Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all. First timer here. Have a 2000 Tundra, 4.7, 2wd, SR5. 139k. Replaced all 4 shocks at about 100k with OEM from Toyota. I have NEVER replaced the wheel bearings or the ball joints. Now, here is my issue. I can feel every bump in the road, front and rear end feel "loose", going over rail road tracks makes it feel like the wheels are coming off. However, when the road is smooth everything feels tight. I can yank the wheel back and forth and there is no wobble or anything that raises suspicion. I do more than my fair share of towing dirt bikes to the desert so I am in the dirt quite a bit but I never off road my truck. Simply drive the dirt road in. I understand that it is so difficult to diagnose without getting the truck on a lift and that is probably why I get so many different diagnosis. I here that it is the ball joints and then I hear it is the wheel bearings but no one has actually looked at the truck. What is everyones initial knee jerk diagnosis? Thanks for taking the time to read.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,559 Posts
There are a number of things it could be. Almost impossible to diagnose without being there. The first things that pop into my head:

- Shocks
- Shock mounts/bushings
- Steering rack bushings/tie-rod ends
- Carrier bearing mount
- Transmission mount

Since you mention that it feels like both the front AND back end are "loose", it suggests to me that it is an overall control issue rather than a front- or rear-specific suspension component. I'd look first at the steering rack and go from there.

·
Registered
440 Posts
When you say you can "feel" every bump. Is thee a shake/shimmy? Any noises (clikcing, popping, thudding)? And where do you usually feel it at? Steering wheel, seat, dash, etc?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When you say you can "feel" every bump. Is thee a shake/shimmy? Any noises (clikcing, popping, thudding)? And where do you usually feel it at? Steering wheel, seat, dash, etc?
I dont feel it in the steering wheel. I feel it beneath me. Meaning it feels as if all my lugs were loose. There is no clicking, popping or cracking noise. There is however a squeak that seems to be coming from the rear somewhere. Sounds almost as if it were a squeaky shock or something.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are a number of things it could be. Almost impossible to diagnose without being there. The first things that pop into my head:

- Shocks
- Shock mounts/bushings
- Steering rack bushings/tie-rod ends
- Carrier bearing mount
- Transmission mount

Since you mention that it feels like both the front AND back end are "loose", it suggests to me that it is an overall control issue rather than a front- or rear-specific suspension component. I'd look first at the steering rack and go from there.
How do you guys "check" bushings?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gotcha, I will do a thorough investigation this weekend. I will let you guys know after this weekend.

·
Registered
554 Posts
For the rear end, it is not uncommon to have your spring bushings wear through. These are rubber and will evenually wear through on the downward side ( load side ). At that point you will hear the bushing pin hit against the spring mount ( loop in end of leaf spring ) when the spring moves because of a bump. Otherwise the pin is just resting on the mount which can attribute to more road noise and vibrations felt.

I have even seen where a bushing isn't quite worn right through but there is enough play to make a thump. I have used aftermarket urethane bushings as replacements but they will stiffen the ride a bit and can also distort over time ( with enough miles ), sometimes they can cause a squeak as well. I am getting due myself but will stick with the OE bushings to maintain the ride. The front end is somewhat similar with bushings supporting the A arms.

As as far as shocks go, make sure they are mounted tightly or they will thump. I have also seen the bushings used for mounting shocks worn in a similar way to spring bushings. One easy way to track down the noise/thump is to have someone bounce on the rear bumper while you place your hand on a shock to feel for a thump. Otherwise you can touch the frame in various places around the spring mounts. It is also easy to see delayed movement that will indicate play in the bushings. Just watch your head and hands as the suspension is moving ( a pair of safety glasses will also keep the dirt out of your eyes ).

Loose suspension will cause a drifting feeling when going over bumps as well as drifting while cornering as the suspending/dampening action of the suspension components is delayed by movement in the mounts.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
440 Posts
Based off what your saying sounds to me like loose suspension parts, likely bushings or mounts (as stated above). If that fails... Check your seat and make sure its bolted securely to the floor... :D jk

·
Registered
60 Posts
Not to be wise, But any chance the new shocks are lose? the description sounds like a "loose suspension" which started after you changed out the shocks. On the other hand, you might have not felt it because the original shocks were so shot you never felt or discovered the other issue till now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All very good helpful information. Nice being able to share this with such informed Tundra folk. I wouldnt say that this all started after the new shocks as I have pulled records and found that I put them on about 55k ago. I didnt start feeling this non-sense until about the last 5-6k. I will follow all of your recommendations this weekend.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
I have seen bad shock bushing (missing???), broken shock mounts, Cracked/broken springs, just bad shocks cause the problems you describe. I changed my shocks out with Off-road Bilsteins (with external oil tank) at 75,000 miles and now at 186,000 miles they are as tight as the first day I installed them. Never had a control issue. A bit rougher ride. Flying over railroad tracks will loosen your teeth but no control issues.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,559 Posts
Also, make sure that the rear shocks were mounted in the proper holes. There are two holes in close proximity at the upper shock mount and it appears to be fairly easy to make the mistake.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts