Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you recommend wheel spacers? I have tried to fit a 285/75/16 on my stock 06' Toyota Tundra rims, there is very very little space between the control arm and tire..... I was told a spacer would work..... What are your thoughts? I have read horror stories of people wheels falling off due to stripped studs etc..... PLEASE HELP?

·
Registered
429 Posts
You'll be alright...go for a 1'' spacer from spidertrax. The horror stories are from people that are jumping or similiar...crazy dudes!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your feedback.....

I really don't need much room and I was wondering if a 1/4" disk brake wheel spacer would do the work or do you recommend the ones that bolt on? Sorry I am a noob.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I am running 285/75/16, and they were slightly rubbing on the frame in a full turn, so I just bought me a set of the Spidertrax, which were delivered yesterday. Hopefully will get them installed today. From everything I've read, they are the best.

·
Registered
64 Posts
i love mine. never had any problems. had them over a year now.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Not sure if I would do it if you had rims with a lot of off set. My rims are pro comps with 4" of off set and spacers would put too much strain on it but if you have stock rims I don't think 1.5" spacers would hurt.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Get these if you want your wheels to fall off:

Why, whats wrong w/ lug centric spacers??

I know plenty of guys that use those types of spacers on their cars and they work fine and their wheels never fell off. If you need a few mm's of clearance instead of a 1 1/4" like the spidertrax those are fine to use. Anything thicker than a few mm Id use longer lug bolts. If you hear of a spacer failing usually its due to user error.

And FYI: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tire-fell-off-going-down-road-wheel-spacer-failure-1054227/

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ordered a set of 1 1/4" spacer from Spidertrax but I am worried now that pushing the tire (size 285/75/16) out will cause it to hit the fender when turning... can anyone speak to that?

You'll be alright...go for a 1'' spacer from spidertrax. The horror stories are from people that are jumping or similiar...crazy dudes!

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
I ordered a set of 1 1/4" spacer from Spidertrax but I am worried now that pushing the tire (size 285/75/16) out will cause it to hit the fender when turning... can anyone speak to that?
I have the Spidertrax 1.25" spacers on an 06DC with 285/70R17 tires. Prior to the spacers they rubbed the upper control arm at full lock. After the spacers ONLY the drivers side front rubs the screw head on the mud flap at about a 3/4 turn. Makes a little noise but it has been like that for over a year with no damage. The outside edge of the tires are now flush with the outside of the fender flares.

No vibrations of issues at all with the Spidertrax - I would recommend them - by the way the set I got are hub centric like our alloy wheels.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have the Spidertrax 1.25" spacers on an 06DC with 285/70R17 tires. Prior to the spacers they rubbed the upper control arm at full lock. After the spacers ONLY the drivers side front rubs the screw head on the mud flap at about a 3/4 turn. Makes a little noise but it has been like that for over a year with no damage. The outside edge of the tires are now flush with the outside of the fender flares.

No vibrations of issues at all with the Spidertrax - I would recommend them - by the way the set I got are hub centric like our alloy wheels.

Thanks for your feedback...... by chance are you running stock rims? Plus what kind of lift to you have?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I ran 5100's up front and a 1.5'' block in the rear on 285/75 16 Tires on stock rims for a year with no problem. they rubbed just barley at full lock nothing bad. i have spiderTrax spacers now they are awesome.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Thanks for your feedback...... by chance are you running stock rims? Plus what kind of lift to you have?
Yes, I am running the stock alloy wheels (actually the silver wheels off my Sequoia) with the Bilstien adjustable front struts set on the 4th highest ring, about 2" front lift and a 1" rear block.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts