Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a 03 access cab and am looking for a replacment in a double cab. Question when did the 5 speed trannies come out? The 4.7 got its HP boost in 04 I think.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The 5-spd trannies and 4.7 HP boost didn't come till 2005...the 05-06's are the one's with the 5-speed and the VVT-i.

·
Supportive Supporter
1,142 Posts
Hmmmmmm.....
When I was checking out the 07 Tundra recently...my dealer insisted that my 04 DC has a 5 speed....so much so that he went outside to check it. Then came in and said mine didn't have it (duh....I think I might have noticed!) but it was an option in 04.......if so, I wish I would've known.....I think that would be a great feature on my truck! :D
Next time....next time...... :devil:
(So maybe it was an option on the '04's?)

·
Registered
187 Posts
there have always been manual tranny options... only for the V6's though. Toyota never made a 4.7 with a manual transmission.
I know that...but he's referring to the 5-spd AUTOMATIC transmission not the 5-spd manual!:D

·
Registered
256 Posts
The five speed auto didn't come out until '05. Your dealer is incorrect.

·
Supportive Supporter
1,142 Posts
The five speed auto didn't come out until '05. Your dealer is incorrect.
:rolleyes: Figures....the dummazz even said "Look....that's where the button would go" pointing to a spot on the dash near the 4 way flasher button....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am looking at a 04 and the engine is badged as a iforce and the tailgate has the same badge on it. The truck shows a manufacture date of 11/03 on the door. Still not sure on the number of gears in the tranny, but looks like the motors were upgraded in 04 to me.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I am looking at a 04 and the engine is badged as a iforce and the tailgate has the same badge on it. The truck shows a manufacture date of 11/03 on the door. Still not sure on the number of gears in the tranny, but looks like the motors were upgraded in 04 to me.
Its the old engine with the 4spd. VVTI didnt come out till 05

·
Registered
28 Posts
The 5-spd trannies and 4.7 HP boost didn't come till 2005...the 05-06's are the one's with the 5-speed and the VVT-i.
THE 5 SPEED MAKES THE BIG DIFFERENCE WHEN TOWING. NOT SO MUCH THE HSPWR WHICH IS ONLY 283. TORQUE IS THE IMPORTANT #.THE TUNDRA WITH THE 4 SPD DOESNT PULL WELL BETWEEN FIRST AND SECOND.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts