Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I were to get the V-LED turn signals and taillight bulbs which of these taillights would allow the LED Bulbs to give off the most light?

Stock 00-04 taillights

00-04 with clear turn signal

Stock 05-06 Taillights

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
I would say all about the same. As an aside, the LED bulbs will roughly match the stock incandescent bulb for brightness, or maybe just a bit better. Don't expect them to be 3x brighter. Just FYI.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would say all about the same. As an aside, the LED bulbs will roughly match the stock incandescent bulb for brightness, or maybe just a bit better. Don't expect them to be 3x brighter. Just FYI.
I saw a video of V-LED's in a tacomas taillights and it was 3X brighter.

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
Freeze the second video at 58 seconds. The incandescent bulb is on the passenger's side. 3X brighter?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Freeze the second video at 58 seconds. The incandescent bulb is on the passenger's side. 3X brighter?
I already noticed that. I dont get it though. When they show it shining at the garage it looks brighter and earlier in the video when they show the camera go up close to both taillights the LED looks brighter.

·
Premium Member
2,829 Posts
LED light is more directional, where incandescent bulbs light goes everywhere. So incandescent = same light almost everywhere.

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
I already noticed that. I dont get it though. When they show it shining at the garage it looks brighter and earlier in the video when they show the camera go up close to both taillights the LED looks brighter.
That is because of the automatic gain control in the camera. It will adjust its sensitivity to avoid blinding the viewer when aimed at brighter sources. Strictly speaking the comparison has to be apples to apples, which would be best done having the camera aimed simultaneously at both bulbs and an equal angle and distance. They do not do this at any time during the video, but 58 seconds is the only thing close :biggrin1:.

Just to be clear, I am not dogging the LEDs. My truck is filled with them and I would buy them all over again :first:. Just wanted to point out their relative performance versus incandescents in terms of absolute light output. As long as they match them or beat them by a bit, that is all you need anyway :D. Plus you get the awesome transient response in the LED flash, and they take a fraction of the current. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts