Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to purchase tire/wheel combo for my 2005 Tundra from either tirerack or directtire and would prefer not spending 360 more for new TPMS sensors. The tires are worn and the stock wheels are steel and the TPMS light has been on for a month. TPMS is innovative but I check the air pressure regularly. Local DMV has ignored the TPMS light during past registration renewals. Should I disable the TPMS light (how), continue to ignore the false alarm, or spend the 360? Opinions appreciated.............

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
On the Gen 1 there is a wire in the dash which can be grounded to disable the system. Have a search or just PM my friend Dinosaur.

It is also possible to remove all the sensors from the tires and place them in a pressurized PVC tube kept in the cab.

·
Registered
429 Posts
TPMS is innovative but I check the air pressure regularly......

Quotes like this make me so glad I don't have TPMS. I had it once in a work truck and it rarely spoke truth. I hate when technology belittles common sense. :mad:

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
I have no quarrel with the technology itself, just the lack of user friendliness (can't replace /swap / repair yourself) plus the expense. When they first came out (~2006), getting a set to go with aftermarket rims could approach the cost of the rims themselves. :td:

Cite safety all you want, I can't recall the human race being threatened with extinction before 2006. :beatsme:

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
On the Gen 1 there is a wire in the dash which can be grounded to disable the system. Have a search or just PM my friend Dinosaur.
That's what I did. There's a thread somewhere that shows how. The module is behind the dash btw the radio and glove box. I had a hell of a time getting my hands in there, but other than that it's a simple mod.:tu:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for sharing your opinions on TPMS. Now I will focus on making the best wheel/tire choice for safety + performance. Its one "idiot" light that will be turned off since I perform my own maintenance and TPMS has functioned irratically from day one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
this may have been a fluke, but I wrestled with this annoying light for a long time until I dropped the spare and found it low, filled it, and haven't seen the light since. I'm skeptical this was it but can't point to anything else.

·
Registered
313 Posts
this may have been a fluke, but I wrestled with this annoying light for a long time until I dropped the spare and found it low, filled it, and haven't seen the light since. I'm skeptical this was it but can't point to anything else.

I would definitely not call it a fluke, all the instances I've seen when somebody was fighting with their TPMS light and couldn't figure out why it was on, it was the spare tire

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the tips on TPMS......I didn't have to lower the spare but I was able to get a reading, pump it back up to 35 psi then I was able to turn the TPMS light off:tu:

·
Registered
567 Posts
the spare gets ya every time i spent about a month trying to figure it out when i first bought the truck back in '07 when i got the "you check the spare" speech from the dealer.

Andrew

1 - 13 of 13 Posts