Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post here - I am ready to pull the trigger on a new Tundra and have been reading all previous posts regarding the 4.6 vs 5.7

I have driven both and while the 5.7 is certainly fun, I would be fine with the 4.6 as it is no dog either.

Here is where I am undecided. We are looking at buying a 20-22ft pontoon this summer. Pontoons are not that heavy (maybe 4000lbs) for boat,motor, & trailer. But they are big & bulky and catch a lot of wind going down the road. Weight wise I think the 4.6 would be fine but what about real world towing such a bulky object? I have no experience towing a pontoon so I just don't know what to expect.

I have a deal worked out for a 4.6 DC 4x4 and can take delivery next week but I need to let them know tomorrow before someone else picks it up. The dealer will not have what I want in a 5.7 until middle of May so I would run the risk of losing the current incentives.

Any thoughts/opinions will be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
92 Posts
Go for the 5.7, you will not regret it. As for the incentive ...... incentives sell cars ....... stop the incentive and sales will stop ...... incentives will continue! Bet on it. :tu:

·
Registered
819 Posts
I would go 5.7 also. If you buy the 4.6 you will be I should have bought the 5.7 or what if I bought the 5.7. The MPG's are not that different.

·
Registered
750 Posts
A good rule of thumb to go by is that at speeds above 55-60mph the wind resistance of a vehicle and a trailer will require more power to push through the air than is being used to overcome rolling resistance/weight. So you need to ask yourself how far will you be towing, what kind of terrain you will be towing over, and at what speeds do you wish to tow at?

Understand that both engines will be able to tow your boat at highway speeds and up hills and such. The difference is that one of them (5.7L) will be able to hold taller gears longer on grades, or in heavier winds and most likely net you better towing fuel economy because of this. Of course the 5.7L will also get the load up to speed faster since it makes quite a bit more power. All of this will be appreciated by you the more often you tow, and the longer you tow your boat.

On the other hand if all you are doing is towing the boat 20 miles or so down to the nearest lake once or twice a month on weekends and that is all the towing/hauling duty the truck will ever see then the 4.6L makes more sense.

I bought the 5.7L in 2007 since the only other viable option was the weak sauce 4.7L that managed poorer fuel economy and a ton less power than the new 5.7L, so it was a no brainer. Now Toyota offers two viable engines to choose from so the decision is more difficult when normal unloaded driving is considered. I have been lucky with my truck since it seems to consistently return 17-18MPG on the highway (where I do most of my driving) others get much less, some get more (I have at times seen 19MPG or more). The 4.6L theoretically should get better mileage, but I have no first hand experience driving one so I can't comment on whether or not it does return better real world mileage.

·
Registered
859 Posts
they dont have a DC 4x4 in 5.7??
I think they could find one if it meant getting the sale. You're the buyer. They don't give you deadlines. You give THEM deadlines. Fact is, he wants to sell one on already on his lot and will try to push that one on you. Unless you are getting a really good deal on the 4.6, hold out for what you really want, which seems to be to be the 5.7. Your post looks like you are trying to get some validation on a decision you are not 100 percent comfortable with.

·
Registered
750 Posts
In other words get the big stick. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Considered another way it will be much less expensive to buy the 5.7L now than it would be to turn around and trade in a 4.6L that you were dissatisfied with later.

·
Registered
859 Posts
In other words get the big stick. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Considered another way it will be much less expensive to buy the 5.7L now than it would be to turn around and trade in a 4.6L that you were dissatisfied with later.
Exactly what he said.

·
Registered
53 Posts
5.7L all the way. With conservative driving you can pull in 19mpg on the 5.7L. Plus, having the power on tap is really, really nice.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
as most have said the 5.7L I dont even know why toyota made the 4.7l or 4.0l version I guess since they had it in the FJ and taco they could transfer it over to the tundra thinking they are giving us choices or something.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
The 4.6 has a slight edge in mpg over the 5.7 but still not large enough to justify it. Go with the 5.7 and don't look back.

·
Banned
1,363 Posts
as most have said the 5.7L I dont even know why toyota made the 4.7l or 4.0l version I guess since they had it in the FJ and taco they could transfer it over to the tundra thinking they are giving us choices or something.
Shame on Toyota for creating such a sub par engine as the 4.7 that has been around for 10 years. And shame on them for giving people a choice. That is not the American way. To the OP...I have been very pleased with my 4.7, but I have nothing to tow. I am, however, fully confident, that my little 4.7 could tow whatever I would throw behind it. I could not justify an additional $50 per month increase on my insurance for a bigger engine especially when it was not needed. I also wanted the 4.7 specifically for its soundness. Now, with that being said, if I did have a substantial load to tow and I towed on a regular basis, then the 5.7 may be an option. However, if the price is right for you, jump on it.

·
Registered
588 Posts
A pontoon is a beast. Depending on which powerplant, the weight gets up there fast. Get the 5.7 and only look back to see who you just past!

·
Registered
544 Posts
Both engines will do it just fine. Even the V6 will do it too. The difference is with the bigger engine is you'll not worry about being underpowered and it'll be a better investment overtime. Your engine will use less strain and you'll be assured that if you ever need the extra power you'll have it. You'll really have the same mileage anyways and the extra 2k will be a better deal unless you can not spend the extra at all....;)

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
How will you ever add a super-charger without the 5.7L?!? :D:D:D Without that, you'll have nothing to look forward to when you're done with all the other mods (I could be examining my own situation...).

·
Registered
136 Posts
I think you will be fine with the 4.6L in this situation, the pontoon is not all that heavy and you have plenty of bulk in the overall truck with either either engine. I have had good luck with my 4.6 towing a bulky 6000 lb travel trailer. Gas mileage is somewhat better with the 4.6L IMO and that could become even more worth it if gas goes up anymore. I am happy with it, including the power, which is actually quite good. In fact, I was having a discussion with the sales manager at my toyota dealer the other day and he indicated they were actually selling more 4.6L tundra's right now.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
as many have said buy the 5.7....not sure why anyone would even consider the smaller engine...mileage is not any better and the improved resale value on the 5.7 will more than make up for the price differential on purchase.....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts