Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Veteran Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing some lighted running boards on my '08 Tundra CrewMax and was wondering if anybody knows a good spot to tap into the courtesy lamps. Is there a connection behind the drivers side kick panel or center pillar panel?
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ken

·
Veteran Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Man, this is a tricky one. I pulled the front and rear dome lamps in an attempt to check voltage/ground. I found a couple of wires that had 12v+ constantly (in the rear dome lamp they were PINK and GRAY), and another that had GROUND constantly. I tried arming/disarming the alarm and checked the different pins expecting to see one pin drop voltage as the timer turned off the lamps. No luck. If anyone knows where I can tap into the wires that are controlled by the light timer I would GREATLY appreciate input.
Thanks,
Ken

·
Veteran Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is a great thread!
OK, seriously, I spent the morning digging around under the dash and figured it out (in case there is anyone else out there that may do this mod in the future).
There is a small foot lamp under the driver's side console below the steering column that illuminates when a door is opened or the doors ar unlocked using the keyless entry. The lamp has 12v+ at all time (LT BLUE wire) and illumnates when the other pin is gounded (ORANGE wire). So on the Westin Running Boards that I installed, the RED wire was run to a constant 12v+ (I found a large blue wire that fit the bill in the junction block behind the driver's side kick panel) and the BLACK wire was tied to the wire from the lamp that grounds to illuminate (the ORANGE wire on the lamp).
I hope this info helps someone out there...

Ken

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
I was going suggest exactly that! Sorry if I had saw your post earlier I would have posted it.
Good luck

·
Veteran Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was going suggest exactly that! Sorry if I had saw your post earlier I would have posted it.
Good luck
No worries PowerHogger, I should have thought of this method earlier. The only change that I wish that I could make would be to have the running board lights function only at night. I could probably do that with a relay, but am not sure it is worth the effort.
Thanks,
Ken

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Run at night only? That may be hard to do. But you could wire one of those thingys that detect sunlight and stick it somewhere on your dash. It will act like a switch so when sunlight hits it, no lights. Just wire it some where in your current wiring and it should work. Maybe you could find the sensor on ebay or something.
Would be awesome actually... You got any pics of your current set up?

·
Veteran Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought about the light sensor too. That would be easy enough to install in line. I may have to research that a little.
Haven't posted any pics to my album yet, even though I have done a bunch of mods. I will probably post some soon though.
Ken

·
Veteran Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Powerhogger, I checked out eBay and found a TON of vehicle light sensors. I ordered two different ones (they were really cheap). One is for a Nissan Altima and the other is from a Chevy Blazer (also fits Sierra, Tahoe, Escelade, blah blah blah).
Anyway, I am kind of looking forward to giving this a try. Will let you know how it works and will post pics. Thanks for the idea.
Ken

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
No problems! Can't wait for your pictures.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts