Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing a Kenwood DNX 6960 and I need to know where to hook up the mute wire in a 2007 Tundra with JBL non nav. Do I even need to hook up the mute wire at all? The new kenwood does have Bluetooth.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am installing a Kenwood DNX 6960 and I need to know where to hook up the mute wire in a 2007 Tundra with JBL non nav. Do I even need to hook up the mute wire at all? The new kenwood does have Bluetooth.
I can't speak for the Kenwood, but on my Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT the mute wire has nothing to do with muting the audio. I'm not exactly what it's intended for but I know you move it in the harness in procedure to 'bypass' the parking brake feature on these units.

·
Registered
819 Posts
i did not hook it up when I installed my Pioneer 4100.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm not sure what it is for either. I just installed my Kenwood ddx616 over the weekend and I have the same mute wire. I left it alone. Everything is working fine.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The "MUTE" wire will attenuate the sound of the head-unit when triggered (12Volts) from an "External Source" ( e.g. Separate Bluetooth unit).

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was told by Kenwood via email that the mute wire is for older cell phone hook ups and does not need to be used in today's modern cell phone usage. They said to just cap it off. I'm not really sure why they would even put it in the harness any more. Oh well.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I was told by Kenwood via email that the mute wire is for older cell phone hook ups and does not need to be used in today's modern cell phone usage. They said to just cap it off. I'm not really sure why they would even put it in the harness any more. Oh well.
I'm using mine with an OEM Blue-tooth module on a Pioneer AVH-P3100. It allowed me to keep my existing module instead of purchasing an additional Pioneer Blue-tooth module which would use their IP bus connector. You may also want the audio to mute if using a reverse sensor system to allow you to hear the beeps (less distraction) without having to manually mute the head-unit. As you mentioned, just cap it off if not required.

·
Registered
246 Posts
if i remember correctly, the mute wire is for HU with bluetooth function and when phone rings, the radio or whatever you are playing will stop playing. in the instruction it says to hook it up to a ground.. i will double check the instruction..

·
Registered
246 Posts
yup... just checked.. you are supposed to hook it up to the ground.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts