Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
where do you think our first generation tundra will rate, between the t100 and the new and current tundra. i personally think it will be refered to, as the best in the line of full size toyota trucks. of coarse i'm partial. where do you think we will fall in the pecking order ? keeping in mind all aspects such as looks , reliabilty , quality, towing capabilities, ect... should all come in to play. grant it the new tundra is suppost to be a revolutionary change, and to be fair it has only been out a few weeks on the lots. it also has recieved the biggest launch of any of the toyota trucks . you decide. lets hear it. :tu:

·
Banned
159 Posts
Honestly, it won't rate highly.

If you look at all the major compairisons and shoot outs of 1/2 tons done by truck mags over the past 5 years, the Tundra was rarely even included.

Why?

Because torque, tow and hp numbers just don't measure up to a F-150, Ram, Titan or Silverado.

The Tundra really was a segment all to itself; a true mid-size. This in NOT a bad thing and I am still on the fence whether to purchase the 06 or go w/an 07.

·
Registered
70 Posts
GoodCop, Actually my 2006 double cab pulls my 26' trailer better and gets better gas mileage than my 2005 F150 did. So, not everything you stated is true based on my "real world" experience. As a matter of fact, my double cab does everything my F150 did only it does it better. I have no experience with the other trucks as I have been a Ford guy for 25 years.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Honestly, it won't rate highly.

If you look at all the major compairisons and shoot outs of 1/2 tons done by truck mags over the past 5 years, the Tundra was rarely even included.

Why?

Because torque, tow and hp numbers just don't measure up to a F-150, Ram, Titan or Silverado.

The Tundra really was a segment all to itself; a true mid-size. This in NOT a bad thing and I am still on the fence whether to purchase the 06 or go w/an 07.

Excellent points.However, I dont agree that the 1st gen was a mid-size cause as far as those are concerned, the pre-06 Tundras would have blown them all out of the water with HP, torque, etc. I don't see a V8 in a Chevy Colorado so to me its like comparing apples and oranges

Ryan

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i never really concidered it to be mid size truck. i park it next to a ford triton 5.4 almost daily. there is nothing 7/8 about it. it is longer, sits higher and just plain ol' bigger then the ford that happens to belong to my dad. he knows better then to mess around with the tundra :rolleyes:

·
Registered
455 Posts
I pulled up to a new F150 extended cab last night, and my truck sat higher, was longer, and looked much better than his did. This coming from a guy who still owns a 1998 F150 extended cab. It's a big truck. It may not be as wide, but it has a huge back seat, a huge bed for a crew, and a beautiful stance.

Our trucks are known in reviews as "bulletproof", even though a few hiccups of a few recalls/tsb's. They ride more like a car, handle better, have great acceleration with their Lexus V8 engine, and just don't lose value like their peers.

If you look in the April edition of Consumer reports, it shows Toyota at the top of the list as far as average predicted reliability goes. For pickup trucks, the most reliable were the Toyota Tundra, the Tacoma, and Nissan Frontier V6. The least reliable were the Nissan Titan and Dodge Dakota 4WD. This includes 1,302,575 vehicles that were reported in the 2006 Annual Car Reliability Survey.

The most "satisfying" Full-Sized Pickups were the Honda Ridgeline and Toyota Tundra V8 4WD. The least satisfying were the Silverado 2500 2WD and GMC Sierra 2500 2WD.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
I may be sticking my head in the sand here, but I'm not too concerned with resale value. I think those people who are concerned with torque figures and towing capacity are going to look at 3/4 tons and most likely new trucks. Here in California at least, there always seems to be a strong market for clean Toyota trucks. The beach crowd really gravitates towards them and even clean T-100s are overpriced vs other makes.

·
Registered
237 Posts
if it was a domestic it would be known as the largest mid sized truck out there... i think it will be a model for future midsized trucks and a template that the domestics will try to use to fill the void before tacomas become slightly larger and get a v8. Looking at the new Dakota it seems that they are already trying to fill it. personally i think it will be looked back on as market that they created, even if unintentionally, and then abandoned it to make way for the all new midsized 2012 v8 tacoma

·
Registered
147 Posts
I researched full-size pickups for almost a whole year before buying my '06 DC 4x4 last August.

I wanted a vehicle that had the following:

Full-size pickup truck
V8 engine
4X4
Four full-size doors
Bed size to fit my needs
Outstanding Reliability

This vehicle would be my daily driver. I drive almost 50,000 miles per year, in the city, on the highway and in the mountains. Daily elevation changes from 2,000' to 7,500'. VERY harsh winter conditions.

The truck would be used to:

1. Carry me and 2-3 additonal people on a regular basis
2. Tow a 26' boat, two jet skis, two ATV's, two snowmoblies.
3. Haul two kayaks (on a roof rack above the installed cap)
4. Haul three large dogs in crates (bed must be able to fit all three crates)
5. Haul two mountain bikes (on the roof rack)
6. Haul SCUBA gear
7. Haul skis/snow shoes, etc.
8. Moderate off-roading
9. Camping

The truck would need to be:

1. Comfortable for 4 adults
2. Powerful enough to tow/haul what I needed
3. Have a high enough ground clearance for my needs
4. Have a tough 4x4 system
5. BE ABSOLUTELY RELIABLE FOR 10+ YEARS! (assuming proper maintenance)

I had no inclination as to Ford F-150, Chevy Silverado 1500, Dodge Ram 1500, Nissan Titan or Toyota Tundra. They all started as equals.

But after driving each one, and thoroughly evaluating ANY and ALL data available about each model, the '06 Tundra DC SR5 4X4 CLEARLY stood out as the best vehicle for my needs.

I knew that the '07 was coming, and the advances it would make over the '06. But for MY needs, the '06 was and still remains PERFECT.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I researched full-size pickups for almost a whole year before buying my '06 DC 4x4 last August.

I wanted a vehicle that had the following:

Full-size pickup truck
V8 engine
4X4
Four full-size doors
Bed size to fit my needs
Outstanding Reliability

The truck would need to be:

1. Comfortable for 4 adults
2. Powerful enough to tow/haul what I needed
3. Have a high enough ground clearance for my needs
4. Have a tough 4x4 system
5. BE ABSOLUTELY RELIABLE FOR 10+ YEARS! (assuming proper maintenance)

I had no inclination as to Ford F-150, Chevy Silverado 1500, Dodge Ram 1500, Nissan Titan or Toyota Tundra. They all started as equals.

But after driving each one, and thoroughly evaluating ANY and ALL data available about each model, the '06 Tundra DC SR5 4X4 CLEARLY stood out as the best vehicle for my needs.

I knew that the '07 was coming, and the advances it would make over the '06. But for MY needs, the '06 was and still remains PERFECT.
BINGO! I bought my '06 DC for all the same reasons - even less than a month before the '07 was released! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts