Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are they gonna build it or what? If they are, has anyone heard of what its towing capabilities are going to be? I'm at the point where I have to start looking for a serious rig to pull toys and the 5.7 (even with a blower) isn't going to cut it. I absolutely love Toyotas and hate to get something else. I have to have something dead nuts reliable. Here's my dillema...

Need a rig that can pull 20-23k pounds. If they're gonna make the diesel/dually, I'll trade mine in on one and make due with it just to have a Toyota tow rig. If they're not, keep my Tundra and pick up a International CXT/GMC C4500-7500 crew cab to use for towing.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
It's dead, there already moving Taco production into the San Antonio plant. What ashame.... They don't expect to produce more than 200k Tundra's again. I find this to be just sad.

·
Registered
57 Posts
the latest word is "no"

The 1/2 ton tundra never lived up to sales expectations, so I doubt they would be expanding the line.

I'd be willing to bet that the next generation Taco will move up in size to approx 1st gen tundra porportions, and the tundra will die all together in the next few years. Its not like they've been making major updates to keep it competetive with the big 3. They've done just enough to be able to say they've updated it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That sucks. I really wanted one since I heard the rumors and have an excuse now to get one. Probably a good thing i'll have to get a medium duty truck instead of a light duty one though to control the load better.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
I have heard the Tundra line will continue but 200-300 lbs. lighter and with 4.6 with direct injection producing 355 hp as the option and the 4.6 w/o di as the standard. No more 5.7, due to cafe. I want everyone to make note of this, because some people say things with no proof, but I've heard this from a reliable source. Toyota will not increase the size of the Taco, because that's not what those buyers want. Despite lack luster sales the Tundra has gained a loyal following with the major complaint being mpg.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
I HIGHLY doubt they'd make a truck capable of pulling 20,000+ lbs. Even the domestics don't, unless (like you said) you step up to a 450 & up. Too bad about the Tundra's future (if what you're saying is true Mike)... This truck has a great platform - just a couple tweaks & ADVERTISING would gain more sales, IMO.

I'm not a small/mid-size truck buyer (anymore), so the Taco would never be on my list. Well, hopefully this truck will last long enough to be a long-time Tundra owner :D

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
I'm not a small/mid-size truck buyer (anymore), so the Taco would never be on my list. Well, hopefully this truck will last long enough to be a long-time Tundra owner :D
popo, i am not a small/midsize truck buyer either..thats why i waited till the tundra actually grew into a full size truck before i even thought about getting one..the gen 1s and those stupid T100s were jokes IMO. this is the first full size truck toyota made and its great..hopefully they dont kill it off though...i imagine mine will last long so it will make me a long time tundra owner too haha

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Need a rig that can pull 20-23k pounds
Definitely going to want a medium duty truck for that kind of load. If you really want to stay with Toyota, buy a Hino.

·
Banned
444 Posts
They make a Diesel outside of the us. The hilux.

Here picture. BBC Top gear drove it to the north pole. The first vehicle ever to drive there.

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
I don't care about the diesel but would want a heavy 3/4 or 1 ton single wheel.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
popo, i am not a small/midsize truck buyer either..thats why i waited till the tundra actually grew into a full size truck before i even thought about getting one..the gen 1s and those stupid T100s were jokes IMO. this is the first full size truck toyota made and its great..hopefully they dont kill it off though...i imagine mine will last long so it will make me a long time tundra owner too haha
I bought a new Tundra cause I couldn't talk my father into selling me his 1998 (or whatever the last year was) T100. Extended cab SR5 4wd with TRD blower. Just over 140k miles on it and only thing thats needed fixed was the 4wd solenoid went out. I haven't raced it and I'm not sure if I'd want to. It hurts alot of egos lol

Definitely going to want a medium duty truck for that kind of load. If you really want to stay with Toyota, buy a Hino.
What's a Hino?

They make a Diesel outside of the us. The hilux.

Here picture. BBC Top gear drove it to the north pole. The first vehicle ever to drive there.

Saw one of those in the Bahamas! Badass little truck!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll be damned, I learn something new every day lol Looking at the site now checking them out. Thanks :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
David, looked on their site and can't find a crew cab option. Here's one of the rigs I'm considering:
2006 06 CHEVY 4500 TOPKICK REGENCY HAULER *LOADED!!! - OffshoreOnly Classifieds - Boat Classifieds - Boat Parts
Low miles and about the same price as a new 1-ton crew cab dually.

Like this one too but its kinda old
GMC 7500 SERIES DUALLY CAT MOTOR LIKE NEW - OffshoreOnly Classifieds - Boat Classifieds - Boat Parts

Has to be something comfortable that me, the wife, and some friends can take cross country to shootouts/poker runs and handle a 40-45 foot trailer.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I had thought for sure that a larger tundra was never going to happen. But i see Hino is no longer offering a smaller 1 or 2 ton sized truck any more they now start at class 6 trucks. Hino Trucks / HINO LIGHT and MEDIUM DUTY TRUCK MODELS for 2011

this may give them space in which to make a larger tundra.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You need a FTL M2 Sport Chassis. These things are pretty cool.2005 Freightliner M2 Sport Chassis For Sale
Nice! I've seen a few of the Skater and MTI teams hauling with those. Wondering if I'd need a CDL for that thing. I've currently got a Class C which is good up to 26K pounds with/without air brakes.

Edit: how tall are those things? Getting bids now for my 40'x100' shop with 10' walls and the big door would be 14' widex10' tall. Think it'd fit? I can change the wall height at this point if I need to go taller.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
I'm sure Toyota would love to bring their light duty Diesel here, except the BS EPA restrictions on diesels dont allow them, at least in it's current form. It is the same reason Volkswagon hasn't made a big diesel push, the emission equipement cost far outways the benefit to the manufacturer. In other words, they don't think that buyers are willing to tack a 5,000 optional diesel. I'm sure their are people who will not agree, but sales don't lie.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
I'm sure Toyota would love to bring their light duty Diesel here, except the BS EPA restrictions on diesels dont allow them, at least in it's current form. It is the same reason Volkswagon hasn't made a big diesel push, the emission equipement cost far outways the benefit to the manufacturer. In other words, they don't think that buyers are willing to tack a 5,000 optional diesel. I'm sure their are people who will not agree, but sales don't lie.
so i guess thats the only reason why the big 3 got the market corner with their diesel engines in the U.S.? hell it sounds like a monopoly to me! i though i heard somewhere that japan has the strictest emission control anywhere and there engine would be would be suitable in the states, but i guess not. suck! be nice to have a diesel tundra

1 - 20 of 21 Posts