Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Tundra SR5 4x4 double cab. It came stock with the 5-lug steel wheels. I just purchased a set of the OEM aluminum mags (used). Pic attached.

What to do about lug nuts and pressure sensors? I've gotten two totally different answers on each from the Toyota parts department, and my local Big O Tire.

Lug Nuts: Big O says I need new lugs - that the lugs on the steel won't work for the aluminum. However, Toyota parts guys says they are interchangeable. Also, when shopping lugs, I am not finding anything marked "steel" or "aluminium". There only seems to be one type.

Pressure Sensors: Big O says that they can rebuild them for the swap for $30 total (all four). Toyota says the sensor on the steel wheel won't work on the aluminum, and that I need new ones (at a cost of $80 each).

I do think the Big O guy was speaking "in general" and may not know for sure on the 2016 Tundra. But I don't know. Just want to avoid <$$>surprises</$$> when I go to have the tires mounted.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Lugs for steelies are acorn style that go partly through the rim. Lugs for aluminum have a flat surface and a washer. Aluminum is softer than steel so putting that much torque on an aluminum rim using an acorn nut could damage the rim. You want the lugs with the larger mating surface to spread out the torque over a larger area. So yes, maybe they are interchangeable but it doesn't meant you should do it.
As for the tpms, I have read on here the shape is totally different and that means they are not interchangeable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. Yep - looks like the TPMS is different between steel and aluminum. Something about a 40 degree bend.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Reviving this old post: Cheapskate is 100% right about the lug nuts being different between steel and alloy wheels. Same for the TPMS; these can be purchased on eBay for $54 per set but you have to get the model number that is correct for your vehicle with the correct angle for steel or alloy wheels -or they may not fit or work when the tire shop goes to program them to your vehicle.

Mark

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One note on this, for those of you looking to do the same thing....

I bought a set of 4 aftermarket TPMS sensors (Dorman 974-032 Toyota Sequoia/Sienna/Tundra Tire Pressure Monitor System ). I had the local tire shop put them on for me.

Turns out that these didn't work. They "worked" in that they fit and sent signal, and worked fine for about a week. However, eventually the signal was too weak and my check engine light kept coming on. Error message relating to the TPMS. I had the (reputable) tire shop reset them again, and then went to the dealership to have them give it a shot. No dice. They would work for a short time and then lose connection with the truck computer.

So....I had to buy another set from Toyota and have them installed. Those worked.

Between having my tires mounted and unmounted several times, and the troubleshooting time it would have been a heck of a lot cheaper to go with Toyota parts from the beginning.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts