Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a camper shell on my 2006 Access cab Tundra and do not need the light at the top of the cabin in the back. I was thinking about using the signal ( to turn on some lights ) behind the truck or maybe inside the camper shell to illuminate an area useful to me.

My question is: How do I find the wires that feed the stock light so I can add a length of wire and locate a new light where I need it ?

·
2,444 Posts
Maybe this will help. See attached.

I like the idea and thought about doing something similar. I would be interested in any information if you do make it happen.

Attachments

·
Mech. Engr. / Mechanic
824 Posts
Thanks for the pdf, I looked in my files but couldn't find one that showed the routing.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ThanX guys for the info. For my access cab the cargo light wires are coming up from the driver's side "A" pillar. Now all I need is to find out which wire(s) controls the cargo light. I will test them all and find out.

·
2,444 Posts
Glad I could help... but the real thanks goes once again to TS.

I came across the PDF when someone else had posted it, and when I find things like that they definitely get saved. Just passing it along.

Gotta love this forum!

·
Registered
367 Posts
I actually tapped into that same control wire for my '04 DC. I added some cargo lights under-the-rail in the pickup box, because the one at the top of the cab is useless when you have a tonneau cover. Its been a couple of years since I did the modification, though.

As near as I can tell from the wiring diagrams I've got, for the Double Cab, the wire you want is the black wire with the white stripe, coming off of pin 6 on the body ECU. You can also get at that wire from the "junction block" behind the panel where the cargo light switch is; but the body ECU is probably easier to get at. I'm not sure exactly where the wires are for the non-Double Cab, but I've included the PDF's you would need to hunt it down here.

If you are working on DC, take a look at the first post in this http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/172798-turn-cargo-interior-lights-opening-tailgate/. thread. You won't care so much about most of the how-to, but it does show you how to get at the body ECU.

Good luck...

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm going to do this mod as well. My camper shell has a light that is wired to the parking lights, so I have to run too many bulbs when I have tailgate parties.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts