Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curently I have 1200 miles on my 5.7L DC. It has been light duty, a mix of around town and freeway driving. When should I do my first oil change?

The owners manual suggests 0-20W or 5W-20. I live in a moderate climate on the west coast. 5W-20W the best?

I plan on doing it myself and was able to get a new cartridge filter from my dealer. Sounds like some are having issues finding them.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Curently I have 1200 miles on my 5.7L DC. It has been light duty, a mix of around town and freeway driving. When should I do my first oil change?

The owners manual suggests 0-20W or 5W-20. I live in a moderate climate on the west coast. 5W-20W the best?

I plan on doing it myself and was able to get a new cartridge filter from my dealer. Sounds like some are having issues finding them.
When I took delivery of my '07 CrewMax on Mar 24th, the dealer performed an oil change. The little sticker says the next oil chage is due @ 3K miles. Being that it's a new motor, I would prefer to have the oil changed at 1500 miles. I got free oil changes from my dealer for 3 years:tu:. Going to take advantage of this and get it done @ 1200 Miles:tu:

Use the viscosity suggested in the owners manual. I'm not sure if 5W-20W is the best for your climate? Maybe someone else will be able to suggest the right oil.

Good luck with your first oil change:tu:

·
Registered
435 Posts
The first oil change should be done at 5,000 miles. That's also the interval recommended by the owner's manual. The oil that comes in your engine is conventional oil, just like what you put back in it. Unlike the old days, they don't use any kind of 'break in' oil or other substance.

Obviously, you can change it at 1,500 or 3,000 or even 4,000 miles...but it's not necessary.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I changed my oil at 1100 miles. I am a firm believer in getting anything out of the engine that is left over from the manufacturing process etc. I will be changing my diffs and transfer case soon.

·
Registered
848 Posts
The first oil change should be done at 5,000 miles. That's also the interval recommended by the owner's manual. The oil that comes in your engine is conventional oil, just like what you put back in it. Unlike the old days, they don't use any kind of 'break in' oil or other substance.

Obviously, you can change it at 1,500 or 3,000 or even 4,000 miles...but it's not necessary.

actually your wrong .... the oil that comes in your engine from the factory is conventional oil that part your right ... but the oil you will be using and that is recomended is 0w20 and that oil IS full synthetic . the factory uses conventional oil on break in only then you will be using the synthetic once the engine is broken in ... and this is also the reason we are getting bad gas mileage ... the original oil they put in is a 5w30 oil and the 0w20 oil is thiner and will give us better gas mileage

i went through this with my 07 scion tc that also uses 0w20 and i called toyota about this and they stated to run the conventional oil till 5000 miles and then use the oem 0w20 .. i have done this on the tc with only using toyota brand 0w20 oil and the fuel milage has improved i am praying the same will happen with the tundra this has been discussed quite a bit on scionlife.com and they have had alot of complaints of when you take your car in the dealer the lube tech just pumps 5w 30 in it when the 0w20 is required so you gotta stay on top of them

·
Registered
595 Posts
I changed my oil at 1100 miles. I am a firm believer in getting anything out of the engine that is left over from the manufacturing process etc. I will be changing my diffs and transfer case soon.
I feel the same way. Mine would be done already but the dealer doesn't have any filters.:cry: I may just drain the oil now (1.5K) and leave the filter until 5K.

I know the tranny is filled with synthetic fluid, are the diffs and transfer case filled with synthetic or dino from the factory? I plan on changing them out with synthetic in an effort to get every last MPG I can from the truck.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am able to readily able find Mobil 1 5W-20W at my local parts store. They did not stock 0-20W,in Mobil 1 or any other brand unless I just missed it. Any reason not to use the 5W-20W?

·
Registered
595 Posts
but the oil you will be using and that is recomended is 0w20 and that oil IS full synthetic . the factory uses conventional oil on break in only then you will be using the synthetic once the engine is broken in ...
You are positive the 0w20 is full synthetic? If that is true then the 20 dollar oil changes from my dealer are a bargain. Of course they will up the price once they realize it's synthetic oil.

