Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got around to installing an amplifier and running decent wire in preparation for new door speakers. Removing the door panels was not terribly difficult, but some of the small clips broke. There are 3 types of clips involved:
1. There are the white ones that do the majority of the work and they are the male component that inserts into the metal holes on the doors. I broke a couple of those both on the doors and also when removing the rear panel behind the rear seats on my crewmax. (my amp was too big to put under the passenger seat).
2. There are some small black ones that can be seen from the outside on the upper panels on the door. These all broke, and I am not sure that you can get those out without breaking them.
3. There are some smaller female white clips that fit into the metal slot in the door and a male component on the upper panel on the doors slips into those. Those break pretty easy too.

Where do I find replacement clips?

A big thanks to this forum for some advice on how to get the amplifier wire through the firewall. Hopefully someone knows where to get the clips, so I can keep things tight.

On a secondary note, I saw somewhere that I can pay to be a member and have access to more stuff...how much and how much more stuff do I get?

·
Registered
54 Posts
The small black clips you just push the center in gently until it clicks/stops, don't push them all the way through. Then you can pull them out with your finger.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
I happened to find this place today while looking for something else.
fastenerwarehouse.com/
A lot of their stuff only comes in large quantities, but if you get stuck it might be cheaper than the stealership.
I would rather pay $20 for a bag of 100 of something than $10 each to the dealer for two!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I happened to find this place today while looking for something else.
fastenerwarehouse.com/
A lot of their stuff only comes in large quantities, but if you get stuck it might be cheaper than the stealership.
I would rather pay $20 for a bag of 100 of something than $10 each to the dealer for two!
Also try this place www.clipsandfasteners.com

I was able to find every fastener and clip I needed on the last mod where the dealer had a tough time matching the right one up for me. You also save a bit not buying them from the dealer.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Also try this place www.clipsandfasteners.com

I was able to find every fastener and clip I needed on the last mod where the dealer had a tough time matching the right one up for me. You also save a bit not buying them from the dealer.
That does look like a good place. They have some dimensions on the parts too!!:tu:
Points!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah same prob here...I have a couple broken clips that need replacing and I even used panel tools. Whatever you do, do not use metal trim removal tools. I use this nylon set and its great:

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

-Wes
I used a good pair of nylon ones and still broke a few of them. Guess I don't know my own strength.

I got 4 of the black ones and 6 white ones for 9 bucks at the stealership. Call Sparks when in doubt! Them boys are good!
I guess had I known how to remove the black ones, I would not have had to break them. There appears to be no other way than to just bust them out. When I get the new ones, I can then see how they actually work and hopefully won't have to bust them out when I upgrade the speakers.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I used a good pair of nylon ones and still broke a few of them. Guess I don't know my own strength.

I guess had I known how to remove the black ones, I would not have had to break them. There appears to be no other way than to just bust them out. When I get the new ones, I can then see how they actually work and hopefully won't have to bust them out when I upgrade the speakers.

Thanks for the help!
Ok, if you want a good selection of automotive tools, especially nylon tools, go to here:
Auto Body Tools, Automotive Shop Equipment, Body Shop Tools, Air Tools, Auto Repair Tools & Tool Storage Organizers - Handsontools.com

I got these and they have been very well-made tools:

Bojo "Ultra Strong" General Wedge Tool Kit

Bojo "Ultra Strong" General Pry Tool Kit

Bojo "Medium Duty" Master Installer Tool Kit

SIR Tools ST9029 Pry Tool Kit, 6 Piece

HandsOnTools also threw in some free, sample nylon tools as part of the order. :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
That does look like a good place. They have some dimensions on the parts too!!:tu:
Points!
Yeah, that website is quick and easy to navigate with nice, big, close-up photos of the parts, and the dimensions are right there on the same page with the OEM cross-reference part numbers if you want to run over to the dealer and get it locally. www.clipsandfasteners.com is my first choice for hard to find fasteners.

Thanks for the points!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, that website is quick and easy to navigate with nice, big, close-up photos of the parts, and the dimensions are right there on the same page with the OEM cross-reference part numbers if you want to run over to the dealer and get it locally. www.clipsandfasteners.com is my first choice for hard to find fasteners.

Thanks for the points!
Site bookmarked. Still not sure I can find the right retaining clip that goes in the upper door, but will pull one of the non-broken ones out and see if I can match it up. Thanks for the heads up on that! Great website.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SIR Tools ST9029 Pry Tool Kit, 6 Piece

HandsOnTools also threw in some free, sample nylon tools as part of the order. :D
In fact, this is the tool set that I used. This is my first time pulling doors off and such. Now that I have done it, I think I can do it a bit easier without breaking things. I was thinking you had the impression that the tools broke. The tools were fine, the operator of the tools broke a couple of the clips and fasteners...:unsure3d::rolleyes:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts