Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I order a toytec 3' kit the other day and now I want to through on some 35's x 12.5 I read somewhere on here that a guy had 35x11.6 so I'm thinking if I get some spacers in there it should handle the 12.5's no problem what do you guys think? I've never lifted a truck before so I'm kinda new but want to learn. anyone know where to find some spacers? what size would I need?

·
Registered
440 Posts
What 35x12.5 tires are you getting? Not all tire brands measure out to the same size, and if you're lifted 3 inches and you put them on strock rims it should be ok, there was a pic a while ago w a revtek lifted truck with bfg MTs 35x12.5 on trd rims w no spacers.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm pretty sure he had riged up some spacers in there. I'm not positive but if my memory is correct he did have spacers. but he riged them himself

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
they dont seem to have them for te 5 x 150mm pattern. anyone know anywhere that has spacers for the new tundras?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Don't forget wheelspacers are illegal for a reason...they're dangerous. Also, you're shifting the truck load on your wheel bearings to a poisiton they bearings weren't designed to carry weight on. I would imagine it'll void your warranty as far as steering, etc. too. But, to each their own, so go for it.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
never knew they were illegal, but good points. maybe I'll wait fr new rims.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
never knew they were illegal, but good points. maybe I'll wait fr new rims.
Ya, and with insurance companies taking any and every opportunity to get out of paying a claim, having an illegal component on your drivetrain might (in a long shot) have them reject your claim should you cause an accident and the cause of it being related to your drivetrain. Longshot I suppose, but it's not worth it to me.

·
Tire Roasting Member
927 Posts
I don't know about all this insurance stuff. I could see them voiding a warranty though...

Try spidertrax spacers also, I'm not sure if they sell a 5x150 but its worth a shot...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Don't forget wheelspacers are illegal for a reason...they're dangerous. Also, you're shifting the truck load on your wheel bearings to a poisiton they bearings weren't designed to carry weight on.
I was thinking about this the other day. Obviously the trucks arent designed for it, but how much additional stress would really be introduced? I have next to no experience with them, anyone heard of failures or general industry thoughts on their use?

I want to keep my rims, but I'd like them to stick out more and fill up the tire well and fender flares more.

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
Wheel adapters are not illegal. I don't personally know if spacers are illegal or not but don't use them, get an adapter.

Adapters have their own lugs and a set of lug nuts for the stock lugs.

Spacers are just that...blank holes that fit over the lugs, and require longer lugs.

Either way, unless you're doing something downright stupid...like pushing the wheels way, way out...the offset load on the wheel bearings is minimal as long as your new inner sidewall is in about the same place as the stock inner sidewall.

Most of the fabrication shops should be able to make you one, but it might require going there with the vehicle for measurements and test fit.

I've been running adapters in the front of my 1st-gen for several years now, on and offroad. The inner and outer lug nuts need to be checked extremely often at first, then less often...now I check the outer lug nuts regularly as part of routine maintenance but only check the inners during front end maintenance or after hard trail runs.

I have heard of many failures, all due to shearing lugs on the hub or the adapter. This is NOT an install and forget modification, you MUST check the outer lug nuts REGULARLY since it will take time for the lugs to seat, and the inners must be checked as well in case your stock lugs are not fully seated.

In addition to failures, there are many rock crawlers, desert trucks and daily drivers which have been safely running adapters for years. What you get from them is entirely dependent on how you look after them.

-Sean

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
great thanks thats the kind of information I have been looking for. I've never used or seen any one use either spacers or adapters. but what I'm after is not a spacer but an adapter. I dont want to bring it out too far just far enough to allow for a 12.5" tire. is there a place that you know of that makes coustom adapters or has adapters for the 5 x 150mm pattern?

·
Premium Member
13,116 Posts
great thanks thats the kind of information I have been looking for. I've never used or seen any one use either spacers or adapters. but what I'm after is not a spacer but an adapter. I dont want to bring it out too far just far enough to allow for a 12.5" tire. is there a place that you know of that makes custom adapters or has adapters for the 5 x 150mm pattern?
WheelAdapter.com - Wheel Spacers, Wheel Adapters, Used Wheels

I have about 3000 miles (so far) on mine and have had no problems. Spend a little extra and get the hub-centric versions. They can make anything you want.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Question? recently put thornbird tires?american racing rims/ 33X11.5X16/ 03 tundra 5 inch lift/ i want to keep tires but was told that the $2,300 DAMAGE was from tires...i may have had a prior bad bearing. now what? adapter yes/no? completely destroyed spindle/hub/ect......

1 - 15 of 15 Posts