I will still drain my oil soon.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I found this digging around Mobil1's website and found this:

Myth: You should break in your engine with conventional oil, then switch to a synthetic oil like Mobil 1. Reality:
You can start using Mobil 1® in new vehicles at any time, even in brand new vehicles. In fact, Mobil 1 is original equipment (it is installed at the factory) in:
  • Acura RDX
  • Aston Martin
  • Bentley Amage and Bentley GT
  • Cadillac CTS, CTS-V, XLR, XLR-V, SRX and STS and STS-V
  • Chevrolet Corvette C6 and Z06
  • Chevrolet SSR
  • Chevrolet TrailBlazer SS
  • Chrysler 300C SRT-8 and Crossfire SRT-6
  • Cobalt SS
  • Dodge Ram SRT-10
  • Dodge Charger SRT-8, Magnum, and Viper
  • Jeep Cherokee SRT-8
  • Mercedes-Benz AMG vehicles
  • Mercedes SLR
  • Mitsubishi EVO III
  • Pontiac GTO
  • All Porsche vehicles
  • Saturn Red Line
  • Viper SRT-10
One of the myths surrounding synthetic oils is that new engines require a break-in period with conventional oil. The fact is, current engine manufacturing technology does not require this break-in period. As indicated by the decisions of the engineers who design the high-performance cars listed above, Mobil 1 can be used starting the day you drive the car off the showroom floor.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My nav unit gave me an alert just prior to 3k miles to get it changed. I'm waiting until 5k as listed in the owners manual.

·
Registered
848 Posts
You are positive the 0w20 is full synthetic? If that is true then the 20 dollar oil changes from my dealer are a bargain. Of course they will up the price once they realize it's synthetic oil.

I will still drain my oil soon.

yes i stock all oem Toyota & Honda oils at my shop ... i have a bottle of it in front of me part # 00920-1qt0w and it says full synthetic (red bottle) this is the oil recomended for the tundra 5.7L

as i mentioned before dealers have been caught using just 5w30 instead because it is cheaper and there is almost no way you would know so when you take the truck in be VERY specific what oil you want installed in your truck and remember they dont make 0w20 in bulk so they must use bottle oil (more expencive)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Almost all of the above is true-These guys get paid about $9.00 an hour and you'd be hard pressed to find one that's going to go an extra mile to find out if they need to use anything other than 5w-30. I work at a dealership and the the service advisor is so busy he/she is just happy to tell you you're oil change is done. I would say make sure its on the order and the advisor actually circles it. Even this isn't fool proof. On my '06 I gave them the Mobil 1 to put in it-low and behold -one day walking around the mechanic's bay I saw 2 cases of mobil 1 5w30-and I remembered a sticker that covered the holes i poked through to carry them, yep these 2 cases were the ones i brought in and i have no idea what was put in my '06 on two oil changes. The next day I called my advisor and he got hostile with me and said what I brought in got put in. No sir! They are so trained to protect the dealership they'd lie to anyone with a straight face. For the '07 I actually went to 2 Walmarts and rounded up 14 qts.(as this stuff is hard to find) of Mobil 1 0w-20 full syn. that is recommended for the better gas mileage and will change myself, with about 500 miles on the odo. And I need to find filter too as parts guy says I'll have one on sat. we will see. Keep receipts for records. The sad fact is you wont know what you're getting unless you do it yourself. Don't forget IF WANT SOMETHING DONE RIGHT YOU GOTTA DO IT YOURSELF!!!:tu::tu:

·
Registered
146 Posts
I changed mine at 2250 and will be changing it again next week at 5000 then it is 5000 intervals for me. I used 5w-30.

·
Registered
832 Posts
We put synthetic oil in a rebuilt engine one time on initial start up... It knocked, we thought it was broke for a sec.. Then I was like I heard one time not to put synthetic into a new engine. We changed it to some 30W oil sitting around and it didn't knock anymore.

This was on an 84 bronco I6 for use on my cousin's deer lease. We put the synthetic in because I had a case sitting around for my LT1 that I didn't drive anymore. It's been like 3 years and it still has that 30W oil in it :p

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My local parts store stocks Mobil 1 5W-20W, but not 0-20W. So I picked some up at $5.99 a quart. Is there a way or place that can beat that price?

·
Registered
209 Posts
My local parts store stocks Mobil 1 5W-20W, but not 0-20W. So I picked some up at $5.99 a quart. Is there a way or place that can beat that price?
You can go to mobil1.com and do a retail locater. When I did one here in Md. only Walmarts came up. So I called to see how many cases I could get and they said oh no only qts. So I went out last night and snatched everything up from the 2 nearest stores. I was going to go to customer service to see if I could talk to a manager or something to see if I can get cases, but the line was too long and the hell with it I got enough for initial set-up and first 5k mile or 6 month "warranty must". I paid 5.97 a qrt. Wow I'm thinking if can get large qnty. at rock bottom price, make some $$$$$ on ebay???????

·
Registered
848 Posts
why dont you buy the oem oil? its made by mobil and its full synthetic and best of all its oem my cost is cheaper then i get mobil 1 for ... and i would rather have oem oil in my engine rather then any other brand but i guess its personal choice

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.