Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is the best place to buy bilstein 5100s atm? Also whats the best place to buy a block to lift the rear end? And one last question, is there a detailed walkthrough on how to install the bilsteins on the tundra with maybe some pictures? Thanks boys!

·
Forum Admin
8,277 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,561 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How difficult is the installation of the 5100s? A family member owns a wheel/tire shop that is selling me my Mickey Thompson Baja MTZs, he said he has a machine to compress the spring and whatnot so he can install for me, but he has never installed these shocks before. I have read a few diff stories of shops installing them wrong and bad things happening. Is there somewhere that goes through the process in fair details with maybe some pics so we can avoid any errors? He normally installs the spacer kit but I told him I would rather do this b/c of reading on here that 5100s > Spacers. But I didnt know how to explain to him how this works.

·
Super Moderator
8,561 Posts
How difficult is the installation of the 5100s? A family member owns a wheel/tire shop that is selling me my Mickey Thompson Baja MTZs, he said he has a machine to compress the spring and whatnot so he can install for me, but he has never installed these shocks before. I have read a few diff stories of shops installing them wrong and bad things happening. Is there somewhere that goes through the process in fair details with maybe some pics so we can avoid any errors? He normally installs the spacer kit but I told him I would rather do this b/c of reading on here that 5100s > Spacers. But I didnt know how to explain to him how this works.
The only thing different with the adjustable 5100s is the placement of the lower spring perch. Just make sure to follow the instructions. The only real mistake you can make its to install it upside down. The narrow part (cone) of the perch points up.

I attached an image of the different spring perch settings for each specific desired lift below. You might want to print it out and give it to your installer. It shows the direction the spring perches lay.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With top notch 2.5" on front, should I get 1" or 1.5" Block for the back? Alum or Cast Iron?

Tires are going to be 33x12.50x16

·
Super Moderator
8,561 Posts
With top notch 2.5" on front, should I get 1" or 1.5" Block for the back? Alum or Cast Iron?

Tires are going to be 33x12.50x16
2.5" up front + 1" block/AAL in the back will level it. Just make sure that the block is installed with the bevel pointed in the correct direction to maintain driveshaft geometry. Get the block from Wheelers.

I'd also highly suggest you add the poly sway bar/bump stop bushing set with your order for another $24. If your steering rack shows too much motion, get their rack bushing set as well. Save some $$$ in shipping.

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
If he has a wall-mount spring compressor like this one (Branick),

it will be a piece of cake...swapping the springs from your existing shocks to the 5100s will literally take less than five minutes per shock.

Figure on two to three hours shop time, drive in to drive out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just ordered 2x of the 5100s for the front, and I ordered a block set for the back. I didn't pay attention and chose the cast iron over the aluminum, not realizing that aluminum was 1" lift and cast iron was 1.5" lift. That extra .5" shouldnt be a big difference should it? I mean my truck would still be for level for the most part right?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts