Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
--Hi, all. I am thinking about using Amsoil (and their filter) from now on in my '06 Tundra (V8), but when I went to the Amsoil website, I found two different 5W-30 engine oil types. Which one should I use? The 5W-30 that reads "ASL-SAE" or "XLF-XL". My gut tells me the "ASL-SAE", as that just looks familiar, haha. Thought I had better check here first, though. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Either one will work, but the ASL is the PAO-based "real" synthetic. The XL is the refined hydrocracked conventional oil, equivalent to Pennzoil Platinum or Valvoline Synpower or Castrol Syntec.

·
Super Moderator
1,772 Posts
Choose the 3000 series 5w-30 Heavy Duty Diesel (for gasoline engines too)

Or for MPG gains Series 2000 0W-30 :Handles higher stress ACEA A5/B5 (like mobil1)

I've ran both. In Hot(112) and Cold (-20)Temperatures,(Eastern Washington ). Engine ran smoother with both over standard oil (up to 12,000 miles). Lots of Revving High RPM turning in the mountains and Eastern Washintgon. Plus 90-100 mph for 20-30 mins at a time. Lots of straight aways.

Since then have gone to Mobil1 5w-30 Extended Performance, < IMO better
Amsoil's New oil filters are great though for filtering

Put their gear oils in your truck. But I say Mobil 1 Extended is what the engine wants. Mobil 1 after 12000 miles is almost golden color still and viscous. The amsoil was always black/dark color after changing with less miles, and probably staining internal parts.

I got into the amsoil hype 5 years ago. I would rather have facts. Good products but I just like my Mobil1 now and the engine does too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts