Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 07' Tundra and I was thinking about mounting the brake controller in the pocket next to the cigerette lighter, but I don't know how to remove it from the dash. Would anyone know how or what a better location might be? Thanks, Cary

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have a new 07' Tundra and I was thinking about mounting the brake controller in the pocket next to the cigerette lighter, but I don't know how to remove it from the dash. Would anyone know how or what a better location might be? Thanks, Cary
I put my Prodigy right above the gas pedal on the dash shrouding. I can reach it easily without banging my knee on it. I thought about that little pocket too. That would be perfect. I just couldn't figgure out how to get at it and I wasn't brave enough to start popping off panels.

Bill

·
Registered
87 Posts
For Tundra with bucket seats see:

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/towing/88587-brake-controller-placement-in-2007-a/#post600875

For Tundra with bench seats see the attached photo.
Didn't have time to check every post, but someone said that the pocket next to the lighter and power source can be removed by using two sockets as grab points and pull. It's held in with four snappy thingies. I did it the hard way ... removed the entire glovebox and pushed it out.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I put mine in place of the ashtray. Pull out ashtray. Remove 2 screws hold the ashtry side in. Drill 2 holes in the Prodidy plastic retainer and mount that back where the ashtray slide was using the same screws. Nice and level and out of the way.

·
Registered
764 Posts
On bech-seat '07 Tundras it's not a matter of just popping the sub-panel out.

In the bench-seat model you have to remove the following to get to the 12v/lighter/ash-tray console (my own words here so bare with me):

A. Pop off the driver's side door threashold (straight up motion only; no side-to-side or twisting).

B. Remove driver's side lower kick panel by unscrewing big plastic nut by hand and pulling aft/inboard.

C. Pop off driver's side dash end (flat part facing door) prying cabin edge out and pivoting around leading edge (gains access to hood release).

D. Remove hood release handle by unclipping white plastic handle structure from lower driver's side panel, sliding assembly toward inside while depressing center clip release from hole exposed by dash end cover removal. After this disconnect the cable from handle assembly.

E. Remove the lower driver's side panel by first removing two the two lower bolts (10mm socket). Then pop off panel and disconnect all wire connectors and twist-turn release the small cabin light socket near the tire-pressure reset switch. Panel should be free after disconnecting all wire leads.

F. (Bench Seat Models Only) Remove lower center console cover (big square fairing that wraps around the center hump at carpet level). There are two plastic rivets, one on each side with a plastic threaded screw in the center for back-out release with a phillips screwdriver.

G. (Bench Seat Models Only) You've made it to the 12v/lighter sub panel now. Remove the ash tray. There are two screws holding the sub panel that have to be removed before popping panel out. One is on the lower left side down low on the panel and the other is in the center of the ash tray well. After removing these two screws you should be able to pop out the sub panel. Watch for the ashtray illumination light; it has to be twist-turn released from the metal ash tray track assembly. Also the lighter and 12v accy sockets each have a connector.

Follow the sequence in reverse to re-assemble.

P.S. always wrap your pry-tool/flat screwdriver with a piece of electrical tape before prying on panels to prevent scratches.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It worked like a charm. I removed the housing that contains the Aux. outlet and the cig. lighter with the 2"X4" storage pocket between themL like you said, I put my thumb in each socket (one at a time) and pulled out the housing, first the right side then the left and out it came. I disconnected the wiring harnesses from the accesorries and was able to take it to my workbench. I mounted the brake controller's under-dash bracket (the type that the conrtroller slides and snaps into) and drilled a 1/2 inch hole in the back of the pocket for the controller's wiring harness. Slipped the wires through the hole, and snaked it through the dash towards the truck's brake controller connector (behind the driver side kick panel). Then I reconnected the accesorries' connectors. And then t was just a matter of snapping the housing back into the dash and hooking up the wiring harness to the brake controller and snapping it into its' bracket. It's a perfect fit and looks great. Thanks again to everyone for the advice. Cary

1 - 8 of 8 Posts