Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Metra dash kit for a 2nd gen Tundra and am I stalling a double din hu. Did you use the factory metal brackets and just clip the dash kit on to the dash or did you use the plastic brackets that came with the dash kit? The metal brackets seem sturdier but the plastic brackets look like they have some adjustment built into them.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
the ones i've seen used teh metal ones since they were stronger....but i dont have any first hand experience, just crap ive read and u know what that can be worth...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I sure do. I value the opinions on this forum. For the most part peoe give you honest info and real hand experience. I've read alot about my upcoming stereo install and this forum
has been real helpful.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I used the metal pieces but really, the whole front piece of the kit is plastic so I don't buy into the stronger thing. It did make me feel a little better though.:D

·
Registered
404 Posts
The strength of the metal brackets was superior but I found that the alignment was better using the plastic brackets from Metra. Also, with the metal brackets you are fixed with how far the headunit sits into the dash but with the Metra brackets you can adjust that (in my case, the metal brackets made my h/u stick out a bit too far). The metal brackets worked well for some but they didn't for me.

-Wes

·
Registered
50 Posts
For what it's worth the Scosche mounting kit comes with metal brackets. I used theirs instead of the factory but if the mounting kit ones are plastic I would use the metal ones, no doubt. If they didn't fit I would have modded them before I would use plastic. Personally I don't want that Radio going anywhere but it also seems like an added ground. Shouldn't really need extra grounding but hey, why not.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess I'll try the metal brackets and see how far the hu sticks out

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm using the kit from Crutchfield which I believe is the Metra kit, and I used the plastic brackets. They're holding fine so far. I don't think you really have to worry about them breaking. I couldn't get the Metra trim panel to fit snug, so I'm just not using it. I may not have attached the plastic brackets in exactly the right locations, but it was such a PITA to get everything installed I don't care to try and change anything just so I can use the trim panel.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I'm using the kit from Crutchfield which I believe is the Metra kit, and I used the plastic brackets. They're holding fine so far. I don't think you really have to worry about them breaking. I couldn't get the Metra trim panel to fit snug, so I'm just not using it. I may not have attached the plastic brackets in exactly the right locations, but it was such a PITA to get everything installed I don't care to try and change anything just so I can use the trim panel.
By trim panel, you mean that little plastic trim ring that goes around the headunit right? If so, yeah, that thing is a pain. I actually had to very carefully take some of the thickness off of it with a sanding drum on my Dremel because the face of my headunit was making contact whenever it opened or closed. The headunit could still open but I didn't like it one bit.

-Wes

·
Registered
51 Posts
By trim panel, you mean that little plastic trim ring that goes around the headunit right? If so, yeah, that thing is a pain. I actually had to very carefully take some of the thickness off of it with a sanding drum on my Dremel because the face of my headunit was making contact whenever it opened or closed. The headunit could still open but I didn't like it one bit.

-Wes
Yep that's the part. It looks nicer with it in place, but I couldn't get it to stay, so off it went. I never tried opening my head unit with the trim panel there. It really doesn't bother me that much.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I'm using the factory metal brackets on my '07 with an Alpine HU.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts