, 6.5 ft bed and 4wd. It is the Tundra Grade with the 5.7 engine and 4.10 axle. It has the factory tow package. When I enter the VIN on Toyota's site down in the Mechanical and Performance section it tells me it can tow 8300lbs. However, everything I've read (and that's a lot) in the last week tells me it should be higher closer to 10,000lbs. I realize it's only the single cab 2WD model that get the highest rating, but is this model really rated 2000lbs less? What am I missing?

Here is the VIN
5TFUY5F14AX139922

Here is a copy and paste from the Toyota website when I put the VIN in
Mechanical & Performance
5.7L iFORCE V8 DOHC 32V Dual Independent VVT-i 381HP/401 lb-ft and ACIS 6-Spd Automatic Trans w/Sequential Shift 4WDemand 4x4 System w/Electronically Controlled 2 Speed Transfer Case GVWR = 7100 lbs. Payload = 1640 lbs. Max Tow Cap = 8300 lbs. Engine Immobilizer, Cruise Control TripleTech Frame: Fully-boxed Fr Section Reinforced C Under Cab, Open C Under Bed 4.10 Rear Differential w/10.5" Ring Gear Automatic Limited Slip Diff (Auto LSD) Coil Over Shock Double A-Arm Front Susp Multi-Leaf Trapezoidal Rear Suspension Pwr 4 Wheel Disc Brakes, 13.9" Fr Rotors 18" Steel w/P255/70R18

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And here is a copy of the factory options, where it says tow package. How can the truck have a tow package and the 4.10 rear end?

PORT OR FACTORY INSTALLED EQUIPMENT
  • CF Carpet Floor Mats w/Door Sill Protector
  • Port
  • CK Cold Weather Package
  • Factory
  • DZ AM/FM/MP3 CD, 6 Speakers and Aux Input , Satellite Radio Capability (Requires XM or Sirius Compatible Receiver and Monthly Subscription)
  • Factory
  • FE 50 State Emissions
  • Factory
  • HM Power Heated Outside Mirrors
  • Factory
  • LF Fog Lamps
  • Factory
  • RL Daytime Running Lamps
  • Factory
  • ST 18" Styled Steel Wheel with P255/70R18 Tires
  • Factory
  • TO Tow Package
  • Factory
  • WR Sliding Rear Window w/ Privacy Glass
  • Factory

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think the key is the 4:10 rearend. My 08 2WD SR5 5.7L sequoia has the towing package and 4:30 gears and is rated a 10,000 lbs towing. Granted they Derated the Sequoias a couple years later. Your owners manual in the towing section should have a weight limits chart. With the model code the engine etc. The one in my owners manual does not break it out by the rearend gear. I want to say in 2011 the tow ratings were dropped because of a new method of determining the towing capacity. Maybe Toyota on their website is stating the newer capacities. But your 2010 owners manual may say differently.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts