Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Yesterday I put new tires on my 2007 Tundra at 45,000 miles. This was the first tire change since I bought the truck new. During the balance phase of the work one of the 18" Toyota Alloy wheels was found to need a lot of lead weight to balance the tire - 9.5 onces of weight! It had a lot of lead weight to start with and there was a joke made about the Bridgestone tire that was originally on there. Turns out it is the wheel that needs all the extra balance weights. Discount Tire Co. thought the wheel was defective and out of balance to start with. Clearly, the wheel in question is in worse balance condition than the other three. However, the individual wheel was not tested by itself.

Today, I contacted the Toyota dealer about it and was told that wheels are only under warranty for 36,000 miles. After contacting the Service Manager, I was asked to bring in my vehicle so they could inspect the wheel in question. I was called into the shop and shown the balanced wheel on Toyota's fancy balance machine using only 7.5 onces of lead. The dealer's mechanic deemed the wheel good and asked if I would accept it. They had used heavier weights (1 oz) to do, this whereas Discount tire had used a string of 1/2 oz weights almost a foot long. Since the wheel could be balanced and chances - although not confirmed - of getting a free (warranty) replacement didn't look good I accepted the wheel.

Now, Discount Tire broke a pressure sensor on another wheel - a whole other story - that resulted in me returning to them for a sensor replacement. They were disappointed, at best, that Toyota had deemed the wheel good, as they would never have sold a wheel like that with it's poor balance condition. That leads me to believe accepting the wheel may have been a bad decision on my part. But that doesn't close the issue in my view, since nothing is written down and signed. I still would like to get the wheel replaced but at $588 list, I have no intention of buying a new one.

So, are there any guidelines, rules, or standards that apply to Alloy wheels as far as initial balance quality? Do you think I have a legitimate problem? Keep in mind that the wheel can be balanced, but using 2-3 times the normal balance weights. Any helpful hints, tactics, lawful actions, on how to resolve this issue will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

JohnY

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
well something probally isnt right with it, but out of warranty you are going to have to foot the bill. i probally would have been in the same situation if i had a wheel like that...i never had to balance my stock tires in 34k miles....so even if i had excessive weights id have never known it till too late most likely like u. if it comes down to a wheel being defective for whatever reason, u can find one on ebay for less, talk to a wheel repair place that charges a flat fee for wheel repair- most of them are 125 bucks. or even better yet, the price for one OEM wheel isnt too much less than a set of aftermarket wheels on sale some place.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply 07DCwhiteSR5

I feel that you hit the nail on the head and those are my feeling here too. But I have learned something. Next time I buy a car, I'll be looking at how many onces of wheel weight are being used on each wheel.

Cheers,

JohnY

1 - 3 of 3 Posts