Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 3 week old HiHy and my husband just went to change the oil for the first time (3500 miles)

Couldn't find the filter! Any hints from someone who knows?

Thanks in advance!:ts:

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
I can do a change from above on my NON hybrid H/L , There are Toyota instructions for HiHy saying to remove lower splash shield as the HiHy has engine covered well from above.:)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I changed the oil in my wife's 2007 Highlander Hybrid a few weeks ago. You need to:

1. Have a long, skinny arm with a lot of strength
2. Take the splash plate off
3. A specialized Oil Filter wrench

It was a complete pain and the stock oil filter does not have any kind of "sure grip" top where it is easy to turn. I ended up pucturing the filter with a small screwdriver to turn it. Her Highlander has a Fram Sure Grip Filter on it now so it will easier 1200 miles from now when the next change is due. Otherwise, the Highlander Hybrid is great and certainly gets better mileage then my 2007 Tundra with the 5.7L V8.

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
The Fram Sure grip ,sure it has a grippy non slip surface. But unfortunately all Fram filters are below par and fall below Toyota O/E Filter quality. The better stuff that exceeds O/E would be Purolator "Pure One"(only), Mobil 1 Oil Filter and K&N Oil filter. The K& N has a one Inch Nut spot welded to case for removing The filter with an adjustable wrench. But any good oil filter wrench will get off any filter. No need to use a screwdriver!?1? Well at least that should not be a regular habit...messy too!

LT

·
Registered
25 Posts
thanks for the advice, but I really don't need a lesson on how to change oil. I was trying to offer my experience with a difficult situation, but maybe LT is an expert and can remove those OEM oil filters better than me. :tu:

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
thanks for the advice, but I really don't need a lesson on how to change oil. I was trying to offer my experience with a difficult situation, but maybe LT is an expert and can remove those OEM oil filters better than me. :tu:
No one needs to be ASE certified to change their oil....if that's what yu are implying...I agree whole heartedly.

I just find that many of my friends have "Discovered" this Fram Rubber coated filter...and it is just a marketting gimmick.

And Any filter that is properly installed, first hand tight then 1/4 -1/3 turn more with a "suitable" Filter wrench, should be removed by a wrench as well. If yu plan on removing your filters by hand at OCI's because they were put on only hand tight...then plan on serious consequences to your engine down the road.

PS I feel Fram oil filters are junk. I tell all my friends this and, I will not hold back on this here at TS.
Will not put one any vehicle I own. But, to each his own.;)
Don't take my word for it. Do some research!

:)
LT

·
Retired Contributor
2010 Tundra/2015 4 Runner/2007 Prius
5,942 Posts
I have to agree, the FRAM filters are not up to par. They come apart very easily inside. If you've ever taken a oil pump apart, you can find remains of that oil filter inside. I have seen more than 1 of these filters plug the oil feed hole to the timing chain tensioner in an old 22r(e). I stopped using those filters back in the 80's and wont ever use them again nor will any of my customers and friends.
The grippy stuff is a novel idea, but as lifetech said its a marketing gimmick, any good filter wrench will do the job and why pay extra for the grippy stuff, when you only pay for the wrench once.
I also change oil filters from the top on all NonHiHY.

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
I changed the oil in my wife's 2007 Highlander Hybrid a few weeks ago. You need to:

1. Have a long, skinny arm with a lot of strength
2. Take the splash plate off
3. A specialized Oil Filter wrench

It was a complete pain and the stock oil filter does not have any kind of "sure grip" top where it is easy to turn. I ended up pucturing the filter with a small screwdriver to turn it. Her Highlander has a Fram Sure Grip Filter on it now so it will easier 1200 miles from now when the next change is due. Otherwise, the Highlander Hybrid is great and certainly gets better mileage then my 2007 Tundra with the 5.7L V8.
Thanks for the info. I have a 2007 HyHi that is due for an oil change ... I appreciate your report.

You might find that the oil filter wrench shown below takes care of all your oil filter problems. It should be in every man's toolchest. Slip a socket-wrench drive into the square hole (add an extension if necessary), and turn it ... the three arms are on a cammed base ... they close increasingly tightly around the filter base and it has to come off. I've never had a problem using this wrench. Get one at most any AutoZone, Standard Auto, O'Reilly's, Pep Boys, etc. No more than $10 max. And for what it's worth ... I'd stay away from the Fram filters ... Toyota's filters are top-rated and reasonably priced ... stick with them.

[FONT=arial, helvetica]
[/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica]Universal 3-Jaw Oil Filter Wrench[/FONT]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts