Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm driving from Connecticut to Georgia yesterday with my family and I saw a fair share of state troopers patroling and camping on the highways; of course its thier job to do so. During this drive there were 2 instances where I passed a statie as they were watching traffic (once in Virginia, the other in South Carolina) who eventually left thier position only to follow me. Both times I wasn't speeding, maybe a few miles over the limit but noting over 5, and well of course my instant reaction anytime I saw them on the side was to brake and slow down a little, wasn't driving erratically or anything..nothing, but for some reason I caught thier attention and so they decided to come speeding right up behind me (by this time I got into the right lane) without thier lights on, only to follow me for a minute or 2...and then they left. Nothing happened. I'm glad nothing did because I wasn't doing anything wrong, but it made me think why the hell would they first come after me since I wasn't speeding to begin with (tags are fine, vehicle is registered, etc) and to follow me for a bit and then leave?? What do they do in that circumstance? Do they run your plates to see if its legit, no records, etc, scare tactic, see if you'd chase off like the fools on "COPS"?? Any members here work for the law enforcement that can chime in on this question, or anyone really...

·
Mr. MaCocky
1,207 Posts
Perhaps a vehicle matching your description was reported stolen or perhaps was reported as being used in an unlawful act such as a burglary or kidnapping? During the time they were following you maybe they ran your plates and found them to be legit and because you had no outstanding warrants left you to your travels?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Out-of-staters get special attention. They are less likely to show up in court to contest a ticket.

Also, if your car doesn't have a front plate and their state requires one it causes notice.

Finally, don't hit the brakes since it sends a very bright red signal to the officers that you are speeding or nervous. Just ease up on the gas without an abrupt lane change.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Out-of-staters get special attention. They are less likely to show up in court to contest a ticket.

Also, if your car doesn't have a front plate and their state requires one it causes notice.

Finally, don't hit the brakes since it sends a very bright red signal to the officers that you are speeding or nervous. Just ease up on the gas without an abrupt lane change.

ding ding ding, we have a winner :nod: i'm not sure if they still do it, but in some areas, if you speed, they hold you there till you pay, if you are from out of state.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
we do it to piss people off

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I noticed this on one instance when I was driving through Utah and this undercover cop car creeps up close to my rear bumper. I take notice and think "he's taking down my plates to check if they're valid etc.." About 10 minutes or so later, he backs off and takes the next exit ..I say to myself "Must be their last quota check before off-duty."

I drive on wearily to my next destination which is Las Vegas.

Sanosuke!

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
I noticed this on one instance when I was driving through Utah and this undercover cop car creeps up close to my rear bumper. I take notice and think "he's taking down my plates to check if they're valid etc.." About 10 minutes or so later, he backs off and takes the next exit ..I say to myself "Must be their last quota check before off-duty."

I drive on wearily to my next destination which is Las Vegas.

Sanosuke!
Off subject but how are you doing? Hope things are getting back to normal.

·
Don't argue with an insomniac.
5,568 Posts
I'd suspect they had a vehicle matching the description of your truck that they were on the lookout for. They run your plate, see that it's clean and matches your vehicle, and pull over to watch for the next one.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
The cops are under pressure to become a profit making arm of the state. Out of staters are good for cash and don't upset the voters.
Plus you look like one of those drug dealers!! J/K LOL

·
Don't argue with an insomniac.
5,568 Posts

·
awpooponya
5,700 Posts
Im gonna go with Songdog on this one too:D

·
"Rosco" Thread Derailer
5,778 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Technically by your own admission you were "speeding" by just a few miles over. Speed limit signs are not recommendations. They are either LIMITS or CHALLENGES.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I am not surprised you saw many speed traps in VA. Virginia is pretty much a police state. I lived there for 20 years and can attest to that fact. I have seen countless times where their was a state police car every mile or two on the interstate for miles on end with dozens of vehicles stopped. In the cities and towns it is even worse. You can't drive more than a mile without seeing a cop hiding on the side of the road shooting laser or radar. It's pretty pathetic, all in the name of "safety" LOL! If they need funds that bad, just have the balls to call for in increase in taxes so people at least have a say!

My advice to anyone driving through VA: obey the ridiculous speed limits (55mph on large stretches of interstate) or expect a ticket. Once you hit NC (my state) it is much more relaxed and the cops generally give you 10mph over before they hassle you.

·
Driver of 2 Tundra trucks
6,174 Posts
I wasn't speeding, maybe a few miles over the limit but noting over 5, and well of course my instant reaction anytime I saw them on the side was to brake and slow down a little, wasn't driving erratically or anything..nothing, but for some reason I caught thier attention
Your hitting the brakes will garner their attention even if they don't see your brake lights.
Maintaining your lane and speed will make you virtually invisible to the average traffic cop.

NOTE: Most states had a Summer Heat speed reduction / tax collection program that ended Sept. 1st.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Admission was validated by the OP by hitting the brakes.:rolleyes:

As a "General" rule for most traffic LEO's
Give them 4 and write them on 5.
Results may vary in Ca,Pa,Va and Ohio. :rolleyes:

Of coarse there is always the "F-Tard" that just screams F with me cause Im as dumb as a box of hammers.
Generally they do :D

Technically by your own admission you were "speeding" by just a few miles over. Speed limit signs are not recommendations. They are either LIMITS or CHALLENGES.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts