Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, before people jump on me about this, understand I'm not a fan of the technical definition of "spacer" as I think reducing the actual amount of threads to bolt your wheels to isn't exactly safe, but there are the spacers that bolt-on themselves and have their own set of bolts to put your wheels on that look like a much safer and more viable option to me.
So those of you that have actually done this already, your feedback would be much appreciated. I want to know if you've had any issues or experienced anything unusual (good or bad) after having them installed and anything that should be taken into consideration.
I'll provide some reasoning to this...
I'm mildly considering getting some fender flares and as I've already invested in some kick-a$$ wheels/tires, I'm not in for a new set of those. I would like my wheels to be moved out slightly to approach the outer edge of the fender flares, if possible. And by this I mean if it is absolutely safe to do (I have two young kids and don't want to risk something that may not be safe). I'm pretty sure though that the bolt-on types are much more structurally sound, but again, I have no direct experience with these one way or another.
If you've done this and you have good feedback to provide, please post here. If you can, post the brand/type that you used, how long you've had them on and how you use/drive the truck. Also, size would be good (i.e. 1.25" extension, 2" extension, etc.).
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
popo has been running some hub centeric adapters on his to space them out a little wider forever...i think he had them on his 07 even...he'll jump in here soon enough and give his recommendation...if not, we'll slap him upside the head till he comes in here...

·
Forum Admin
8,250 Posts
3 years, DD and WW, gets lots of compliments, and has zero problems.

Well, 1 problem... a Toyota Technician zipped on a lugnut to about 165 ft.lbs and I f'ed up the stud when taking off the lugnut. The stud was easy to replace on the wheel adapter though. That was the last time I allowed them to perform the "free" tire rotation.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
I would love to use some wheel spacers. I don't want to spend the dough on new wheels but I would love for my 305's to stick out an inch or so. Anyone have a link to some quality spacers?

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
I PM'd u Maylon..

I was running them on my truck without any issues BESIDES the same vibration/shudder than everyone seems to get with these trucks when you change the factory offset. (the dreaded 55-70mph vibration) Mine were 1.25" which basically changed the offset to 30 from the stock 60.

My new rims I recently picked up are +30 offset, so I'm no longer using the spacers; they're sitting on a shelf in the garage waiting for a new home. I paid $180 for them on ebay.

They definitely made the truck look tons better - narrow tires sucked in the wheel-well looks retarded on a big truck.

·
Registered
46 Posts
i had a set of 2" spacers on my 02 tacoma i had before i bought my tundra. yea it made it look good with the tires stuck out and gave the truck a whole new stance. but as you know if you add any extra width it provides more leverage and more leverage creates more stress on the suspension and steering components. the only problems i ran into was bump steer on the highway, worn out tie rod ends and ball joints and it really could've used an alignment about every 10k. No pain no gain...

·
Banned
444 Posts
a Toyota Technician zipped on a lugnut to about 165 ft.lbs
Not to hijack, but I had the same problem when I went to take my wheels off for the DR's. Had a 4' cheater pipe on a 4-way with two people jumping on it to get it off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey there, I am looking at doing this as well to my Truck.. I was just concerned about the vibration and such.. Those who are using the wheel adapter. is there a brand name that is trusted or where you might have ordered them from..?

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
I PM'd u Maylon..

I was running them on my truck without any issues BESIDES the same vibration/shudder than everyone seems to get with these trucks when you change the factory offset. (the dreaded 55-70mph vibration) Mine were 1.25" which basically changed the offset to 30 from the stock 60.

My new rims I recently picked up are +30 offset, so I'm no longer using the spacers; they're sitting on a shelf in the garage waiting for a new home. I paid $180 for them on ebay.

They definitely made the truck look tons better - narrow tires sucked in the wheel-well looks retarded on a big truck.
i assume u got my PM haha. now...when do we see these new rims you got?

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
i assume u got my PM haha. now...when do we see these new rims you got?
I did my friend - thanks! And soon, very soon. They're finally done, so I'll be taking some pics soon, probably during the road trip this weekend.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can anybody post an actual reliable manufacturer of these parts? I'm a little weary of doing this through ebay as I thought I saw a post here a while ago about someone buying a set that didn't fit properly or couldn't get enough of the thread of the bolts on the nuts when tightened...

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am currently running 1.25 wheel spacers with no issues with my 18 trd wheels. They are almost flushed with my fender flares. When these factory 275's wear out, I will try 285/65/18's or test fit 305/60/18's. They push the tires out enough where I think the 305's will fit. As far as the ride is concern, no problems whatsoever. Checked the torques every 10k or so no change. I purchased them from Fred at wheeladapters.com. Its been over a year so dont know if he's still around. I will try to post pics later.

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
Ive got 33x12.5" tires on my TRD 18" wheels and they seem like they are even with the fenders.. I dont like it. With the mix of a 3" lift, the truck just seems too tall and skinny. I too would like some decent spacers to get the tires out a little bit to make it look better. Those of you with the Ebay ones.. Can you post a link of which ones you got?

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
FWIW, I've had spacers (hub centric wheel spacers/adapters) on my last two cars - one was an audi avant that I put ~30k miles on without issues and my last car was a lexus gs430 that I put ~100k miles on, again without any issues. I was going to put some on my DC but since I'm leasing it, I decided against spending the money. I did contact Fred Goeske after I'd seen his name mentioned several times with good sentiment. I left an email request on his webpage (I think it's wheeladapter.com) and he phoned me within an hour. He seemed knowledgeable and professional. Even though I didn't purchase any from him, once I buy another truck or sequoia, I'll most likely go through him. My original spacers were H&R that I purchased from optionsauto.com and seemed to be of high quality - again though, given Fred's prompt response and the general feeling I got after talking with him, I'd use him first. Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
167 Posts
I ran spidertrax wheel spacers on my lifted FJ for a year with no problems. They are hub-centric and I never experienced any shudder. I checked the torque on the lugs every so often to ensure they never loosened - and they didn't. I know a ton of people were running spidertrax when I left the FJ forum.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts