Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm getting together all the parts for my lift, wheels and larger tire install on Thursday. I ordered the spline drive lugs from wheelers but they only had 20 so I had to purchase the last four off amazon. Unfortunately the four off amazon are slightly different. The one on the left are from amazon, the one on the right are from wheelers (per picture). Should I be ok? Is there a problem running these different length lugs together? They both fit fine into the socket but I'm worried the mismatched length could be an issue? I'll be running ProComp 7069 wheels.

lug1.jpg lug2.jpg

·
Registered
358 Posts
Well, I believe your truck is hub centric, the majority of your lugs are for a hub centric except the one set. Will you have a poblem? prob not but I would put one per wheel and order the correct ones, replacing them ASAP.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm putting on ProComp 7069 which are lug centric. Aren't both of these lugs lug centric?

·
Registered
358 Posts
The ones with the shoulder are hub centric, the 'acorn' profile are for lug centrics.

I am about 90% sure of my comments, someone will be along soon to either verify my statement or correct me.. but Id play it safe and spread the acorn profile around (1 per wheel) till you know for sure.

·
Registered
122 Posts
That flat black set most likely will not work at all. The cone shape part is what fits inside the hold to hold the wheel. Normally on the flat set that extra length up front will not fit into the lug hole and therefore not seat correctly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would not use them.. our trucks use the acorn lugs. Your orignal lugs will fit with a thin wall socket. My pro comp wheels are a multi fit wheel with very small holes for the lugs in order to accommodate the 8 or 9 holes that are drilled to fit fords and chevys and toyotas.. anyways my original lug nuts fit with a thin wall 21 mm no issue.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
Vehicles aren't lug- or hub-centric, only wheels. Hub-centric wheels fit tight (no play) over a centering ring or cone that may be part of the hub (stock Toyota), or may be removable (many aftermarket, even lug-centric wheels).

Lug-centric wheels have a countersunk hole for the lugs (most aftermarket). The profile of the hole matches with the chamfered profile of the lug nut, centering the wheel on the hub.

Hub-centric wheels have a flat mating surface, and the lug nuts use a washer between the nut and the wheel. This is Toyota's stock alloy wheels.

Some lug-centric nuts have a threaded snout extending past the chamfered shoulder, like the ones you bought from Wheelers. The snout fits between the lug and the wheel. I have used them in the past on spacers, as well as my American Racing wheels. Both nuts you've posted are lug-centric, and will not mate correctly with stock hub-centric wheels. They will, however, both work just fine with your new lug-centric wheels.

-Sean

·
Premium Member
2,152 Posts
I know you are running aftermarket alloys, but just thought I would add for anyone who reads this thread with a similar issue, or in case the OP ever tries to use these nuts with steel wheels.

Another difference between those nuts, is that the ones with the "snout" past the cone, are pretty much only gonna work on alloys. The ones without the "snout", and just end at the base of the cone, are the only type that will work with steel wheels, but will also work with lug-centric alloys, as stated by Devin.
So something to keep in mind, as you more than likely WONT be able to bolt on your spare if you get a flat...So I would throw a set of 6 basic "acorns" in the glove box or somehwere if you are keeping a steel wheel for a spare.

If you use the non-snout ones on the alloys, I wouldnt put them all on the same wheel, or next to each other...No hard evidence for this, just my peace-of-mind gut feeling that I wouldnt want to run them that way mixed with the "snouted" nuts...

·
Premium Member
2,152 Posts
Actually, I also kinda messed up my qualification for saying those will work with alloy wheels: They will NOT work with OEM (stock) alloys...Like Devin pointed out, the stock alloys use a flat mating surface with washers, NOT a conical surface...

The reason the alloy stock lug nuts WILL work (though they will "look" hokey), with the steel spare, or just about any steel wheel, is because they not only have the flat surface with washers, but they have a conical surface at the bottom of the "snout"....Those ones the OP shows from Amazon, have a flat-ended snout, so wont work with steel wheels.

Also, to use those "snouted" nuts on aftermarket alloys, you would have to make sure the thickness of the wheel from the bottom of the "cone", to the hub-side of the wheel, is longer than the "snout" on the lugs...
If the "snout" is longer than this thickness, then the lug would bottom out on the axle hub before the "cone" can engage the cone surface in the wheel....
Make sense?

·
Registered
122 Posts
MY comment was based on Steely's as well. Sorry about that. I have pro comp steely's on mine and lugs with the snout will not work.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well just to set the story straight. The longer lugs shown in the picture work fine and we're confirmed to work fine by ProComp and the tire store I took the truck too. Pictures of the new wheels to come soon.

·
Registered
328 Posts
The ones you purchased from us are for Lug Centric wheels like the ones you plan on running. The other 4 lug nuts you have should work just fine as long as the are 12mmx1.5. Having just the one lug on each wheel without the extended thread should not be an issue (up to your discretion of course). By the way, we do have ones you ordered back in stock.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts