Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I’ve read several posts about horns and I know I’d like to upgrade, but I do not understand something about installation. I will admit here and now that I am “electrically challenged” :unsure:.
I want a simple upgrade of a much louder horn that I can use w/ my existing horn button on the steering wheel. Some folks have mentioned adding an additional button on the dash which I would rather not do. Many posts mention the addition of a relay, and I’m not sure if, or why, or where this would go (before the horn button or after?). Can anyone point me in the direction of a simple plug & play louder horn?
Your help is appreciated, stevebaum
P.S., I have no problem w/ fabrication of a bracket, etc. if that is required.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry, I forgot to add I have an '03 Tundra AC w/ V8 & 2WD.

· Registered
4,496 Posts
Do a search for Stebel truck horn. There are pics of installs. It is basic wiring. Basically you use your current horn wire run to the relay, then run a wire from the battery to the relay, the ground, then horn. It is pretty simple. I just upgraded my gen-2 Tundra and it was no problem. The Stebel is loud, but some people use an air compressor, tank, and real air horns. Not to sure about those installs. Good Luck:D

· Registered
184 Posts
I was having problems with my low note horn freezing in cold weather and not working. I replaced it with a FIAMM Freeway Blaster (low tone horn) that I had purchased at Adavance Auto Parts.

It is louder than the stock horn but obviously not like an air horn...good news though...it's super easy to install. Just unplug the connector and take off the stock horn. Bolt on the new horn to the included bracket, plug the stock connector to the new horn (just slide it onto the male connector) and then bolt on the new ground wire (included in package) and mount it to the radiator support. Done. Cheap, simple and takes 10 minutes.

· Registered
1,747 Posts
OK, so I’ve read several posts about horns and I know I’d like to upgrade, but I do not understand something about installation. I will admit here and now that I am “electrically challenged” :unsure:.
I want a simple upgrade of a much louder horn that I can use w/ my existing horn button on the steering wheel. Some folks have mentioned adding an additional button on the dash which I would rather not do. Many posts mention the addition of a relay, and I’m not sure if, or why, or where this would go (before the horn button or after?). Can anyone point me in the direction of a simple plug & play louder horn?
Seems like the way to go, from reading others experience, is the steibel. A relay is not a big deal. The little wire going to the stock horns is not meant to carry a lot of current. So you tap into that line and it controls a relay. The relay is connected direct to your battery, so when you press the horn, the control signal(your stock horn wire) tells the relay to close, and the voltage/current sent to the horn comes from the battery directly. Of course, in doing this, you will also want to add an in line fuse(between the battery and the relay) in case something shorts.
/Mike

· Premium Member
25 Posts
I installed Stebel TM80 Magnum twins :tu:(High & Low 139db & 115db) and used the stock wire and plug didn’t need to use the supplied relay just had to make a ground wire for the other terminal very easy. They are loud enough but I should of gotten the Black ones I’ll be painting them soon.:D

I got then from HornsPlus $26.45 delivered .
Here the link HornsPlus Automotive: Air horns for sport cars, motorcycles, boats, and emergency vehicles

Attachments

· Premium Member
1,735 Posts
I installed Stebel TM80 Magnum twins :tu:(High & Low 139db & 115db) and used the stock wire and plug didn’t need to use the supplied relay just had to make a ground wire for the other terminal very easy. They are loud enough but I should of gotten the Black ones I’ll be painting them soon.:D

Here the link HornsPlus Automotive: Air horns for sport cars, motorcycles, boats, and emergency vehicles
How do they compare with the stock horns?

· Premium Member
1,735 Posts
A lot better than the stock, sounds like a truck should sound.
Since my last post I found Stebel's site and listened to a sound clip of the Magnum Combo. Thanks for sharing your upgrade and additional information. This will be my next mod.

· Registered
24 Posts
I installed Stebel TM80 Magnum twins (High & Low 139db & 115db) and used the stock wire and plug didn’t need to use the supplied relay just had to make a ground wire for the other terminal very easy. They are loud enough but I should of gotten the Black ones I’ll be painting them soon.

Is the stock electical system stout enough? Stebel says the horns draw between 3 and 6 amps each at 24 volt. My 2006 has a 10 amp fuse and a pretty dinky Denso relay. Not to mention the wires look like about 22 gauge rather than 16 or 18 gauge that 6 amps should probably have. If you do a long blast, does the wire or relay heat up?

I just ordered a pair for the truck and may get another pair for my wife's SUV. I almost ordered the Stebel Nautilus but lliked the lower tone (and cheaper price) for the Magnum twins.

· Premium Member
25 Posts
Is the stock electical system stout enough? Stebel says the horns draw between 3 and 6 amps each at 24 volt. My 2006 has a 10 amp fuse and a pretty dinky Denso relay. Not to mention the wires look like about 22 gauge rather than 16 or 18 gauge that 6 amps should probably have. If you do a long blast, does the wire or relay heat up?

I just ordered a pair for the truck and may get another pair for my wife's SUV. I almost ordered the Stebel Nautilus but lliked the lower tone (and cheaper price) for the Magnum twins.
I'll try to do that test tomorrow, ran out of time today.

I did go back and look at the instructions (needed a magnifying glass - old guy) and it calls for a 20 amp fuse for the 12 volt application. I'm no Electrician but it seems like over kill to me for a 6 amp draw, I have had no problems with my setup.

Attachments

· Premium Member
25 Posts

baddoglt
I leaned on the horn for 10 seconds and there was no change to the temperature of the positive wire. :D

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone. Now I understand that a relay is just a sort of remote on/off switch that handles the heavier current (Thanks longwoodklon!). I've ordered my horn and plan to keep the two original horns piggybacked on the passenger side and the new Stebel by itself on the drivers side. If all goes well I'll try to post a picture.

· Registered
32,667 Posts
baddoglt
I leaned on the horn for 10 seconds and there was no change to the temperature of the positive wire. :D
It can take longer than 10 seconds for temperature to stabilize on a copper wire, given the degree of insulation surrounding the wire, the mass of copper on either side of the test point, etc. A better test would be to measure the voltage drop from the positive battery terminal to the horn terminal. If the wires in between are too small, you will see the voltage reduce as you move along the wire from the battery to the horn while the horn is sounding.

· Registered
2,058 Posts
If anyone has their stock horns, particularly part 86520-0C030 I don't mind taking it off your hands :becky:

· Registered
2004 Highlander V6 4X4, 2006 Seinna XLE AWD
61 Posts
So all Toyota connectors are just the positive side of the the horn. Any of teh after markets can be just grounded through teh other tab instead on through the mount like the stock one and works fine. Great to know thanks!

· Premium Member
182 Posts
My easy mod to fix the stock horn was to take off the baffles. There is a metal plate on each horn. Just take them off and the decibel level goes up. I've had mine off for years and have had no problems with water or bugs getting in the horns.

· Registered
2004 Highlander V6 4X4, 2006 Seinna XLE AWD
61 Posts
Wow does that really work??? Guess you could just put screen over them, to keep bugs out.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.