Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just order my 2010 tundra trd, black with black interior. I love it. I want to start adding hp to it. but i dont know which intake to get.. let me know which one. if u have one to sell new or used let me know...

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Use the SEARCH feature and you will find many that have wasted their money
on CAI kits that
Didn't Improve Hp/Torque
Didn't Improve Mileage
Did Increased under hood noise
Did in their opinion,improve under hood aesthetics(looks)

Quite a few sold theirs off shortly after discovering it wasn't all that.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Are you in Harbor City as in Harbor City, Ca? If so, I believe the TRD intake is the only CARB legal intake for the 07+ Tundra.

I have the TRD intake in my truck. As for seat feel, it doesn't really feel any different than the stock intake. MPG is the same, noise is almost the same; TRD intake is just a tad bit louder at WOT.

·
Registered
57 Posts
No regrets for buying mine, but I didn't expect gains in HP, I just wanted a throatier sound during acceleration. I got a Volant. But if your buying for additional HP, yes, you ARE wasting your money.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I went with the Volant and have no complaints.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Volant here too
The sound is mesmerizing that I think I have better power.

I'm in the OC , if you want to hear it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so its Volant n TRD. alright. nice. I got a 06 tacoma with URD intake and TRD exhaust. Loved it. Well, I'll get whatever comes up with a used volant or TRD. i dont mind. It just the same intake but different brand. thanks you guys.

·
Back from the dead!
1,778 Posts
I'd say Volant as well. I had one and loved it! You gain top end powa, not much though. I'd stay away from the oiled filters. Maybe try a drop in filter like an aFe or something. :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
According to Gadget at URD to get the most out of your CAI you need to tune the AFR. This is done by installing the PC-001 MAF sensor calibrator. This goes for any performance mod you install. So if you plan to do headers and an exhaust as well I would tune the AFR soon after. Doing this should really make a difference.

·
Banned
444 Posts
Anything less restrictive makes more power. So those who said they didn't get power out of a aftermarket CAI, Its because A: Its not a CAI, or B: You not going to notice 2-8hp in a 5500lb truck with 380hp

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Your net horsepower gain will still be less the 25 to the wheels
Mods of this nature only compound depreciation,so why throw money to the wind ?

:rolleyes:

According to Gadget at URD to get the most out of your CAI you need to tune the AFR. This is done by installing the PC-001 MAF sensor calibrator. This goes for any performance mod you install. So if you plan to do headers and an exhaust as well I would tune the AFR soon after. Doing this should really make a difference.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Can you prove Toyota's design is restrictive?
Can you prove the aftermarket offerings are more efficient for the dollars invested ?
Paying $50.00 per 1% of gained efficiency is a smart thing to do ?

:bathbaby:

Anything less restrictive makes more power. So those who said they didn't get power out of a aftermarket CAI, Its because A: Its not a CAI, or B: You not going to notice 2-8hp in a 5500lb truck with 380hp

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

WHAT does AFR stand for?? (sorry im new at this ) is this for any truck? oh i see. i got a 06 tacoma trd dc also with intake n trd exhuast and i know i can feel the difference. i can beat 07 f-150 with intake n exhaust. its funny when i they cant catch me. :first:

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
I went with Volant too. No problems with the little extra sound when on the throttle.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have a Volant. In my opinion it's more responsive when you step on the throttle and it's way louder than stock. I recommend the Volant.:)

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
AFR should read A/F ration which is your air to fuel ratio...this is what makes power by leaning out the air/fuel mix.

·
Back from the dead!
1,778 Posts
Use the SEARCH feature and you will find many that have wasted their money
on CAI kits that
Didn't Improve Hp/Torque
Didn't Improve Mileage
Did Increased under hood noise
Did in their opinion,improve under hood aesthetics(looks)

Quite a few sold theirs off shortly after discovering it wasn't all that.
Your net horsepower gain will still be less the 25 to the wheels
Mods of this nature only compound depreciation,so why throw money to the wind ?

:rolleyes:
Can you prove Toyota's design is restrictive?
Can you prove the aftermarket offerings are more efficient for the dollars invested ?
Paying $50.00 per 1% of gained efficiency is a smart thing to do ?

:bathbaby:
The original poster has stated he wants a CAI already. He's gonna get one. My question is, why are you so against him buying a CAI? He asked which is the best one, not please post a bunch of negative comments.. :D

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
The original poster has stated he wants a CAI already. He's gonna get one. My question is, why are you so against him buying a CAI? He asked which is the best one, not please post a bunch of negative comments.. :D
C'mon Gutz... keep up with the times! Negra's against everything, every time, and from what I've gathered, he knows everything about everything related to these trucks. There's lots of "lay-people" on this forum (like myself) who don't know much about engine performance.... I just consider myself lucky to have someone with Negra's knowledge & cheery disposition grace so many threads with his intuitive, and usually derogatory comments! He's like raaiiiiiiiiiinn, on your wedding day.... :blah:

disclaimer: This comment is just for laughs.... don't take any offense. Everyone has their own way of leaving their opinion...Negra is what he is, and we appreciate him as he is.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Roar, pffft, pffft. Stop your whining (thats another thread). Look into a CAI and see which one you like the looks of. I make my own (drop in K&N with a tuned mandrel bent aluminized or stainless pipe, works real well as long as you get rid of the factory plastic and seal it. I have made one for each of my last three trucks and they make little difference on seat of your pants acceleration, but they do help with MPG.

Leave NEGRA alone, everyone is intittled to their own opinion, just offer one and let it go.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts