Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The owners manual shows a fuse box below the dash on the driver's side but I can't find it ('07 Double Cab, Limited, 5.7L 4X4). Surely you don't have to pull the dash to get to the fuses. The fuse box under the hood doesn't have the fuses for the interior stuff.

The real reason I want to get to the fuse box is to figure out if I can get the 12-volt outlets to switch off with the key. I can see how it would be handy to have 12-volt power with the key off but I prefer for the radar detector and Garmin GPS to turn themselves on and off.

I guess I can get a splitter for the cigar lighter but it would look cleaner to plug one each into the outlets in the dash.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
you could re wire behind the outlet. you would have to probably change the fuse depending on the amp draw, but its easier than playing with the fusebox.

another way to do this... and if you are a little tech savy you will know what i mean...

Snip the ground wire on the outlets you want off, and use a double pole relay to turn the ground on...when the relay sees 12 volts from the switched one. this is the safest way, not needing to change any fuses or do much wiring.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
OK now that you are saying what?!?!?

here is a diagram sort of.

1. To trunk release- this goes to the cut ground wire. (plug side)
2. 12v fused (ignore the amps) - this goes to the 12 volt power on the ignition controlled outlet.
3. - ground if trunk....- this goes to chassis ground(or chassis side of wire cut)
4. your neg output. also can hook to #3 or ground seperatly.

What this does is when the relay sees 12volts (in this case from the ignition controlled outlet), it connects the green and the blue in the pic. When they are connected it completes the ground and bingo.. power. when the ignition is off, the switch turns off.

simple relay :) and safe.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I did find the fuse box, by the way. I didn't know I'd have to stand on my head.

I was hoping to avoid taking the dash apart since this is really just a nuisance issue for me. I heard that some vehicles had jumpers or multiple position fuse options for the power outlet to change from always on to switched. I thought it would be worth taking a look but no such luck.

I was thinking I could pull the fuse for the always on outlets and run jumpers to the cigar lighter fuse. I don't think the amps would be a problem for these two devices.

Of course, I know just enough to be dangerous. I should probably leave this stuff to the professionals. I don't want to screw up my new truck.

Thank You!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Thanks. I did find the fuse box, by the way. I didn't know I'd have to stand on my head.

I was hoping to avoid taking the dash apart since this is really just a nuisance issue for me. I heard that some vehicles had jumpers or multiple position fuse options for the power outlet to change from always on to switched. I thought it would be worth taking a look but no such luck.

I was thinking I could pull the fuse for the always on outlets and run jumpers to the cigar lighter fuse. I don't think the amps would be a problem for these two devices.

Of course, I know just enough to be dangerous. I should probably leave this stuff to the professionals. I don't want to screw up my new truck.

Thank You!
that relay is very safe and easy. i would invest the 5$ in parts for the install and go to town :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I just found the simplest solution. I found a 12-volt splitter with a 30" cord. That way I can plug one plug into the switched cigar lighter outlet and hide the splitter and the other wires under the dash. $15 to save me sweating and cussing, trying to figure out how to get the dash apart.

Thanks again for your suggestion. I think I'll try the lazy way out on this one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts