Votes: 0 0.0%
  • only bad if u bag it!

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all! just bought a 2010 tundra platinum,black on black! i will be in ft.wayne area in aug,and often this winter(coaching hockey)i am from edmonton alberta,stuff up here is crazy expensive!looking for;running boards,preformance chip(not sure which is best brand)a preformance exaust system,and a cool air,ram air or even a k&n type air system.thks for the help...........espo35

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
um....try looking around here before you start something like this...the fuel economy thing is pretty much useless as that topic has been beat to death. performance chips? haha. again do some research or browsing here. welcome but you really should take some time to look around before starting posts like this.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Yeah good luck with the fuel economy thing. It's all relative and your descriptive terms can mean different things to different people. Considering that it's nearly 400 hp and 400 pounds of torque, I think the fact that a 5.7 Crewmax can still get 14 mpg overall and average over 19 mpg at 55 mph on the highway like it's competitors with 100 fewer hp is incredible. In fact I think most complaints about fuel economy nowadays are BS considering a 4000 pound muscle car with 400 and 400 was a 11 or 12 mpg vehicle 40 years ago and a 6000 pound pickup with the same numbers is a 14 or 15 mpg vehicle today.

If you're coming from a Prius or something else and didn't have any idea what to expect in a half ton (like alot of people on this site) you'll think it's horrendous. If you've never owned anything other than a V8 pickup you'll probably think it's about average or slightly better.

If you think taking it easy means only doing 70 mph on the highway (like many on this site) you'll be disappointed. If you think taking it easy means doing 55-60 you may be pleasantly surprised.

If you focus on the two numbers on the window sticker and ignore the phrase underneath that says actual mileage varies within a certain range, you'll be disappointed. If you actually read the entire window sticker on the vehicle you buy, you'll know what to expect.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the response,i am coming out of an avalanche 5.3l i was getting 14-16 mpg ,i am sure for the extra HP i will be impressed!from edmonton to calgary(3hr drive)the speed limit is 70 mph.........will be fun!

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
on the internet.....

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yeah good luck with the fuel economy thing. It's all relative and your descriptive terms can mean different things to different people. Considering that it's nearly 400 hp and 400 pounds of torque, I think the fact that a 5.7 Crewmax can still get 14 mpg overall and average over 19 mpg at 55 mph on the highway like it's competitors with 100 fewer hp is incredible. In fact I think most complaints about fuel economy nowadays are BS considering a 4000 pound muscle car with 400 and 400 was a 11 or 12 mpg vehicle 40 years ago and a 6000 pound pickup with the same numbers is a 14 or 15 mpg vehicle today.

If you're coming from a Prius or something else and didn't have any idea what to expect in a half ton (like alot of people on this site) you'll think it's horrendous. If you've never owned anything other than a V8 pickup you'll probably think it's about average or slightly better.

If you think taking it easy means only doing 70 mph on the highway (like many on this site) you'll be disappointed. If you think taking it easy means doing 55-60 you may be pleasantly surprised.

If you focus on the two numbers on the window sticker and ignore the phrase underneath that says actual mileage varies within a certain range, you'll be disappointed. If you actually read the entire window sticker on the vehicle you buy, you'll know what to expect.
OK..OK I get it.. Toyota cant work miracles with a big heavy pickup... I was just expecting better mpg than my old 5.3 liter z71. I'm not the one who was puttin out all the ads that stated the 4.6 liter was expected to get above 20 mpg easily because of the new technology available.. they did manage to get about the same mpg and HP with a smaller engine and a higher ratio diff set up.. so I guess thats still an improvement

·
Registered
179 Posts
i picked up a k&N intake for around $250 on ebay, also picked up a gibson dual extreme cat back exhaust for around $300 on ebay, so if you search you will find. hid's go for around $40 also on ebay, so yeah it looks like the internet is the way to go! also saw a gttuner performance chip for around $350, yeah on ebay as far as running boards i got the ss from the factory. but i'm pretty sure ebay will have a set waiting for you. by the way congrats and welcome!

Suprising you got a platinum and it didn't come with running boards? Anyways post some pics

1 - 7 of 7 Posts