Toyota Tundra Forums banner

What's the correct way to dispose of old rotors?

66K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  Remmy700P 
#1 ·
I was going to throw them in the trash, but stopped myself because they were so large an item. What the correct manner to dispose of them?

#2 ·
Where I live, I can put em out in the back alley and they'll disappear in a day or two. I could also take them to a recycler with the old aluminum cans and they'd probably take em off your hands. They might even give you a cent or two per pound for em. If all else fails, put em in the trash.

#4 ·
Throw 'em out. They are not hazardous.

#5 ·
true dat, the are only cast iron and they arent hazardous, but im sure a scrap yard would like to have em. recycle! nuff said.

#8 ·
If they are made of steel or iron, then most large cities have locations where you can drop them off for recycling.

In Dallas, there are several drop off locations operated by the city. I throw everything steel into a box in the garage and when it gets full, I take it to the drop off center on Saturday after breakfast and throw it in the bin. I take old chainsaw chains, bolts, DISH satellite dish, old T-posts, old edger blades, old padlocks, old lawn chairs, broken hammer, old metal trash can, old broken bicycle, pieces of rebar, chicken wire, old firewood rack, etc. Anything that is steel/iron. I have a magnet in a kitchen drawer and use it to test an object if there is any question.

They then take all of this stuff from the drop off to a foundry where they melt it down and make new steel I-beams, plate metal, Aircraft Carriers, Ticonderoga class Cruisers, etc.

I lived in Colorado several years ago, and there was a drop off location just outside the city limits. It was actually at the foundry, and you could see smoke and flashes of light coming from inside where they were melting the metal.

I figure it's better to recycle it than just throw it all in the landfill.

One caveat though, do not put the rotors in with the aluminum or steel cans, it will ruin the machine that shreds the cans. There is a separate place where scrap steel/iron should be dropped off. Usually you can contact City Hall in your location and they will tell you where to go.

#9 ·
In my corner of the world we have several trash bins dumped under contract by the city. One cart for trash ~ Another cart for recycled yard waste ~ Another cart for recyclable metal cans, plastic containers and glass containers, paper and cardboard. Those rotors are recyclable and can go in with the rest of the pop cans etc. That's what I do with mine ~ no guilt associated with their disposal ~ they're completely recyclable. Steel is one of the very most recycled products on the face of the planet.:tu:

#10 ·
Recycle them. There must be someplace close by that takes scrap iron, heck I live in a small town in BFE and there is no less than 6 places that take scrap iron, plus the guys that will come to your place and pick it up for free or even give you cash. If I threw them at the end of my driveway with a free sign they would be gone in hours, wouldn't even need the sign really.

#11 ·
I live in a rural area where recycling is not required. But, I still set my last set of rotors aside. Then, every few months I always find a reason to stop by the recycling center. A couple of bags of crushed cans, boxes from Christmas, a few broken "T" fencing posts, old chain link, 4-rotors from last summer, and a couple of old steel doors we replaced. Sometime in the spring all of it will be at the recycling center, if I don't take it before that. Yeah, it is a pain to hold onto, but I cringe when I think of wasting our landfill for something I CAN recycle. Doing that is not everyone's cup of tea and maybe if I lived where I had to look at the stuff for months and months, I would probably just make an extra trip to the recycling, but I don't mind trying to keep from doing more damage to our environment than I can help. I just changed the oil in my Tundra. I managed to fill the rest of my 5-gallon jug. Time to take it to the local auto parts store. In the old days they might have collected it and spread the oil next to a fence row or spray it on the gravel roads and call it gone. Where it could end up back in our drinking water. I'm glad those days are gone.

#15 ·
I usually give mine to one of the people you see pushing a shopping carriage full of scrap metal.

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.