Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is the oil filter located on the new Toyota Tundra SR5 with the 5.7 liter engine? I have crawled around under mine and cannot seem to locate it.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Unbelievable...that's going back 30 years. I can't believe that they don't use a spin-on filter like everyone else! How much will the "Pipe" adapter cost and where do you get one?? The filter elements will probably only be available at Toyota...at $20.00 a piece. Do the other engines use the same setup??

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Unbelievable...that's going back 30 years. I can't believe that they don't use a spin-on filter like everyone else! How much will the "Pipe" adapter cost and where do you get one?? The filter elements will probably only be available at Toyota...at $20.00 a piece. Do the other engines use the same setup??
the element comes with the kit. other companies will make one. calm down. its just an oil change

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Didn't mean to get excited, but I have dealt with filter elements before...a long time ago. I can do an oil change on my 97 Silverado in about 10 minutes with 2 tools...no muss, no fuss. This looks like it will be an afternoon project...with lots of screws and bolts to keep track of, as well as "O" rings, screw drivers, and wrenches. I really want to buy a Tundra, but the more I read on this Forum, the more discouraged I become!!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Didn't mean to get excited, but I have dealt with filter elements before...a long time ago. I can do an oil change on my 97 Silverado in about 10 minutes with 2 tools...no muss, no fuss. This looks like it will be an afternoon project...with lots of screws and bolts to keep track of, as well as "O" rings, screw drivers, and wrenches. I really want to buy a Tundra, but the more I read on this Forum, the more discouraged I become!!
i also have done cartriges and found them to be a cleaner job to do, and very easy. the toughest thing to do is take the skid plate off.... if you call that tough.

You drain the housing before removing it, which makes it clean. the o rings come with the kit, the tube comes with the kit.. everything. piece of cake man.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
OK...that leads to my next question...how much is the kit?? Can I buy them at NAPA or AutoZone, or just from Toyota?? How much are the dealers charging for an oil change?

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Has anyone done an oil change on their 5.7? How long did it take you? Where did you buy the filter element kit, and how much did it cost??

·
Registered
81 Posts
I got my filter from Toyota, I think it was about $4.50. It comes with the nylon adapter to drain the cartridge, 2 new o-rings, you will need to buy a short peice of rubber tubing (.59 in ID, although I got a .5 in ID piece of vinyl to work) to attach to the nylon adapter if you want to direct the oil from the filter to yor drain pan. It takes about 5 minutes to replace the filter, and that includes removing the under engine cover (the first time may take longer, but after that its a snap). You need a 12mm socket for removing the cover). 5 bolts and 3 philips head screws hold the cover, along with two hooks at the front. Once you remove the 5 bolts and 3 screws, push up and slightly slide (maybe 1/2 inch or so) the cover to the drivers side of the vehicle and the front hooks will disengage, alowing the cover to come off, exposing the filter unit. I like the cartridge filter, it is a step up. See attached .pdf for direction.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Thanks for the info...much appreciated! I was hoping it wasn't going to be a big deal. Just seems strange that they went to an element filter instead of a spin on. I just hope the element kit becomes available at auto parts stores because my closest Toyota dealer is 120 miles away.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Thanks for the info, I was also trying to find my filter. I must agree Toyota seems to have made this harder than it needs to be. On my f350 the cartridge was right on the top, took five minutes tops. Of course that truck also needed a $8,000 head replacement at 18,000 miles :eek:

Kirk

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Thanks for the info, I was also trying to find my filter. I must agree Toyota seems to have made this harder than it needs to be. On my f350 the cartridge was right on the top, took five minutes tops. Of course that truck also needed a $8,000 head replacement at 18,000 miles :eek:

Kirk
Which is the exact same reason that I am trading in my '05 F250 6 liter for a Tundra.

·
Banned
888 Posts
WIX will have a spin-on available very soon,their working on one as we speak :tu: :cool: :tu:

Thanks for the info...much appreciated! I was hoping it wasn't going to be a big deal. Just seems strange that they went to an element filter instead of a spin on. I just hope the element kit becomes available at auto parts stores because my closest Toyota dealer is 120 miles away.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
A spin-on will not work using the factory installed filter element, at least not without modifications to the exsisting setup.

·
Banned
888 Posts
If the existing format wasn't changed what good would a spin-on filter be ? :rolleyes:
WIX has been at the game far longer then Toyota and I'm very confident they'll pull it off without to much trouble.The concept has already been discussed and the adapter is pretty simple to get around the design flaw of the canister oil filter.
I cant wait to receive the proto-type :D

:tu: :cool: :tu:

A spin-on will not work using the factory installed filter element, at least not without modifications to the existing setup.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Well I changed it, MUCH harder than it needs to be. Probably looking at least 30 minutes minimum. Taking off the skid plate is a pain in the a$$:cry: . No big deal but Toyota is way behind on this aspect. The funny thing was I took out over 8 quarts of oil.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've changed mine twice once at 2250 and again at 5100 miles. The skid plate is a pain. I have had some issues getting the plastic filter housing off. I dont have the SST form Toyota. I may need to goet it.
I am interested in the Wix filter.

·
Registered
528 Posts
If the existing format wasn't changed what good would a spin-on filter be ? :rolleyes:
WIX has been at the game far longer then Toyota and I'm very confident they'll pull it off without to much trouble.The concept has already been discussed and the adapter is pretty simple to get around the design flaw of the canister oil filter.
I cant wait to receive the proto-type :D

:tu: :cool: :tu:
Design flaw????? Not sure what you are talking about because Toyota is not the only company who has filters like this. The engineers at Toyota and BMW who develop these engines know a lot more about these than any of us on this board and I am more then certain that they have specific reasons for the filter design. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean its a design flaw.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.