Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up all TS members! I was reading a post on TS and notice a lot opinions in regard to how an individual should customize their trucks.

With that being said, a fellow TS member stated something that didn't match up to me so I wanted to know you guys and gals opinions.

For example if a truck owner(Tundra, FJ cruiser and Tacoma) decide to lift their truck(to the freakn' moon), why are they labeled "RED NECK" that lives in a trailer park?:mad: Another example, a truck owner decides to place 24-28" rims on their truck, why are they labeled "GHETTO" and on welfare?:eek: Now I am not going to point out any names, that is really distasteful.

I myself do not care what an individual do to their truck. It's your truck!!! Its your money!!! You can do whatever it is that you want to your truck!!! Now that's my opinion but I refuse to label someone for whatever reason that may be.

Please provide your 2cents, :ts:

·
Registered
424 Posts
BRAVO! I agree. Pretty much hit the nail on the head. IMO, this site is good for asking Q's getting answers, seeing different styles, ideas and quite possibly meeting new people and getting a few laughs at the same time.

·
- ? -
1,305 Posts
Its just the type of person that you (not you inparticular) were brought up to be. Some people pass judgment on what or who you are or what you have accomplished in your life. The same goes for your living and life style decisions. Some people (like yourself) dont give a sh!t what someone else does to their truck, house, ect. Like you said its their money they can do whatever the hell they want. Im not gonna single myself out and say that i dont judge anyone cause that would be a lie, and i think everyone to a certain degree passes judgment on whatever or whoever. With that being said i hope yall dont think im a redneck cause im from texas. I consider myself moreso a Honky:D

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Unfortunately it is an overwhelming generalization for people who's opinion may rest not even on their own experience, but the cumulative experiences of others or what they think/feel other's interpretation or assessment of those type of people may be. In short, it is purely ignorance. Generalizations are just that... and quite frankly, they're becoming more and more ridiculous in their assessment since the "exceptions" sometimes now out-number the supposed "rule".
Don't let other's opinions of what kind of people do these things form your own opinion. I prefer to look at people as individuals and not judge/assess them based on any kind of external characteristic. I look at people more for what actions they take more than anything...

·
Banned
1,363 Posts
When you come on here and ask for an opinion, that is just what you get. I dont think people are necessarily passing judgment, but just stating their opinion which is what was asked for by the OP. When someone puts 30 inch wheels on a 4x4 truck, due to urbanization and the hip hop culture, it gets deemed as "ghetto". Ghetto then becomes a descriptive term, nothing more. Same as redneck. I get called a redneck all the time simply because I from Alabama. And I am sure that some of my actions can be viewed as "redneck" or "ghetto". To me...it is all in how you say what you say and the attitude that you approach it with. As for a mean spirit...it should not be tolerated. Peace, Love, and Homebrew!!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
When you come on here and ask for an opinion, that is just what you get.
:twocents: Good point TW. Some folks literally ask "what do you think", "how's it look" and so on. Now the ones that are unsolicited may be a different story.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Right on! When others ask for opinions, I believe that they want constructive criticism or advice. The other adjectives that some members throw out there like "ghetto" and "redneck" are not needed if they are used to be negative. There is a way to communicate and like one of our TS brothers before me said, "it is a lot to do with how we are raised and what our values are" so I have gotten used to the members who are negative, etc. I am more careful in what I ask for on the forum but I also realize that I will take what I want and forget the rest when it comes to comments. I dealt pretty well with my "Spoiler" thread a few months back. It was all in fun; no issues from me!

But hey, RIGHT ON!

·
...Raptor Slayer...
2,233 Posts
When you come on here and ask for an opinion, that is just what you get. I dont think people are necessarily passing judgment, but just stating their opinion which is what was asked for by the OP. When someone puts 30 inch wheels on a 4x4 truck, due to urbanization and the hip hop culture, it gets deemed as "ghetto". Ghetto then becomes a descriptive term, nothing more. Same as redneck. I get called a redneck all the time simply because I from Alabama. And I am sure that some of my actions can be viewed as "redneck" or "ghetto". To me...it is all in how you say what you say and the attitude that you approach it with. As for a mean spirit...it should not be tolerated. Peace, Love, and Homebrew!!
Totally put correctly because if you ask an opinion you going to get words and advice from different sorts of people...so true

·
Registered
422 Posts
nicely put - GHETTO!!! ;)

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
I'm not down with being a jerk with a response.... THAT I agree with. But, I wouldn't say that calling something "ghetto" or "redneck" are derogatory things to say. They're descriptive.... and generally, things like that are said in a humorous tone, not to be mean.

When you ask for an opinion, that's just what you're going to get. And, since there's a bunch of us here on the Forum, there's that much of a chance for differing opinions. You can take a truck and have 10 guys point out what they like/dislike about it, and you'll likely have 10 different responses.

Hopefully, when people do a MOD to their truck, they're not worrying about what other people think about it.... but instead happy to do it cause they like it themselves.

There's a guy I work with that LOVES putting spoilers on trucks... so he put one on his Ram. I think that's one of the silliest looking things you can do to a truck (Sorry TigerKing!).... and so I make fun of him, and call him a Ricer, or a Sophomore (as in HighSchool)... and I tell him he should put a can-muffler on it, or just go buy a Neon instead. But, it's all in fun. I have Polished step bars, which he doesn't like at all. (he likes black bars). So-what...it's all in good fun.

Just remember: when u do things to your car that people will notice (like big-lifts or big-rims)... you're gonna get an opinion formed immediately, either way. It's self-expression, and deep down, most of us do things like that expecting to get some kind of response.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Some people are just jerks plain and simple. I've seen many things done to trucks on here that I would not do in a million years. I just chuckle and click on the next topic. There is no need to bash them for spending THEIR money on something THEY wanted.

·
Registered
754 Posts
dont forget that if you lift your truck that means your SHORT.....or if you have big tires you have a small one....thats the hearsay I hear all the time...

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Totally put correctly because if you ask an opinion you going to get words and advice from different sorts of people...so true
Okay I do not want you all to think that I wrote this thread b/c of opinions. When it comes to opinions you have to be a little thick skinned. I wanted to state that labeling others for what they do to their truck is the BIG picture, not opinons.

Just like one of the fellow TS member said, "if you ask 10 people on their opinion you will get 10 different responds." That is so true, but being a JERK and then LABELING a TS member for customizing their vehicle a certain way is wrong. We are all adults, come on now!

I am off my soap box,:soapbox: so we(TS) members can move on to the next thread maybe with a little understanding and clarity.:deadhorse:

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Sometimes when people are jealous of others they'd rather insult them than admit that they're green with envy.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sometimes when people are jealous of others they'd rather insult them than admit that they're green with envy.
Nicely put JMSinMD:amen:

·
Registered
50 Posts
When I was in high school I used to lump folks into categories like "rednecks" or "headbangers" based on how they dressed or how they modified their ride. Nowadays though I tend to lump everyone into a single group when I see that they've spent a lot of money on modifying their vehicle, no matter which "style" they do it in. I guess the best name for this group would be "consumer".

1 - 18 of 18 Posts