Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gang, I am going to be heading to Shenandoah with some friends in late June for some camping. We'd like to do some 'wheeling too. Anyone know of any spots in the Northern Shenandoah or are interested in making a small 'wheeling event out of it? Lemme know.

·
Premium Member
13,116 Posts
Gang, I am going to be heading to Shenandoah with some friends in late June for some camping. We'd like to do some 'wheeling too. Anyone know of any spots in the Northern Shenandoah or are interested in making a small 'wheeling event out of it? Lemme know.

Dude, I've been living in Virginia for 18 years, and I don't know of any place to do any wheeling anywhere around here. But you might want to send a PM to Jetes03tundra. That area is his stomping grounds, and he might know of a place.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dude, I've been living in Virginia for 18 years, and I don't know of any place to do any wheeling anywhere around here. But you might want to send a PM to Jetes03tundra. That area is his stomping grounds, and he might know of a place.
That is ridiculous...Thanks for the lead. Any ideas of any campgrounds that might be worth a trip? Preferably dog friendly?

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Are we talking the National Park area? Of course no wheeling in the park itself, but, my understanding is outside the park there are many "roads" throughout the wildlife management areas that may qualify as "wheeling". You would also be not far from GWNF, which does have trails. Get a VA Gazetteer, look for the little roads marked 4wd. Some are just gravel, some can be fun. Some can be off-limits, watch for gates and signs. Where exactly are you planning a trip to?

In the Nat Park, Big Meadows, Matthews Arm and Lewis campgrounds all have leash laws, probably throughout the park.

The trails I know of for sure are farther south in GW, where camping is dispersed (off trail). We plan on exploring much of the area over the next few summers; camping, fishing, canoeing.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are we talking the National Park area? Of course no wheeling in the park itself, but, my understanding is outside the park there are many "roads" throughout the wildlife management areas that may qualify as "wheeling". You would also be not far from GWNF, which does have trails. Get a VA Gazetteer, look for the little roads marked 4wd. Some are just gravel, some can be fun. Some can be off-limits, watch for gates and signs. Where exactly are you planning a trip to?

In the Nat Park, Big Meadows, Matthews Arm and Lewis campgrounds all have leash laws, probably throughout the park.

The trails I know of for sure are farther south in GW, where camping is dispersed (off trail). We plan on exploring much of the area over the next few summers; camping, fishing, canoeing.
Honestly, haven't figured out where yet. If I can get some specifics on wheeling or some primitive campgrounds that might dictate the 'where' part. Right now, I just know I would love to see some nice scenery and 'wheel a little bit... I need a few days of nature this summer. The hardest part is to camp in a nice area with the dog unless it's primitive most parks don't allow dogs--the places that do are usually crowded campgrounds. For me, the fewer people I see the better. ;-) But y'all are okay...

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Honestly, haven't figured out where yet. If I can get some specifics on wheeling or some primitive campgrounds that might dictate the 'where' part. Right now, I just know I would love to see some nice scenery and 'wheel a little bit... I need a few days of nature this summer. The hardest part is to camp in a nice area with the dog unless it's primitive most parks don't allow dogs--the places that do are usually crowded campgrounds. For me, the fewer people I see the better. ;-) But y'all are okay...
what town are you staying at? that might help find some areas that will be close to you...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts