Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I am going to order my rims on Friday, and wanted to get input.

My truck is a 2009 CrewMax. I have the TRD suspension, so it sits a little lower than stock.

Anyway, this beast is purely a street truck.

I haven't decided for sure on rim size. I was thinking about going with 20s (particularly because that is the size TRD makes their rims).

But recently I have been thinking that a 22 might better fill that wheel opening without too much of a "rubber-band" tire appearance.

I'm thinking Toyo Proxes for the tires.

Anyway, any feedback (and especially pictures) would be appreciated.

·
Registered
327 Posts
When I got my '08, ya couldn't get the TRD suspension with 20s, so I opted to skip the TRD and get the Toyota 20-inch wheels. Been real happy with 'em.

If you get 20" wheels and then add P275/55R20 tires, the speedometer and odometer are still accurate, and your GVW won't change. If you go with 22" wheels and move down to the 45 aspect ratio, you loose a lot on the load capacity, it really looks like a low rider, and I'd worry about bangin' up those fancy wheels on little more than speed bump.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had the Toyo proxes and thought they were great tires!!! Now I have Nitto 420s they seem ok also

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
20s. 22+ just look ghetto IMO.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
22s all the way if it is only a street truck! Love my 22s! JUST MY OPINION, but 22s fill the well a lot better than the 20s. My 22s actually look like 20s because the CMs are so BIG. I went through the same decision making that you are going back and forth between 20s, 22s, 20s, 22s, 20s, 22s, etc. Again, I am very happy that I went with 22s! What wheels are you getting? Nittos handled very well at track. I still ran a 14.71 in the 1/4 mile with the 22s and 305/45/22 Nitto 420s........

GHETTO? I would hate to think anyone sees my ride as GHETTO just because I roll on 22s, but to each his own.

Attachments

·
Registered
233 Posts
all depends on what you like 22's are nice and since u have a big truck, i say go for it !! and 22's aren't ghetto if there not to over done and they fit and compliment the ride !! just what color is your truck ?? and what type of finish are you getting the rims in chrome , polished or black ?? but a street truck go 22's with some rubber NO rubber bands . . . 285 50 22 should fit the difference isn't much , an 1.31'' so its a 33'' tire in stead of a 275 55 which is an 31'' tire . . . good luck bro post pics when u do it

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Is your truck a 4x4? Do you offroad? I would personally do 20s or less. But if it's a street truck...I guess 22s are ok.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
These vehicles are big, wheels start looking 'big' when you start going into the 24/26 range on them. To me, 22" is the perfect median between factory and aftermarket, a 305/45/22 gives you a decent amount of sidewall but you have to be mindfull of the wheel offset to avoid rub. I would either stick with the Yokohama Geolander H/T-S G052 or Pirelli Scorpion ATR.

22" with 305/45/22

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input, and especially the pics.

Those are some seriously sick trucks, fellas! Nice!

Mine is black, 4x2, and I've done some stuff to the appearance, i.e. murdered it out.

I did the S/C and I believe the same exhaust as tigerking.

I'm thing of going with the 22s, 3 piece type rim with flat black spokes and a polished (definitely not chrome) lip.

The point of wheel damage is well taken, especially on these freeways.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I just got my TRD 2/4 kit am going to go with 24 semas to fill out alot nicer . There is a dude on here that ive rain accrose with 26 and the same kit. I am also a pavement pounder olny...:tu:

·
Registered
823 Posts

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
I went with the 22's on mine and absolutly love the look. 22'' wheels with 305/45/22 tires is a very good look for these trucks. Aslo my speedo is dead on. The stock tires were slightly smaller and my speedo was 3 mph faster than actual speed. Pics of mine are in my photo album if you wish to take a peek. The only thing I can suggest is to make sure all your tires are round. I had 1 set of 4 that was out and caused a massive vibration at speeds 50-65. Very annoying. now I have 4 new tires with no vibration. Larger tires tend to have this minor flaw but if found early you can correct it with replacements. Any good tire shop should be able to free spin the wheel and tire on the truck and see if the tire is flawed. I found a shop that can do it with a high speed electric motor that spins the tire to any speed and it will reveal the flaw. Good luck my friend.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
I had the very same dilemma with regard to going with either 20s or 22s. The real issue for me was “quality” in those sizes. It was difficult to find a truly well-made wheel that also looked good and was relatively affordable. I’m sure a lot of people here would disagree with me on this, but the 20” Alcoas that I went with fit the bill and honestly the 22” TRD wheels are really nice too. Both are forged wheels and very high quality (trust me… when you see them in person after seeing a lot of the wheels on display at other places, you’ll know what I mean).
I’m not knocking other people’s choices or anything… just pointing out that you may have different priorities. Had the 22” TRD wheels been a little more affordable, I would have gone with them, but I have no regrets with the 20” Alcoas… they look fantastic so far!
One limiting factor that you’ll need to consider is in the area of tire choice. Not only do you have like 1/3 of the tires available (combination of brand and different widths/diameters) in the 22” size as opposed to the 20” size, but if you go even a little larger than stock (i.e. 33”+) to get some extra side-wall or just for the look, you’ll be paying a pretty hefty price.
The other thing to consider is in terms of durability… if you live in a warm climate, you don’t need to worry too much, but if you live in a climate that has all four seasons in extreme measures, that’s going to narrow down your choices as well as most of the 22” tires are going to be strictly street tires with the exception of a couple of stellar brands (i.e. Nittos, Toyos, etc.)
Either way though, I don’t think you can go wrong… just depends on how deep you want to open your pockets and what goals you’re trying to achieve with this mod. Good luck though and be sure to post pictures of the results!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts