Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having an issue getting my truck to start. I started a thread last week and the consensus was, due to the clicking I am getting when I am trying to start it, it is probably the contacts going out.

Where can I get these contacts, though? I have called two Toyota Dealers and they both tell me they need the EXACT part number. They don't just have a part called the "Starter Contact" part.

As an aside, I can buy a brand new starter from Carson for $300. Wonder if I should just drop the cash on it and have the whole damn things replaced. Would hate for the starter to crap out down the road and have to pay a mechanic to go all the way back into the engine to get to it...

Rodman

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Best way to always get the correct part from the Dealeareship is talk to a Parts tech that knows his job, not always the easiest thing to do? But they do have them and they will need your VIN# normallyy to get any part with 100% accuracy if they know the system they are using! The proper part number cann be found in numerous places if you know where to look!
ToyoDIY.com
enter your information above and you should find the correct parts and prices are no good here only use this as a referrence and make sure the Toyota Parts Tech confirms your part numbers as being correct for your vehicle/VIN#!
I have yet to find too many cheap Toyota replacement parts and good luck with your repair!
Link below is to FSM Download for the 2000-2003 Tundra!
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the problem, the dealership won't give me a part number for the contacts. They tell me that there are different contacts for every truck and they want to see the old ones so they can match them up for the new ones.

I think it is a load of crap.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Done there, been that, bro.
There are indeed 2, if not 3 different styles/shapes of contacts for the 2000, depending, I guess, on the particular starter you've got in there. When I was ready to replace mine last fall, my parts dealer sold me a pair of each style and told me I could return the ones I didn't need, which worked out just fine. If you can't find a dealer that will accept parts on return, you either got to pull the starter first, like they apparently want you to, or replace the entire starter-- not necessarily a bad idea if you want to go that route. If you go ahead and pull the starter, check the condition of the plunger, as well. It is also a wear item.
Good luck.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went ahead and just bought a new starter. I didn't feel like playing the return game with different sets of contacts

There are two starters for my truck. A 1.4 kw and a 2.0 kw. I went ahead and sprung for the 2.0 kw. Hopefully this will be ok. I have no way of figuring out which exact one I need since it has to be pulled first.

Rodman

Done there, been that, bro.
There are indeed 2, if not 3 different styles/shapes of contacts for the 2000, depending, I guess, on the particular starter you've got in there. When I was ready to replace mine last fall, my parts dealer sold me a pair of each style and told me I could return the ones I didn't need, which worked out just fine. If you can't find a dealer that will accept parts on return, you either got to pull the starter first, like they apparently want you to, or replace the entire starter-- not necessarily a bad idea if you want to go that route. If you go ahead and pull the starter, check the condition of the plunger, as well. It is also a wear item.
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
I've had to replace the contacts on other Toyota trucks in the past and they lasted for years after. Replacing the whole starter is very likely a waste of money as the contacts are cheap and easy to install once the starter is out. Buy both sets of contacts if you are that stubborn, it will be a lot less than a starter.

Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts