Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I've seen this in a few other threads but haven't seen any real verdict/ideas on what to do regarding wheel well rust on the rear wheel wells. They are rusting quite significantly and I want to mitigate the rust as soon as possible.

Any thoughts? Pictures below .

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Everything I've ever read about this kind of rust problem seems to indicate it's basically hopeless short of cutting off the rusted portion and welding up new metal or complete panel replacement. I have the same problem on several vehicles.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Same issue on my '05, although not quite as bad. I used some VHT rust converter to try and neutralize the rust. Then sprayed with an undercoating to seal it up.
I'm hoping that will seriously slow down or halt the rusting process.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
This is very odd. I'm looking at a used 04 Sequoia from Georgia all of its life ... the undercarriage is absolutely PERFECT. No undercoat that would hide anything ... nothing. 1 owner car, always in Ga .... so that is exactly what I'd expect the undercarriage to look like .... EXCEPT the inside of ONE rear door has rust exactly like pictured above ...eaten all the way through. The other side ... nothing. I just can't stress how PERFECT the undercarriage is on this truck.

Really struck me as odd. Anybody else have any comments on rust like this that does NOT live in the rust belt states? I live in Maine ... believe me, I know what crappy rusted undercarriages look like ... which is why I've sought out a southern vehicle.

Thanks for any thoughts or replies.

·
Registered
40 Posts
This is very odd. I'm looking at a used 04 Sequoia from Georgia all of its life ... the undercarriage is absolutely PERFECT. No undercoat that would hide anything ... nothing. 1 owner car, always in Ga .... so that is exactly what I'd expect the undercarriage to look like .... EXCEPT the inside of ONE rear door has rust exactly like pictured above ...eaten all the way through. The other side ... nothing. I just can't stress how PERFECT the undercarriage is on this truck.

Really struck me as odd. Anybody else have any comments on rust like this that does NOT live in the rust belt states? I live in Maine ... believe me, I know what crappy rusted undercarriages look like ... which is why I've sought out a southern vehicle.

Thanks for any thoughts or replies.
I would suspect a previous accident at some point.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I had almost the exact same problem on my 2002 Sequoia. It had rust on the front wheel well edge of both rear areas. It was covered by the door so you couldn't really see it. That was the only problem I ever had on an otherwise perfect vehicle. No rust anywhere else on the vehicle and a beautiful looking undercarriage. I thought it was really weird.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I wonder if we should consider pre-treating that area for rust? I don't know how hard it is to get behind there. I'm going to try to shot some Fluid Film in that area if possible.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Up here in Ohio if you want to keep anything in decent condition you had better get it oil sprayed every year. I've always done my vehicals in the fall before they hit the roads with any salt or brine.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Been dealing with it on my 3. Remove the flare, as some of that lip will be rusted too. Remove the tire, it will make it easier. Grind away till there is nothing but metal. Trade the grind wheel for a wire wheel. Wire wheel bare metal till smooth. Any open gaps betwixt outer sheet metal and inner sheet metal, fill with seam sealer or steel epoxy, wire wheel smooth. Top it off with JB weld. Spay multiple coats with rusty metal primer, rust retardant paint, then truck bed textured paint. Replace flares.

The first one I did I finished with bondo, and it looked factory. The other 3 I am just happy to keep the rust down. As long as there are not sharp edges for the kids to get cut on, its fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same issue on my '07 Sequoia - just on the driver's side. $650 is a steal based on those pictures! I'm tempted to drive from Raleigh to PA for that kind of deal. Need to find a place in Raleigh, NC that will do the same kind of work for a comparable price.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts