Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 Tundra 4x4 with a 6" Fabtech lift and 35" Nitto Mud gripper tires. I get 10 mpg. I was looking at getting a programmer or chip to help reprogram the engine for the tire size and shifting gears. Has anyone had any luck with any specific ones out there?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Wow 10mpg is terrible... I average 16mpg just driving in the city.. Although you have some decent sized tires and a lift...

·
Premium Member
5,473 Posts
NONE of the chip programmers will work to improve gas mileage. Perhaps you should have considered gas mileage before you installed the lift and oversize tires??

·
Registered
51 Posts
Probably a stupid question, but why does a lift impact mpg? More air resistance?

·
Premium Member
5,473 Posts
Yup, more air goes under the truck and that reduces mileage.
The faster you go, the more difference it makes.
Sooo ...... the bigger tires reduce mileage under acceleration and the lift reduces mileage at speed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The Hypertech will allow better mieage. Up to 15 %. You can google comparison tests and find several programmers will allow better MPG settings. If you call customer service with Autoanything they can give you tips too.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I didn't think Hypertech made anything for the Tundra other than the speedo calibrator... If you don't already have one, it will adjust your speedo so your mileage is correct on the odometer. Then your MPG calculations might look better.

·
Just a Herbicidal maniac.
2,172 Posts
I didn't think Hypertech made anything for the Tundra other than the speedo calibrator... If you don't already have one, it will adjust your speedo so your mileage is correct on the odometer. Then your MPG calculations might look better.
And I think the shift points too.

Vhoude - you should be able to find the basic model for @ $170. I bought one after upsizing my tires and now the speedo is spot on and I can recalibrate again when I get a set of 4.88 gears. Regearing is something you should think about to get your low end torque back. Here's a link to get you started: Toyota Tundra Hypertech Speedometer Calibrator - Inline by Hypertech. BTW, the software that comes with the harness/controller required Windows XP to operate the interface. Not sure if Hypertech has updated it to run on a later version of Windows. Probably worth a phone call to find out. I still happen to have an old laptop running XP so no issue for me.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Any time you lengthen the ‘torque (or lever) arm,’ which is exactly what you do when you install taller tires, you increase the power necessary to turn that tire to get you moving down the road.
The lever arm is the perpendicular distance from the axis of rotation to the line of action of the force, and since torque scales linearly with the distance(radius) away, doubling the distance doubles the torque required for the same acceleration rate.
An analogy (not really a very good one, but easy to demonstrate) is that it’s harder to push a door closed the closer to the hinge you get, or the wider the door is. Or perhaps a better one might be increasing the size of the crankshaft pulley. The engine now has to work harder to turn all those other pulleys because of the longer lever arm of that new pulley. That's why we can improve performance by decreasing the diameter of the driving pulley (crankshaft), and increasing the diameter of the driven pulleys.
Increased tire weight has less an affect on fuel mileage than does the increased tire diameter.

Steve

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Your gas mileage isn't really that horrible. Because the bigger tires make fewer turns per mile, your odometer isn't recording all the miles you travel.

Your gas mileage is still horrible because those tires have very high rolling resistance, because the truck is jacked up into the air flow, and because the effective higher gearing caused by the big tires puts more load on the engine and causes the transmission to downshift more often.

Even if there was a programmer that would save gas, it is highly unlikely that it would ever save enough to even pay for itself, much less save gas beyond that to start keeping money in your pocket.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any thought between the hypertech and unichip? I am looking to firm up the shifts in transmission. Unichip says there's won't will hypertech do this? Big difference in money and I thought I read on here where people were have trouble with hypertech and the service and tech support?? Also if one verces the other is better for performance and mileage? I pull a boat and once in awhile an enclosed trailer, and just got this truck. Any help would be appreciated. Trying the cold air kit mass air sensor and duall exhaust and would like to try, probably one of these programmers??Ed

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello vhoude,
I have good news for you. I have a 2008 4x4, and was getting 11.5 mpg (it all depends on your driving habits) I also wanted to improve. A chip from "Gforce" in Irvine, CA worked perfectly. Now I gained two thinks. Better mileage and more horspower, meaning 13 mpg and about 30hp - from 380 to 410. These figures are in-town driving, 10 to 15 miles short trips. On the hwy I don't know yet. The address is: http://www.gfchips.com/ hope this will work for you.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Hello vhoude,
I have good news for you. I have a 2008 4x4, and was getting 11.5 mpg (it all depends on your driving habits) I also wanted to improve. A chip from "Gforce" in Irvine, CA worked perfectly. Now I gained two thinks. Better mileage and more horspower, meaning 13 mpg and about 30hp - from 380 to 410. These figures are in-town driving, 10 to 15 miles short trips. On the hwy I don't know yet. The address is: http://www.gfchips.com/ hope this will work for you.
If this is the same product you are referring to it just sounds like another scam. Look at the reviews in the link:

http://www.performancechips.com/g-force-performance-chip-reviews.php

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
315 Posts
Better mileage and more horspower, meaning 13 mpg and about 30hp - from 380 to 410.
I have a chip I make in my garage that is guaranteed to give you 30 mpg and about 100 hp - up from 380 to 480. It uses a series of wires and magnets that go into a complicated box with a sticker on it. This box when plugged in aligns fuel molecules and creates a vortex in the intake that acts like a tornado swirling the air for better fuel atomization. It also cools the air charge by swirling the air making a denser air charge. The aligned fuel atoms create a more linear flow into the injectors and this in turn creates a more combustible fuel. There is absolutely ZERO reason to EVER buy a supercharger when you can just plug one of my chips into the cigarette lighter and gain more horsepower and better fuel economy.

My chip is only 500$
If you are unhappy for any reason I return it for a full refund, less shipping and handling, so you dont have anything to loose.

~JH

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sounds sketchy as hell. Im not saying it dosnt work..You have to admit it seems shady

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Hello vhoude,
I noticed fredzim didn't provide a dyno sheet to substantiate his claims of increased power.
So someone would actually pay $70 for a resistor?
Here's a quote from the web site:
"EASY INSTALLATION. Installation can be performed by anyone using simple hand tools. The GF module installs into your TOYOTA TUNDRA's engine bay and is connected via 2 wires that plug into the IAT sensor."

So this device's sole function is to tell the ECU that the air temp is lower than it actually is (sound familiar?), so more fuel will be delivered to the engine. It's an old trick that's been around for a long time.
We can do this much cheaper....

Steve

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a chip I make in my garage that is guaranteed to give you 30 mpg and about 100 hp - up from 380 to 480. It uses a series of wires and magnets that go into a complicated box with a sticker on it. This box when plugged in aligns fuel molecules and creates a vortex in the intake that acts like a tornado swirling the air for better fuel atomization. It also cools the air charge by swirling the air making a denser air charge. The aligned fuel atoms create a more linear flow into the injectors and this in turn creates a more combustible fuel. There is absolutely ZERO reason to EVER buy a supercharger when you can just plug one of my chips into the cigarette lighter and gain more horsepower and better fuel economy.

My chip is only 500$
If you are unhappy for any reason I return it for a full refund, less shipping and handling, so you dont have anything to loose.

~JH
Jonny, where do I find more info about your chip and how andor where I can buy one?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts