Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed out the air intake for the TRD CAI and got everything done but can't find the 4mm or 5/32 12 point socket to change out the stud to be able to put the plastic cover back over the engine. I had a 6pt but it wouldn't work. Any suggetstions?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I changed out the air intake for the TRD CAI and got everything done but can't find the 4mm or 5/32 12 point socket to change out the stud to be able to put the plastic cover back over the engine. I had a 6pt but it wouldn't work. Any suggetstions?

Thanks
You used the same socket to remove the cover?

Its been a while, but I believe I used a deep well socket to remove mine because of the acorn shaped nuts wouldnt let the short sockets fit.

BTW, try not to use a 12-pnt unless you obsolutely have to. They have less contact area then a 6-pnt socket, and can easily damage the edges of nuts and bolts, and vice versa.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input, BUT I went to 3 different SEARS stores and they have them, just not in 12pt. The catalog doesn't even have it listed. The nut holding the cover on is a different size. I'll check the 6 again but it seems like it doesn't work but I'll see if an adjustable will.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I installed my TRD CAI today. I can confirm what I indicated yesterday based on others' posts...that a standard 4mm socket will work just fine for the one bolt that is a 12-point. There was not much torque upon removal and it doesn't need to be torqued hard on installation to the TRD part. IMO save yourself the hassle of getting a 12-point, but I'm not sure why you say that a standard 6-point socket wouldn't work for you? :confused:

If a 4mm socket doesn't work for you like it did for me just use vice grips like previously suggested.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts