Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 double cab long bed on order. I also have a cab height cap on order (with the appropriate roof rack rails).

I will be loading 18-20' kayaks on the roof and will need a way to reach up to attach the boat to the racks.

Does anybody know of a set of wheel to wheel running boards for a doubel cab long bed that are wide enough to stand on facing the truck.

My understanding is the Toyota running boards like this set from trdsparks are wide enough but not don't entend into the bed:

Brushed Stainless Step Board Kit Double Cab at Sparks Toyota Scion - Toyota Racing Development Parts

I could use some sugestions.
Thanks -Jason

·
Registered
4 Posts
Luverne makes a couple of good steps that are offered in a w2w length- the MegaStep, 7" wide, which has a 5" rubber surface on top, and has a stainless steel 1/2 tube on the side (looks like a nerf bar from the side), as well as the OMega step, which is a 6" wide aluminum step with step pads you can install wherever you want on it. Both are good, sturdy steps, made in South Dakota to boot (see at luvernetruck.com). Another option is the Bedstep2 from Amp Research, which is a retractable box side step... they aren't out just yet, but one is in the works for that truck (see at amp-research.com).

·
Registered
7 Posts
I happen to prefer nerf bars as there is no toe stop, so I feel more balanced on my arches. I have seen several wheel to wheel model nerf bars at various locations on the web. I am 6' tall and have nerf bars for my single cab 2010. The Tundra is a tall truck, so my concern is whether the bars or the steps for that matter would really give you the reach you need. I've never attached kayacks to the top of my truck, but I cant change my middle cab light standing on the nerfs. I have to open the door and stand on the floorboard to even get close. Maybe the dealer has one with nerfs/steps installed for you to do a height/reach test on? The tundra needs steps or whatever, especially for those who don't ride in them every day, so thats a given, but if the wheel to wheel versions wont give you the access you need, why pay more for the additional length? Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Luverne makes a couple of good steps that are offered in a w2w length- the MegaStep, 7" wide, which has a 5" rubber surface on top, and has a stainless steel 1/2 tube on the side (looks like a nerf bar from the side), as well as the OMega step, which is a 6" wide aluminum step with step pads you can install wherever you want on it. Both are good, sturdy steps, made in South Dakota to boot (see at luvernetruck.com). Another option is the Bedstep2 from Amp Research, which is a retractable box side step... they aren't out just yet, but one is in the works for that truck (see at amp-research.com).
I just looked and they have some nice options ( Grip Steps ) but I didn't see that it would fit in the chart. I just e-mailed them, hopefully they will have one that will work.

Thanks for the help!
-Jason

·
Registered
4 Posts
Those Grip Steps are nice and I've put them on a bunch of trucks (especially for construction vehicles or State vehicles), but they don't offer those for the Tundra in a w2w application. There's not much out there in a nerf bar for w2w applications, either, plus with nerf bars, most are only 3" wide and don't have the step surface area it sounds like you're looking for. Andy

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I happen to prefer nerf bars as there is no toe stop, so I feel more balanced on my arches. I have seen several wheel to wheel model nerf bars at various locations on the web. I am 6' tall and have nerf bars for my single cab 2010. The Tundra is a tall truck, so my concern is whether the bars or the steps for that matter would really give you the reach you need. I've never attached kayacks to the top of my truck, but I cant change my middle cab light standing on the nerfs. I have to open the door and stand on the floorboard to even get close. Maybe the dealer has one with nerfs/steps installed for you to do a height/reach test on? The tundra needs steps or whatever, especially for those who don't ride in them every day, so thats a given, but if the wheel to wheel versions wont give you the access you need, why pay more for the additional length? Just my thoughts.
On my current car (Honda Pilot) I have nerf bars that I don't really like because they are close into the body and I can only get my toes onto them. I don't think that the Tundra will be much difrent in terms of height than the Pilot, I am a bit taller (6'6") and between the nerf bars/steps and the rear wheel I hope that hooking the boats onto the roof of the cap will be fine.

If the Luverne running boards don't work out I was thinking of these:
Westin Automotive Products, Inc. | Premium quality truck, car, SUV, and CUV accessories Model
Westin Platinum Series Oval Nerf Bars with Wide Step - 4-1/2" - Black Steel - Wheel-2-Wheel Westin Tube Steps - Running Boards 24-54345

Does anybody know if they are close to the truck body or can one can balance on ones arches with these?

Thanks -Jason​

·
Premium Member
5,471 Posts
Bill3508 has a set of long tube steps on his DCLB. You might send him a PM for more info.

·
Registered
471 Posts
If you want to do a low-cost option, buy a gently used pair of factory running boards. I paid about $75. Cut them down and add them at the front of the bed. See photos in my gallery. I made two angle brackets from 2"x1" rectangular tubing and bolted them into existing holes in the frame.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you want to do a low-cost option, buy a gently used pair of factory running boards. I paid about $75. Cut them down and add them at the front of the bed. See photos in my gallery. I made two angle brackets from 2"x1" rectangular tubing and bolted them into existing holes in the frame.
Thats just what I need. Your setup looks great. Thanks for the advice!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts