Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to put a brake controller in a 2014 Sequoia. The grossly large console limits the available space under the dash to mount it. The steep angle of the dash means I cannot mount it on the lower part of the dash. The placement of the air bag takes up all the horizontal surface below the dash on which I might otherwise mount it. Has anyone mounted on in this model vehicle, and where did you put it?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I put mine in the centre underneath the heater controls, there is that tiny cubby between the cig lighters. That piece pulls out easy, drilled a small hole for wires, and bracket, and is a perfect spot. Doesn't get in the way, don't kick it or knee it, and very visible.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
494 Posts
^ Like he said.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I put mine in the centre underneath the heater controls, there is that tiny cubby between the cig lighters. That piece pulls out easy, drilled a small hole for wires, and bracket, and is a perfect spot. Doesn't get in the way, don't kick it or knee it, and very visible.

I see the tiny cubby between the cig lighters, below the heater controls, and right in front of the drink holder. Mine doesn't appear to be made to pull out, though, unless I'm looking at it wrong, which I could be.

·
Registered
86 Posts

I'm using the 32" and it's too short. Is there a plug and play extension or should I buy another $10 harness and splice them together?

Tekonsha Plug-In Wiring Adapter for Electric Brake Controllers - Toyota and Lexus
Item # 3040-P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
494 Posts
I'm using the 32" and it's too short. Is there a plug and play extension or should I buy another $10 harness and splice them together?
Seems to me you could cut your harness in half and splice it back together with wires of appropriate length and gauge. Maybe stagger the cuts so the butt connectors are not all in one place.

·
Registered
86 Posts
That outlined area is what will pop out. I put my hands inside the storage and in the power outlets and pull straight out. It was in there tight. I didn't need to use any tools.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have my P2 mounted near vertical on the right lower side, basically in front of my right knee.

The Prodigy P2 and P3 are the only brake controllers I am aware of that allow near 360 degree mounting.

What I required, was quick access to the manual brake level. I dont get that in the cubby.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had ordered a P3 which arrived today, along with the Toyota wiring adapter. Surprisingly, though, it also had a separate ground wire from the P3 connector that I will have to locate something to which to ground. I see a couple of bolts which hopefully are on enough metal to work. Oddly my previous controller didn't have that.

I expected to mount the P3 exactly in the same spot you show, but I have an airbag under the steering wheel that it would partially block. Therefore I am going to have to slide it to the right quite a bit, and thus also up quite a bit to avoid blocking the reset switch for the tire pressure system. That should work I guess, if there's nothing behind it when I drill the holes. Or, I could put it on the left, but I like the right better.

The P3 came with two different mounting brackets. Interesting. I suppose the newer style is to facilitate changing it between tow vehicles. Since I have only one tow vehicle I don't know that there's an advantage to either type.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I took a look at putting it there. A handy use of an otherwise vacant spot other than a drink in the drink holder blocking it, and a bit far away to see and reach easily. I still might when I install it tomorrow though. I assume you had to splice some wire into the adapter so it would reach the plug behind the kick panel?

·
Registered
31 Posts

Never bumped into it with my knee. Easy to reach for adjustments and manual brake lever.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the photo. I mounted it lower a day or two ago because I hate to drill holes where they'll show when I pull something out, and I wasn't totally convinced of the best place to put it. Also the steering wheel got a bit in the way of seeing it clearly. But I can't reach the manual brake lever easily and it is now, and it's too far away. I think I'm convinced to move it up to where your photo shows, and I'll do it soon. I originally mounted it with the pop-out style mount that came with it, but I think I'll just remount it with the more traditional style mount since I never expect to use it in a different tow vehicle anyway.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi All!

This query is specific to my '10 Tundra, but looks like it would be applicable to the Sequoia as well.

The controller in my truck is mounted in the "ashtray" spot as described above; I too find it awkward to reach for on-the-go adjustments.

Has anyone tried to put the brake controller in this otherwise fairly useless cubby hole? (Borrowed yer foto, BoraBill!) It seems like I may have seen a picture of a factory EBC, and it was mounted there.

How much trouble to get that part of the dash loose, anyone know?

TIA! Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi All!

This query is specific to my '10 Tundra, but looks like it would be applicable to the Sequoia as well.

The controller in my truck is mounted in the "ashtray" spot as described above; I too find it awkward to reach for on-the-go adjustments.

Has anyone tried to put the brake controller in this otherwise fairly useless cubby hole? (Borrowed yer foto, BoraBill!) It seems like I may have seen a picture of a factory EBC, and it was mounted there.

How much trouble to get that part of the dash loose, anyone know?

TIA! Steve

Haha, NP. My wife’s knee is making the rounds on the internet! I have towed 6 trips since July and having it where I have it has been really nice for on the go adjustments, in which I do. I toggle between boost off, 1 and 2 and the power based on my cargo and freshwater fill.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts