Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the Tundra world. I just bought an 06 DC with 120K miles on it. The truck runs and drives like new. I've searched and can't seem to find where on the gauge my oil pressure should be running. When the truck is first started, it will jump to just below half way. After it is warmed up, it pretty much stays right at or just above the first mark. If I run it at a little faster speed and get the RPM's up it will come up slightly but goes right back to where it was when I slow down. I was just wondering if this was normal or should I be concerned.

Thanks,
Mikebuzz

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
It's pretty much normal. When idling or at low speeds, mine stays pretty low and has since I bought it. Had me worried at first, but 6 or 7 years later, I don't give it much thought.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Read in the owner's manual; it describes / illustrates the idle position vs operating speed position of the gauge. "Normal" operating range is much lower than you would expect. When I first bought my '02 AC I thought the oil press was dropping to ZERO at idle. Owner's manual says it's still in the normal range

·
Registered
842 Posts
when the engine is full hot, mine sits right at the lowest line on the gauge (not zero but right above)

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have an '06 and it sits at about a needles width above the half-way hash mark when cruising on the freeway, and about half below when idling. When I first start it int eh morning it shoots up to about the 3/4's hash for the first minute or so.

Am I putting too much oil in? 6.5 quarts with filter change, right?

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, there are threads on this.
it depends on year & motor.
i belive you are fine.
i remember people here said it goes from the 1/4 line to 3/4 punching it.
it also depends on your mods, that will also change the pressure guage.
but no where did i ever read at zero while running. what i mean is: it stay's where it is when the engine is off, when you are starting or running your tundra.
gorilla

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
My '02 takes 6.5 quts. with a filter change. When I start it in the morning,
especially now in the winter, it's close to the 3/4 mark. When it's warm
it's at the 1/2 mark while driving. I don't get the RPM's much above the
2,000 range. Idling when warmed up it's at the 1/4 mark.

I use 5W30 synthetic oil, and noticed when I made the switch it actually
reads slightly below those marks under the same conditions.

John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts