Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was up in Tahoe a couple weekends ago with my family and our good friends (Derek24 and his brother) doing a little wheeling. We started out just messing around at Prosser Hill and then drove to a somewhat nearby fire tower. The Xterra is my cousin's and has Firestone MTs on it. The Xterra is definately skinnier but with the 5.7, 4.30 gearing and 35s, I kept up with everywhere he went. After screwing around doing donuts we noticed that I had a little bit of chunking on my rear tires (ProComp Xtreme All Terrains) so we looked at his tires. He has about 25,00 - 30,000 miles on them and took out huge chunks. He even managed to rip out an entire tread block. The whole thing was gone. Needless to say he was pissed at the tire and that I was rolling on the ground laughing so hard. The Pro Comps are fine for what I do and I think I will go with an even less aggressive AT next time around (driving clear across country twice in the upcoming year, year and a half) but they did slip in the dust and especially on the hill climbs. The road to the Fire lookout was nothing extreme or even as bad as the hill climb in the picture, but the tires definitely slipped on the rocks and soft dirt. If I were running fire roads all day (Forrest Service Fire Fighter) I would run at least the KM2s but more likely an IROK :devil: Enjoy the pics!

View attachment 44952

View attachment 44951

View attachment 44949

View attachment 44950

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Resized em, hopefully this works
DSC_3018-1.JPG

DSC_3052-1.JPG

DSC_3028-1.JPG

DSC_3093-1.JPG

DSC_3046-1.JPG

DSC_3077-1.JPG

·
Registered
397 Posts
Looks like a lot of fun. Great pics and nice truck:tu:

Where is this trail at/near in Tahoe?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its in North Shore Tahoe. I only know the back way in. If you are heading from Sacramento, take 80 east towards Reno. Take Exit 198 (I think) Overland Trail. Its the last one before the Agriculture Check Point. Turn left, go under the freeway and take the road that parallels the freeway towards the check point. Less than a half mile down there is a dirt road that heads North-ish from the road. Take that and it will dump you out at the top of the hill climbs. The Fire tower was up north bast Stampede Reservoir. If you go to the Ranger station in Truckee they have some really cool laminated maps that you can buy that show all the trails and fishing locations around Tahoe, North Tahoe, and Beyond. The Fire Tower was actually in Humboldt county. Theres a tiny finger that stretches down almost to Stampede Reservoir. Didn't know that until we picked up the map. Stampede is also a great place to go. You pass Boca Reservoir which is packed with fishermen, boaters, and jet skiers. Stampede is only 20 minutes up the road and is empty. We saw one boat there the entire afternoon we were out there. The campsites were empty too while Boca's were a zoo.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Its in North Shore Tahoe. I only know the back way in. If you are heading from Sacramento, take 80 east towards Reno. Take Exit 198 (I think) Overland Trail. Its the last one before the Agriculture Check Point. Turn left, go under the freeway and take the road that parallels the freeway towards the check point. Less than a half mile down there is a dirt road that heads North-ish from the road. Take that and it will dump you out at the top of the hill climbs. The Fire tower was up north bast Stampede Reservoir. If you go to the Ranger station in Truckee they have some really cool laminated maps that you can buy that show all the trails and fishing locations around Tahoe, North Tahoe, and Beyond. The Fire Tower was actually in Humboldt county. Theres a tiny finger that stretches down almost to Stampede Reservoir. Didn't know that until we picked up the map. Stampede is also a great place to go. You pass Boca Reservoir which is packed with fishermen, boaters, and jet skiers. Stampede is only 20 minutes up the road and is empty. We saw one boat there the entire afternoon we were out there. The campsites were empty too while Boca's were a zoo.
Cool, Thanks for the info. I will be doing this next time I have vacation. Hopefully before snow falls.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Nice truck. Looks like a lot of fun. Did you have your front grille linex'd in black or painted?
By looking at his photos in the album it looks like he has the grade tundra so prob be the stock black grill/bumper.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cool, Thanks for the info. I will be doing this next time I have vacation. Hopefully before snow falls.
Do it in the snow too! I havent taken my truck out yet but we wheeled the area one winter back when I had my jeep. Heres a few vids from then so you have an idea what its like in the snow (not too bad). The red Tundra is Derek24's and the black one is his brothers. Heres some of his vids and ill try and find my pictures. We had some pretty good "stucks" but thats cause I treated my jeep as a beater.

YouTube - heep100's Channel

From 2:05 - 5:10 and 6:10 - 730 is what the area looks like in the snow.

YouTube - heep100's Channel

By looking at his photos in the album it looks like he has the grade tundra so prob be the stock black grill/bumper.
Ya I have the Tundra grade so it was all black to begin with. All I painted was the Toyota emblem in the font. I sanded it way down, sprayed a ton of primer, a ton of flat black, and a ton of clear coat the second time around. The first time I lightly sanded and hit it with black but it chipped right away. This has lasted me about 6 months now with no chips.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ya thats been our staring point. My cousin has a cabin partial ownership at Old Greenwood right there so we use any excuse to take the dirt roads. Need something at the store? No prob! well take the long way!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Found some pics from the snow trip. We may have to get a TS trail run goin this winter....
IMG_0010 (2).JPG

IMG_0070.JPG

IMG_0138.JPG

IMG_0111.JPG

IMG_0056.JPG

IMG_0040.JPG

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Forgot the one of the Tundra towing the heep... IMG_0046.JPG

1 - 17 of 17 Posts