Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I'm new so don't beat me up too much on this one... I have an '01 Access Cab, TWO wheel drive. It came with the second lowest exciting wheel they made. (The lowest being the one you'd find on a fleet vehicle). I'd like to put on a Toyota rim from another model (or newer Tundra) if they will fit. The problem I keep encountering is that so many are 4x4s (or AWD) and mine isn't. I have no idea what will interchange.

I've tried calling the dealer, but the kids can't think past the questions on the computer and when I asked for the bolt pattern and measurements, he faxed me a bunch of line drawings for what was available ONLY ON THAT MODEL.... useless. Think outside the box!

People! Think past the computer! I'd like something a little 'spoke-ey', nothing crazy, just something that looks better than the plain steel swirl thingy it has. Heck, my plasti-chrome hubcaps look nicer at this point.

Since I'm due for tires soon, I can dream beyond the 16s but I'm not into big dubs or anything. Don't really want to go after market. Toyota is fine. Toyota is better than fine.

I just want to be able to either call some local yards, or watch Ebay for a set from a particular make and model that you guys tell me will fit. I worry about bolt pattern, back spacing... rubbing... I won't lose sleep if my speedo is a tad off, and is there anything else I need to worry about (tire pressure sensors? and how do I know if I have them?).

You guys are my lifeline... have at it!
Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Bolt patter is 6x5.5 and you can run wheels from any tundra up to 06. 07-10 use a 5 bolt pattern. Tacoma's and FJ Cruiser's use the 6x5.5 and you can use any wheel from either of those also. Backspacing varies minimally with the stock Toyota wheels. Nothing you should worry about though. If you get a larger wheel than 16" you can select a tire that will still match the stock tire diameter and will not have to worry about spedo or odometer being off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks JacKill45acp... do I have to take into consideration 4x4 vs. 4x2?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Almost any wheel thats 6 on 5.5 will fit your truck, about the only ones I can think of that wont are the highlander wheels but thats not really a truck.

4x4 all use 6 on 5.5 bolt pattern, some 2wd trucks use a 5 on 5.5 pattern-the wheels from them wont work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool - I think there was a Sequoia rim I liked, but I'll have to do some research to see if I'm right. Heck, even the newer model Tundra's have nicer wheels! Thanks guys!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I too am a recently had the same situiation with my 06 Tundra SR5 which came with dinky factory 16" steel rims and 245-70-16 tires that were not beefy enough for my taste. I went with 17" rims off of an FJ Cruiser (craigslist) and put on 265-65-17 tires and could not be happier. The larger rims look great and the larger tires fill up the wheel wells and the truck stands a bit taller. No rubbing problems. If you go this route, you'll likely need the correct factory lug nuts. I got mine on ebay, used but perfect shape and are oem Toyota at a fraction of the cost of dealer. I did run into a problem transferring my sensors from my 16"

Added step bars and it looks like a completely different truck.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mike... hey, thanks. I've never seen them - they are just 'spokey' right... I guess I'll have to look into my "sensors" on my '01 (I assume I have them?) to move them?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts